Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2011 Touareg and the manual talks about 91 octane. This is a gas engine and I'm wondering if any of you have used the next lower octane in your Touareg engines?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Only premium, highest octane you can get. Yes I have run regular, but seeing as apparently low octane can result in carbon build up on the FSI motors, I would only run premium.

I did not know this when I purchased my 2007, and switched to premium quickly when I realized the cost was the same as my mileage was worse than terrible on regular.

I have heard people say only Tier 1 fuel too...I see signs at stations in my area for this...BUT after talking to some station attendants I confirmed something I had started to notice...the same truck delivering fuel at both Tier 1 and wholesale locations.

Lastly, there is no such thing as "plus," all it is is a blend of premium and regular. There are apparently only two tanks (three if diesel is sold) at service stations...selecting plus blends the fuel in the system before being pumped into your car.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's all about the additives. All fuel tanker trucks fill up at the same racks. Places like Chevron and Shell charge a higher premium because their additives are mixed/added at the rack. Places like Costco can charge less because their additives are mixed onsite, when the fuel gets delivered. Both options are Teir1.

If you are in a pinch, fill up with 89 octane. You won't hurt anything. But if you are trying to save money, buy a different vehicle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys. I had a Camry hybrid and switched from 89 to 87 octane part way through our ownership of the car and didn't see any difference in performance or mileage when doing this. That's why I asked.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I guess I feel like most people don't view wholesale as a tier 1 fuel. I personally don't care as I only buy wholesale because they sell volume (in my mind less stale).

What I AM curious about is ethanol free premium...

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

There is a place down the road from where I work I keep wanting to fill at just to see if it gets more power and mileage without ethanol...

·
Registered
826 Posts
Every GAS powered vehicle sold in NA can run on the lowest octane pump fuel. It's a requirement that manufacturers have to abide by because premium fuel might not be available throughout the countries they are sold in. Even Porsche, Ferrari, etc can run on 87 without problems.

The engine management will change the ignition timing to prevent knock and pre-detonation to keep the engine happy. You will not have maximum rated power using a grade of fuel lower than the one recommended by the manufacturer. If they recommend 91, then that will deliver maximum engine performance. Higher octane (GAS) fuels resist pre-detonation by being less ignitable from compression heat.

If you plan to tow on a trip, use the highest octane!!

I think worries about carbon buildup in the cylinder head are more due to other problems like oil blow by in the cylinders (worn rings) and worn valve guides (oil blow by). Oil isn't supposed to be burnt in the cylinder chambers excessively. Gasoline has a lot of detergents added to prevent carbon fouling.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I use Shell 93 octane most of the time. If I can't get to Shell I get BP or Marathon. All have been fine, saving the couple cents to use 87 or 89 is mute to me. I'll still waste the $5/day to swing by Starbux on the way to work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I couldn't believe how big of a difference in power and response when I finally finished the tank of 87 that the dealer put in my 2016 and I put in the 91. The 87 made the ECU to retard the timing so much that I thought I got stuck with a lemon...

Costco gas sucks. A friend of mine with an Audi A4 2.0t had "91" Costco gas, and it pinged like a diesel. He asked me what he could do; I told him put Chevron (or Mobile) 91 in there. And Voila! No more pinging.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That's odd. I've used Costco gas in all my German cars (B5 K04 A4, B5 K04 S4, B7 GT28RS A4, B5 Passat, CLK350, VR6 Touareg, V8FSI Touareg) and never had an issue for over 10 years.

I will admit, I do get a few extra miles when I use Chevron. But, I've never had any negative reactions from any of the engines/ECUs by putting Costco gas in any of the engines.

For OP, just go with what the Toolman has to say. He's spot on!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Do you prefer fillet steak to a McDonalds . . . ?

Feed the beast the best!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have heard people say only Tier 1 fuel too...I see signs at stations in my area for this...BUT after talking to some station attendants I confirmed something I had started to notice...the same truck delivering fuel at both Tier 1 and wholesale locations.

Lastly, there is no such thing as "plus," all it is is a blend of premium and regular. There are apparently only two tanks (three if diesel is sold) at service stations...selecting plus blends the fuel in the system before being pumped into your car.
This post is full of misinformation. First of all, most fuel trucks are internally segmented into different compartments. It is possible for a single truck to deliver multiple grades of fuel in the same load. Second, mid grade can be mixed or it can be in a seperate tank. It is usually easy enough to see the caps where they fill the tanks and count them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Funny story about Costco gas...

About 6-7 years ago, they decided to put some signs on the tops of their dispensers. They stated something to the effect of... "Guaranteed quality or your money back."

