Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 196 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
507 oil is designed to protect the DPF and cat, and to improve fuel economy. Mercedes has a similar standard, I think with less emphasis on fuel economy so 5w40 oils are allowed.

-J

· Registered
205 Posts
The big deal about 505 and 507 is specific protection for cam lobe wear. 507 is for dpf and 505 is non dpf. The way the tdi engine is designed, it requires a specific oil to prevent premature cam lobe wear.

Any modern diesel oil can deal with dpfs, but only 507 can deal with cam lobe wear prevention.
In the CR TDIs I don't think cam wear will be an issue since they have roller rockers now.

505.01 oils were also lower SAPS than 505.00. 505.00 is an old standard, it's what my 91 ECODiesel Jetta called for. I'll also point out again that although VW claims 505.01 is enough to protect the cams in PD TDIs, expierence has shown otherwise :frown2:

EDIT: I'll add that my dealer also has great pricing on the Castrol 507.00 oil. From what I've read it does a fine job of protecting the motor, and oil analysis in my Passat confirms it's fine for a 10k oil change interval :)

-J

· Registered
205 Posts
..., I have found from the dealer as well as all over the forums that the 2004 touareg TDI pumpe deuse engines (engine code bkw) need the 505.01 or 506.01 and that the 507 should not be used even though it is a newer oil.
This is true, and I would go further to say the 5w30 505.01 oil you can get at the dealer now also should not be used as it leads to cam lobe wear.

Use only 5w40 in a PD TDI.

-J

1 - 4 of 196 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.