Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a backup ecu so that I can send it off for a tune, and eliminate any downtime. But everywhere I look, as far as eBay and Craigslist, I can never find an ecm for the V8 FSI motor. I find the older V8, plenty of V6, and several TDIs. But never an FSI V8.

Why is that?

Was this really that rare of a combination in the US?

Is it because of the limited years they put it in the Touareg???

What's the deal...?

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
FSI was in the 07 - 09 only..07 was only around for 3 months, they made maybe 5 or 6 of the 09s with a V8, and 08 was the only full year of them. This is why there are not many out there.

·
Registered
393 Posts
FSI was in the 07 - 09 only..07 was only around for 3 months, they made maybe 5 or 6 of the 09s with a V8, and 08 was the only full year of them. This is why there are not many out there.
Really only 5 or 6 09s with a V8? I feel privileged!

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
The FSI V8 in the S4/S5/Q7/A8 is the same engine. Broaden your search to look for an ecu out of one of them.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The FSI V8 in the S4/S5/Q7/A8 is the same engine. Broaden your search to look for an ecu out of one of them.
The Touareg V8 FSI has the Bosch MED9.1.1 ECU. I believe it's the same ECU that the S5 B8 has and probably other Audi models with the same 4.2 FSI.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was under the impression that I would need to find one with the same spec/software as the Touareg...? When I first contacted JHM, they asked me for a quick scan of my ECM controller, so they could start gathering data.

I'll check with them and see of an ECU from one of the other 4.2 FSI models will work just the same...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At least from what JHM says, we would need to have an ECU from the Touareg specifically. He said there were too many variables involved if an ECU from a different vehicle was to be used.

So... if anyone comes across a crashed Touareg, pull that ECU!!! If you find one for sale, either on eBay or Craigslist, BUY IT!!! Maybe we can all chip in some kind of crowd funding venture to get ONE DAMN ECU to be sent off, so that a file can be written for our big ol V8s.

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I purchased a flash tuner that plugs into the OBD2 port and flashed a custom e-tune from Malone tuning.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Much better throttle response but probably only a 20 HP gain. I also bypassed the secondary cats and installed a lightweight crank pulley.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts