Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has come up previously, but I couldn't find a discussion on this forum.

We previously towed a 4000 lb travel trailer with our 2013 TDI. No problem. Maybe I didn't read the manual carefully enough. We now have a 2017 Treg. On page 176 of the manual states maximum permissible trailer weight (trailer with brakes) is 7718 lbs. But on page 172 the same manual says "This vehicle has not been designed to tow a Class III trailer and must never be retrofitted to tow a Class III trailer..." WTH?
We all know about Class A, B and C. I tried googling "Class III Trailer"-- responses are always about the hitch- rating from 3,500 up to 8000 lbs.
So is VW saying don't tow a 4000 lb trailer with this 2017 Touareg???

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
969 Posts
I believe the issue is a class 3 hitch is up to 8000lbs and 800lbs tongue weight, whereas the Touareg is only capable of 7716lbs and 770lbs tongue weight. It’s a 2” receiver, which is a class 3 hitch. Just not full class 3 weight capacity.

You’re more than fine to tow your trailer. I tow a 33’ Airstream that’s dry 6200lbs with 650lbs tongue weight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree the U.S. VW Manual is a problem- which is why I am writing on this post. It says Max trailer weight 7718 lbs (which requires at least a Class 3 hitch assembly. The factory hitch receiver says right on it Trailer Max 7700 lbs and Tongue weight Max 616 lbs- the 2” ball is stamped 8,000 lbs Max. So the vehicle clearly has a Class 3 hitch assembly and capability.
However, the manual also says “this vehicle is not designed for a Class 3 trailer”. Like- the vehicle is rated Class 3, but don’t use it.

I am concluding that to stay legal and not go outside of what the manual says, I have to find a travel trailer within the weight limits with a 2” coupler to accommodate the 2” ball. I can’t change the ball to 2 5/16”.

I don’t think there is any such thing as a Class 3 trailer- unless VW means a trailer between 3500 and 8000 lbs- which would render the Touareg Class 3 hitch and tow capability unnecessary. I’m not inclined to worry about that whole VW contradiction.

·
Registered
2016 Touareg Lux TDI, 2019 Passsat R-line
753 Posts
I think if you add the word 'aftermarket' in the problematic phrase, it would clear things up the most. Just a guess though.
Another issue is some google results return class III as up to 6K lbs- which would make a class III hitch undersized.
The hitch components themselves look class IV- solid shank hitch adapter, heavy hitch frame, etc. I'm pretty confident the hitch system itself is not the weak point on these vehicles.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Keep in mind there are often translational issues that arise in German vehicles like this when looking at the owner's manuals

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts