Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened this plug thinking it was the oil drain plug and some oil drained out and quickly realized this isn't the oil plug.
Only let it drain a little and looked like engine oil. This is on a 2013 3.6L. What is this drain plug for?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I figured it was the transmission pan. Not much came out, maybe a few oz, but now looking to replace what came out. I just read DIY post and the poster pumped fluid back in. Is this the only way to refill?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Transmission fluid level check/fill plug. There is actually a tube that extends a few inches above the pan, If the fluid level is high at the specified test temperature, fluid will come out through there until at the correct level (top of tube). If fluid is low, it's really not possible to tell unless you add 1/2 liter or a liter of transmission fluid using a special connecting fill tube in place of the plug. Pump fluid into the pan, then disconnect and catch the excess. That's how it's done. No dipstick or other means to fill and check.

There's a specific temperature range the fluid is to be checked at. And the fill tube I bought on Amazon.
09G Transmission Service Oil Fluid Filling Adapter Change Fit for VW Audi VAS6262-2 ATF

The car has to be perfectly level. Really the best way is go out for a short drive to warm up the fluid. I drove around for 20 minutes on an errand, then put the Touareg up on jack stands and ramps. Got underneath, removed the plug with a pan underneath. A little came out, I installed the tube and pumped another liter in, disconnected the tube and let the excess flow out. I did a 12 liter flush/fill using the bucket method from another thread which work fine, but is very slow. The only method to be sure the level is proper s to buy the tube and perform the check.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Toolman.
Called the dealer and they said a transmission fluid flush would cost about $300. Now I can see why.
Is this a difficult DIY project and where can I get a pump to do this job?
Do I even need to add more since only a little came out?

·
Registered
767 Posts
The little that came out was from sloshing. A little oil will always come out when removing the plug, unless you are really low on fluid. I have a hand pump that fits the transmission fluid bottles. It looks like a big version of soap lotion dispenser. They are cheap (Amazon). Plus a short piece of vinyl tubing to pump it into the pan through the filler tube adapter.

I used the 2 bucket method which requires disconnecting the transmission cooler lines and gravity filling fresh fluid. It's a VERY slow process. But it is near 100% clear of old fluid except for the little bit left in the cooler. There is a HUGE thread detailing the process.

The dealer is quoting you a pan drop and refill. Which is NOT the same a true fluid change. They only add whatever the pan holds with new fluid. The rest (a lot) is held in the toque converter, lines, and cooler. My dealer quoted about the same price but I had to ask the service manager for a direct answer on how much was replaced. The other staff were not knowledgeable. He admitted it is only the fluid in the pan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the info Toolman.
Called the dealer and they said a transmission fluid flush would cost about $300. Now I can see why.
Is this a difficult DIY project and where can I get a pump to do this job?
Do I even need to add more since only a little came out?
You may want to take them up on this between the cost of a case of toyota type 4 trans fluid(about $100), a motive products fluid exchanger(about $90), 17mm allen socket/key for the stand pipe, and the pan gasket(around $30), and you'll need vagcom or a decent IR heat gun to measure correct operating temp of 32 degrees C, if memory serves me, you're easily at about $300 and you have never done it before.

The method they're quoting, although not the same as a true flush is going to get 8-9 out of the 13 or so quarts of total capacity, and if your fluid is the same color as engine oil you should do it sooner rather than later as it goes in cough syrup red and semi transparent.

The factory valve body assembly is the most sensitive component(s) to dirty fluid, reasonable fluid change frequency will prevent repairs that will cost huge $, or cause you to sack the vehicle as is for short cash. I would also make sure that both sealing washers on the stand pipe filler, and the drain you opened get replaced and I would check for any leakage after the job as you cannot check level without repeating the under vehicle fill procedure.

A Quick YouTube search...https://youtu.be/b7QPZuhf4rg

This guys method is adequate in leu of a way to plug into OBD to verify trans temp.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may want to take them up on this between the cost of a case of toyota type 4 trans fluid(about $100), a motive products fluid exchanger(about $90), 17mm allen socket/key for the stand pipe, and the pan gasket(around $30), and you'll need vagcom or a decent IR heat gun to measure correct operating temp of 32 degrees C, if memory serves me, you're easily at about $300 and you have never done it before.

The method they're quoting, although not the same as a true flush is going to get 8-9 out of the 13 or so quarts of total capacity, and if your fluid is the same color as engine oil you should do it sooner rather than later as it goes in cough syrup red and semi transparent.

The factory valve body assembly is the most sensitive component(s) to dirty fluid, reasonable fluid change frequency will prevent repairs that will cost huge $, or cause you to sack the vehicle as is for short cash. I would also make sure that both sealing washers on the stand pipe filler, and the drain you opened get replaced and I would check for any leakage after the job as you cannot check level without repeating the under vehicle fill procedure.

A Quick YouTube search...https://youtu.be/b7QPZuhf4rg

This guys method is adequate in leu of a way to plug into OBD to verify trans temp.
Definitely considering having the dealer do the flush. The fluid was brown, but the lighting wasn't the best, so it was hard to tell. Looks like this job is on the edge of diy and make a huge mess too.
Thanks for everyone's replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts