Club Touareg Forum banner
161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
09 TDi
661 Posts
My man "150 is nothing for a key to be programed" Not $150 is nothing lmaooo.
if you say $150 for 11 nanoseconds of programming is a good deal, then I'm ok with it...just this once ;)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
* wrong hand drive

·
Registered
2008 Silver R50
113 Posts
WOW how does it feel to drive something like this?
A lot slower than the R50 and you have to concentrate as there are only three gears with no synchromesh. Great fun, but also scary as other road users will pull in front of you to fill the gap you are leaving, not realising that you only have rod operated drum brakes that take you about four times the distance that a modern car can stop in!

·
Registered
2008 Silver R50
113 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
It is interesting that a US company was exporting RHD cars, especially given the relatively small numbers back then.

But I think Canada was driving on the left until much later so perhaps the RHD market was bigger anyway.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Great fun, but also scary as other road users will pull in front of you to fill the gap you are leaving, not realising that you only have rod operated drum brakes that take you about four times the distance that a modern car can stop in!
Great fun indeed, but try driving a 1924 3 kitre Bentley that only has rear brakes and missed out on the factory upgrade of that year to 4-wheel braking!

·
Registered
09 TDi
661 Posts
being half Canadian I recall the conversion to metric (which was fun to say the least) but was not aware that we ever drove on the left

...and I was thrilled this morning when a mechanic friend and fellow 996 owner pointed out that all 4 of my wheels are mounted on the wrong sides

·
Registered
2008 Silver R50
113 Posts
Great fun indeed, but try driving a 1924 3 kitre Bentley that only has rear brakes and missed out on the factory upgrade of that year to 4-wheel braking!
Willys was, for a time, the second largest manufacturer of cars in the USA behind Ford. It produced 50,000 cars per year and the Knight engine, with its sleeve valves, was powerful and very quiet compared to its competition. It was also supplied in a variety of colours instead of Ford black. In Australia the imported chassis’s and engines were fitted with bodies made by local manufacturers such as Holden to avoid import taxes.
Unlike modern cars, where the hand brake is used for parking, in a vintage car they are more correctly termed “emergency brakes” operating a small drum brake on the drive shaft directly behind the gearbox. It is a powerful brake and you have to remember to yank it back hard while also stamping on the foot brake if it doesn’t look like you are going to stop in time!

·
Registered
2008 Silver R50
113 Posts
being half Canadian I recall the conversion to metric (which was fun to say the least) but was not aware that we ever drove on the left

...and I was thrilled this morning when a mechanic friend and fellow 996 owner pointed out that all 4 of my wheels are mounted on the wrong sides
Driving on the left came about from the time when you passed someone coming the other way on the left so that your sword arm (most people being right handed) was closest to the person. It is also the reason that spiral staircases go clockwise down so defenders had the advantage stabbing downwards. Even earlier, the Romans, most prolific road builders of their time, marched and drove carts on the left, so it is strange that Italians now drive on the right!

The first cars had steering in the centre. It was Henry Ford that, for technical reasons, put the steering wheel on the left side of his cars.

In the early years of English colonisation of North America, English driving customs were followed and the colonies drove on the left. After gaining independence from England some were anxious to cast off all remaining links with their British colonial past and gradually changed to right-hand driving. Canada was no exception:
  • British Columbia changed on 1 January 1922
  • New Brunswick on 1 December 1922
  • Nova Scotia on 15 April 1923
  • Prince Edward Island on 1 May 1924
  • Newfoundland drove on the left until 1947, and joined Canada in 1949.
  • The US changed between 1792 and 1813. The US and France began the change from the Left at about the same time.

·
Registered
2008 Silver R50
113 Posts
I have gone off topic, so to bring it back here is another car in my garage. It is a 1993 Nissan Leopard J.Ferie Y32 (sold in the USA as the Infinity J30). It was Nissan’s attempt to emulate high end European cars like the Jaguar, but their head of design was American and he produced a car that was so ugly that the Japanese hated it and so did the rest of the world! Only 50,000 were made, with only 7,000 being exported from Japan, and very few RHD. Shame as it has the 3 litre V6 used in the Datsun 300ZX and a load of technology for its time: electric everything, 4 wheel steering and bypass exhausts! Drives well but so pig ugly that I can’t sell it! I expect it is one of very few in Australia, if not the only one! Why do countries use names from other countries languages for their cars? J.Ferie is a bastardisation of the French for “Holiday”!

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
I have gone off topic, so to bring it back here is another car in my garage. It is a 1993 Nissan Leopard J.Ferie Y32 (sold in the USA as the Infinity J30). It was Nissan’s attempt to emulate high end European cars like the Jaguar, but their head of design was American and he produced a car that was so ugly that the Japanese hated it and so did the rest of the world! Only 50,000 were made, with only 7,000 being exported from Japan, and very few RHD. Shame as it has the 3 litre V6 used in the Datsun 300ZX and a load of technology for its time: electric everything, 4 wheel steering and bypass exhausts! Drives well but so pig ugly that I can’t sell it! I expect it is one of very few in Australia, if not the only one! Why do countries use names from other countries languages for their cars? J.Ferie is a bastardisation of the French for “Holiday”!

! View attachment 245684 View attachment 245685
You've got a wide range of cars!

161 - 175 of 175 Posts