Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I recently returned from a 10,000 km caravan trip in QLD and am now in quarantine. I took the following but never needed any of them for the Treg so I'm really happy with its performance off road and as a tow vehicle:

Lithium jump starter,
Tyre repair kit,
Spare tyre,
Some simple tools,
Drag chain,
Foldable spade,
Personal Locator Beacon,
Well stocked first aid kit including snake bit compression bandages,
Litre of oil,
Blade fuses (I used one in the caravan after my wife blew a fuse trying to connect the TV),
4 tonne shackles and
Tracks for getting out of bogs.

And probably some other things that I'll add if I remember them.

I have never had to top up the oil. Is that normal for the Tregs? The oil level, which took me days to find when I first bought the car, always seems to be full.

·
Registered
2015 MY16 Touareg 180kw Pure White
117 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Recently returned from a fantastic trip form Melbourne to the Tip via the PDR and Weipa etc. Towed our 2.4T caravan the whole way up the PDR as well. Had a nice day trip from Cooktown to Cape Trib via Bloomfield too. Treg was perfect no issues at all. PDR was very ordinary in many places. The air suspension on the Treg and the caravan got a pounding.

The main things I took along for the ride-
Sat phone
Personal EPIRB
Portable UHF radio
basic first aid kit
10 Litres Oil & filter & $40 ebay oil pump - I mean, who wants to get under their car to undo a sump plug??!! (BTW, I have always changed oil every 7500-8500Kkms)
Fuel filter
Air filter
Full size spare (tyres are 20" Cooper Zeons) no punctures issues at all.
Picture repair kit
Air Compressor
Jump starter
Full socket set and all basic tools etc
Spare fuses
VW's OEM windscreen cleaner. Its the best stuff.
VAGCOM - VCDS Rosstech
Prior to trip changed all fluids inc Diffs and transfer case (apart from transmission which was done back at 95Kms)
Car had done 169kkms prior to trip now just over 180kkms.
Almost forgot.... Lastly, took along the mindset that if all failed I would be prepared to walk away from it all.

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,885 Posts
What about a mask 😉
Share some pictures

·
Learner
5,885 Posts
Reactions: Steve_L

·
Registered
229 Posts
heart pounding indeed! We kept our noses pretty clean and didn't venture too much on the OTT. The worst part was the 20kms or so south of the Jardine ferry where the corrugations where actually almost 300mm deep. Taking the sand on the inside of the white road markers was possible to ease things in some places tho. On our 2 weeks on the Cape we saw two well prepared vehicles written off. The insurance companies just truck the vehicles to Cairns for auction as is. The problem for the owners was how to get $20-30k of their add ons and all their stuff off the vehicles and back home from Weipa. The only damage we had broken on the whole trip was two wine glasses when the van was momentarily airborne due to an unforeseen washout. The air suspension on the van was exceptional.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Learner
5,885 Posts

·
Learner
5,885 Posts
heart pounding indeed! We kept our noses pretty clean and didn't venture too much on the OTT. The worst part was the 20kms or so south of the Jardine ferry where the corrugations where actually almost 300mm deep. Taking the sand on the inside of the white road markers was possible to ease things in some places tho. On our 2 weeks on the Cape we saw two well prepared vehicles written off. The insurance companies just truck the vehicles to Cairns for auction as is. The problem for the owners was how to get $20-30k of their add ons and all their stuff off the vehicles and back home from Weipa. The only damage we had broken on the whole trip was two wine glasses when the van was momentarily airborne due to an unforeseen washout. The air suspension on the van was exceptional.
Agree, so important to be so careful given the conditions and distance from home.
We had a roll over on front is close to Jardine, family came out ok but it was going to two days for the truck to arrive to retrieve and collect them... Holiday ruined and you say how to remove all that great and take it back... Those dusty corrugated gravel turns catch people out... Must say the touareg performs well, was great going thru the corners and coming out strong in the v10

Reactions: StevieC

·
Registered
229 Posts
Agree, so important to be so careful given the conditions and distance from home.
We had a roll over on front is close to Jardine, family came out ok but it was going to two days for the truck to arrive to retrieve and collect them... Holiday ruined and you say how to remove all that great and take it back... Those dusty corrugated gravel turns catch people out... Must say the touareg performs well, was great going thru the corners and coming out strong in the v10
Touareg performs exceptionally all round. It's just so capable and comfortable which many Cruiser owners don't get until you give them a drive. On this forum we are preaching to the converted tho!

·
Learner
5,885 Posts
Touareg performs exceptionally all round. It's just so capable and comfortable which many Cruiser owners don't get until you give them a drive. On this forum we are preaching to the converted tho!
Now we don't want everyone to be driving a Touareg 😉

Reactions: Steve_L

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Now we don't want everyone to be driving a Touareg 😉
Why not? Wouldn't that mean that there would be more demand for Treg servicing and parts and then we'd benefit, wouldn't we? :D There'd also be less people saying that the Tregs don't work for towing once people realise that they are great for towing from personal experience. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
You mentioned road side assistance. From experience I would recommend the top level of care to ensure you have long distance towing for your car AND caravan plus motel accommodation and hire car included. With the Toureg being a complex vehicle it would usually be difficult to repair in most remote areas and would need to be towed to a suitable workshop. I am in RACV Total Care and have unfortunately had reason to use their services. It's a relief to know they are there to help when it all turns to .................

·
Registered
229 Posts
You mentioned road side assistance. From experience I would recommend the top level of care to ensure you have long distance towing for your car AND caravan plus motel accommodation and hire car included. With the Toureg being a complex vehicle it would usually be difficult to repair in most remote areas and would need to be towed to a suitable workshop. I am in RACV Total Care and have unfortunately had reason to use their services. It's a relief to know they are there to help when it all turns to .................
Yep, good suggestion. Always have RACV Total Care and should have included it on the list, but when very remote I'm not sure it could be fully relied upon given the constraints in some areas.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Depends on how "remote" most people can and will go towing a caravan. I have seen recoveries from "bush tracks" that were on maps and were gazetted roads. I doubt they would recover you from say, the Simpson Desert - but if you did want to venture there (without a caravan of course) you can get special recovery insurance (eg from Club 4X4). It is expensive but you can take out the insurance just for the time you are very remote.

·
Learner
5,885 Posts
Perhaps, we should have our own clubtouareg assist, insurance.....🙂
Good idea re taking out the top level cover

Reactions: StevieC
21 - 40 of 40 Posts