Wouldn't ya know it... within a couple days of those signs going up, they had all kinds of complaints and people demanding their money back on the tanks of gas they purchased. Some would just say their cars were pinging. Others would bring in repair bills/quotes, stating that their fuel burned up their fuel pumps, clogged their injectors, caused their ECUs to fry. Of course, being Costco, they issued the refunds on the fuel purchased. And those signs quickly came down.

Wouldn't ya know it??? As soon as the signs came down... all of a sudden no more complaints about the fuel.

So, figure how many billions of gallons of fuel Costco as a company purchases and sells. Whats the likelihood that they purchased a bad tanker full of fuel at the same time that those signs went up?

Just food for thought...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
This post is full of misinformation. First of all, most fuel trucks are internally segmented into different compartments. It is possible for a single truck to deliver multiple grades of fuel in the same load. Second, mid grade can be mixed or it can be in a seperate tank. It is usually easy enough to see the caps where they fill the tanks and count them.
Sorry if you are confused on my post. Let me clarify. Yes, one tanker different grades in one shipment. Summarized: 1) Jackson Oil (for example) delivers fuel (all types including diesel) to both Freddy's (Kroger store that was never rebraded) and Chevron. The same supplier both stations. There are some that firmly believe Chevron has its own special and wonderful fuel refinery...this is what I am pointing out as not being true as the SAME supplier supplies both (I work with some of these people). and 2) unrelated to the first point is mid grade is a mixture...not it's own deal. Premium and regular are separate products.

Yes detergents are different. Grifinsqest already explained that part very well regarding Chevron versus Costco.

Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I have always used premium in any vehicle that calls for it. Sure, you can use lower grades and it will run. But not optimally. I also have a VR6 (in an Eos) and I feed it premium, too.

If I wanted to save $, I would have keep my hybrid. :- p

As for the specific octane rating, remember that at different altitudes, the same grade is a different octane. So 91 is premium in some places, but any sea level, it's 93 or 94. So someone saying they run 87 octane might actually be running mid grade instead of regular..

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sorry if you are confused on my post. Let me clarify. Yes, one tanker different grades in one shipment. Summarized: 1) Jackson Oil (for example) delivers fuel (all types including diesel) to both Freddy's (Kroger store that was never rebraded) and Chevron. The same supplier both stations. There are some that firmly believe Chevron has its own special and wonderful fuel refinery...this is what I am pointing out as not being true as the SAME supplier supplies both (I work with some of these people). and 2) unrelated to the first point is mid grade is a mixture...not it's own deal. Premium and regular are separate products.

Yes detergents are different. Grifinsqest already explained that part very well regarding Chevron versus Costco.

Hope this helps you out.
I am not confused. You implied that the same truck delivering to tier 1 and regular stations meant the fuel is the same. That is not correct. That Jackson oil truck may very well be delivering a different product to Freddy's than they are to Chevron, even if it is the same truck making the deliveries on a single run.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
OK I see what is going on here: The noun fuel to me is base petroleum product. Detergent is branding. The fuel...base petroleum product is the same for Chevron and Costco The detergent is not. So if you refer to the fuel plus detergent product mixture either physically in a truck tank, ground tank, or your tank, yes they are different.

I stopped buying into Chevrons "marketing" because the detergent did nothing for me. I know in some laboratory some chemist proved fuel with "Techron" burns cleaner than with out and that mileage is improved, but to what extent? Does it make financial sense to buy Chevron versus Costco (or Freddies for me)? My conclusion is no it doesn't.

Two other aspects about wholesale fuel. They are a loss leader for some chains, meaning they are sold at a loss to pull people into shopping there. For example my next fill for premium will be $2.11 less an $0.80 discount. This means I am buying premium at $1.31 a gallon...when Chevron next door is selling it for 2.51! Yes, we have to shop at the store to get "points," but we like the store and their prices and selection can't be compared so why not?

Lastly, the service. I live in a state where I can't pump my own gasoline (you can pump diesel but most don't know this)...Yes it is illegal to pump your own gasoline...crazy I know. Chevron hires the bottom feeders to pump their fuel...these folks are shady and make mistakes like pour fuel down the side of my car, or crimp my fuel cap attachment part under the cap ruining the seal and causing me check engine light to come one. The wholesale workers are from the regular store...but rotated outside on some schedule. So I might see the same shelf stocker pumping fuel one week. These folks are much more "professional" or normal and I don't feel like I need to watch everything they do.

Sorry for the long post and for the poor communication on my part. Most people probably do think of the fuel as being the mixture or petroleum and detergent.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Screw this buy a TDI next time. You got plugs coils, carbon buildup and mileage compromised. 6 bucks a tank. Here it is like 70 cents difference x 26 gallons is more than 6 bucks . Engine lite comes on for carbon on valves its 6 hours labor by the book and hard to clean all the valves as it is a high angle motor. Its a good motor not great motor buy the TDI

1 - 20 of 30 Posts