Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm about to head off up the east coast of Australia with my wife and caravan and I was wondering what parts to carry for my 2015, TDI 3.0 litre Touareg? I don't intend on doing any heavy mechanical work because of my health. Changing a tyre is probably my limit but I thought some essential parts may be hard to get on the road.

I've thought I might take:

A full size spare wheel (under the caravan bed)
A full set of fuses.
Fuse pliers.
Engine oil (4 litres).
Jump starter (or jumper leads).
Multi bit tool set.
Torx bits set.
Torch.
Hydraulic bottle jack.
Spare key.
UHF CB Radio, Personal Locator Beacon.
Roadside assistance.
Good insurance (cover windscreen).
Change fuel filter during service before trip.
Type plug repair kit (for remote areas).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 Touareg Lux TDI, 2019 Passsat R-line
850 Posts
If you change your fuel filter regularly, that won't be an issue. I change mine every other oil change- peace of mind and cheap insurance.
Carry a couple liters of oil to top-up- 4 wouldn't be too many. IIRC Austraila doesn't use DEF, so no worries there. Fuses are a good idea, a decent fuse puller, and checker.
Some cribbing for the jack if you need to change a tire in soft soil. A cordless impact wrench is one of my favs.
A jump box- the Noco line is compact and capable.
A multi-bit set. I like Wiha or Wera, but whatever floats your boat and has lots of Torx bits.
A nice flashlight. A spare charge or two for your phone and appropriate cable.

The 7P Tregs are capable and reliable. I'd focus more on convenience and personal safety more than road-side overhauls

·
Registered
910 Posts
If you change your fuel filter regularly, that won't be an issue. I change mine every other oil change- peace of mind and cheap insurance.
Carry a couple liters of oil to top-up- 4 wouldn't be too many. IIRC Austraila doesn't use DEF, so no worries there. Fuses are a good idea, a decent fuse puller, and checker.
Some cribbing for the jack if you need to change a tire in soft soil. A cordless impact wrench is one of my favs.
A jump box- the Noco line is compact and capable.
A multi-bit set. I like Wiha or Wera, but whatever floats your boat and has lots of Torx bits.
A nice flashlight. A spare charge or two for your phone and appropriate cable.

The 7P Tregs are capable and reliable. I'd focus more on convenience and personal safety more than road-side overhauls
As Rocket Tech said above Take a Lithium 12v battery pack that can junp start it if the battery went flat. Something like a NOCO Boost XL GB50.

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,795 Posts
7p is pretty reliable, agree with the comments above, jumper cables or battery pack, second key leave it in the van for emergency, spares for Touareg and van, that jack is useless so a hydraulic bottle one would be good, UHF or satellite phone as required, upgrade insurance to cover for roadside, replacement car, windscreen etc etc
good luck, enjoy the trip

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carry a couple liters of oil to top-up.
Thanks for your reply.

I have the car serviced every 15000 ks. I hope that includes changing the fuel filter at appropriate times?

I forgot to mention the spare oil, base for jack but I'll add those to my original post.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In addition to the items listed above I also carried a kit to temporarily repair the centre bearing carrier if it failed. Kit consisted of about 8 segments of strong hose and a quantity of strong cable ties and stanley knife all in a zip lock bag. In my general tool kit I also carried a set of Tripple Square drive sockets, primarily to access the battery under the passenger seat. Never needed either but you never know !!

·
Registered
2016 Touareg Lux TDI, 2019 Passsat R-line
850 Posts
Diesel Fuel Filter is every 4 years or 40K Miles, whichever comes first here in the US. A Porsche master mechanic suggested halving that as cheap insurance and it sounded like good advice.
Dunno what the recommendation is down under, but halving it wouldn't hurt anything. Your shop is most likely to follow VW's recommendation unless you ask them to change it more often.

Carry ALOT of oil- definitely more than a quart/liter when towing.
Thanks for your reply.

I have the car serviced every 15000 ks. I hope that includes changing the fuel filter at appropriate times?

I forgot to mention the spare oil, base for jack but I'll add those to my original post.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In addition to the items listed above I also carried a kit to temporarily repair the centre bearing carrier if it failed....
I don't know what that is so there's not much use for me to carry those parts. However, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have one of these sets. You do need a 1/2" driver of your choice.
There is a link on the page where each tool is used on the Treg.
10 PC Triple Square Bit Set

Reactions: Steve_L

·
Registered
75 Posts
In addition to the items listed above I also carried a kit to temporarily repair the centre bearing carrier if it failed. Kit consisted of about 8 segments of strong hose and a quantity of strong cable ties and stanley knife all in a zip lock bag. In my general tool kit I also carried a set of Tripple Square drive sockets, primarily to access the battery under the passenger seat. Never needed either but you never know !!
I'd guess that playing with a crook centre bearing out in the bush would be a problem for a bloke with health problems who's limit is changing a wheel

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd guess that playing with a crook centre bearing out in the bush would be a problem for a bloke with health problems who's limit is changing a wheel
Yeah. I stopped working on my own cars back in the 70's. I let mechanics do that stuff for me now.

I just thought that the Tregs might have something that commonly goes wrong and if those parts are hard to get, then maybe I should carry them. Of course, changing a fuse should be easier than changing a wheel. ;-)

However, many thanks to all who replied to my question. It's still good advice.

Reactions: smclaren and Kbas

·
Registered
87 Posts
A few things. I'd be very surprised if you needed anything like 4l of oil. I did about 30000 ks last year in my 2014, carried 1 litre and used about 500ml. The east coast is by and large well populated and plenty of helpful people about on the off chance you had a problem. The CB is a good idea, but take a phone with Telstra simcard as it'll be more useful and in range a good part (most?) of the time to call your roadside assistance. Include a big shifter for your towball, make sure your hydraulic jack is big enough to lift your van wheel high enough to change it. Windscreen insurance definitely (just copped a rock on mine a few days ago. Service the car when it's due. Take a camera, and take your time. It's a great country we live in - enjoy!

·
Registered
53 Posts
We carry an InReach for emergency, HAM radio, Maxtrax, spare serpentine belt & tool to change it, National Luna battery case and ARB fridge to keep the beer cold. Also carry two 20l Scepter cans of water on the rear spare tire carrier. Then if its cold where we are going we adjust.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agree, however depends where you are when it goes. If you are a long way from roadside assistance or phone coverage, and the only option is DIY or flagging down someone to assist. Either way you will still need the bits to fix either yourself or someone else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We are in WA and are more remote than the Eastern states but a tyre plug repair kit may be useful, in some instances you don't need to remove the wheel, it will get you to the next town. We also carry a reliable compressor with the Touareg tyre inflator as backup and a tyre pressure gauge. We have 2 full size spares but that is probably not required over east. Good luck and take care but most of all enjoy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I eventually want to travel the west so I'll consider the tyre plug repair kit then.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Don't wait to get a tyre plug kit!

I can't remember the last time I removed a wheel to fix a puncture in the field or by the roadside.

One hole took five plugs and held until the new set of tyres that was already on order arrived a few days later.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts