Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
"Winter's coming" as the hideous quote says. I have a 2004 Treg, and I don't really know how does it work. Can it preheat the engine, or is it just for the interior? I have found it's manual, gladly all in german, with words as incomprehensibly long as the history of prussia's army. Now I know that I can turn it on inside the car, where I can set running times, and dates when to start up in the morning presumably. I suspect that the remote could turn it on as well, but it doesn't, nevermind the new batteries. But does it heat the engine, and if yes, in which modes does it do that?

Thanks for your help lads
Steven

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The Webasto does not operate if the fuel tank is less than quarter full.

I think it only really warms the car on the preset operation but it does help the engine get up to operating temperatures a lot faster fron a cold start.

I'll try and find the relevant self study program.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the ssp-s for this car, and in the "SSP-301 Aircon." it says that with AWH, that should be Aux. Water Heater, I should have two elecric water pumps, but I have three, two on the right side, and one under the right fender, part of the webasto. These should do the coolant after run, the Heat support, the Residual heat funcion, the Additional water heater, and the Aux. heater. But I don'n know what these peculiar words mean. The Coolant after run should be operated by the V51 pump, and the rest are to be done by the pump V55. I guess the third would be for the generator, and the fuel cooler.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and I forgot, I thought that after the "bitte taken" stuff, the webasto wouldn't work, as I have a temporary error code in the control unit of the AWH. So it's now full. Well, it was until a couple of miles in the Budapest suburbs today.. But no "Bitte tanken sie oder zyu whell bhe exzjecuted in die szide of zhe hroad" yet.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
In Europe the V10 Webasto has a special Engine Coolant Switch-off valve (heater) N279 which “opens to the large coolant circulation circuit” when the Webasto switches off. NA V10’s lack this valve but we still get some pretty good heating action if we retrofit the euro circuit board. Unaltered NA V-10 Webasto only give engine heat.

·
Registered
Black 2004 V10
265 Posts
Hi.
"Winter's coming" as the hideous quote says. I have a 2004 Treg, and I don't really know how does it work. Can it preheat the engine, or is it just for the interior? I have found it's manual, gladly all in german, with words as incomprehensibly long as the history of prussia's army. Now I know that I can turn it on inside the car, where I can set running times, and dates when to start up in the morning presumably. I suspect that the remote could turn it on as well, but it doesn't, nevermind the new batteries. But does it heat the engine, and if yes, in which modes does it do that?

Thanks for your help lads
Steven
I also have a 04 v10 with a webasto and have no clue how to use it or even turn it on, mine is an Australian modal if this makes any difference, i welcome any advice also, thanks Vaughan.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
Can it preheat the engine, or is it just for the interior?
Both - even though pre-heat is probably the wrong term here, as that's done by the glow plugs, and the Webasto only kicks in once the engine is started. The heater is automatically switched on (and then off, when not needed anymore) at low ambient temperatures after startup to allow the engine to reach operating temperature quicker, and then occasionally during driving when extra heat is needed to reach the pre-set cabin temperature. It's generally built into TDI models, because those engines - unlike petrol ones - generally do not generate enough waste heat. It might be also present on petrol engine models when they have the parking heater option, which allows you to start the heater without starting the engine itself or even entering the car, either using the remote or the overhead timer control.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I also have a 04 v10 with a webasto and have no clue how to use it or even turn it on, mine is an Australian modal if this makes any difference, i welcome any advice also, thanks Vaughan.

Unless it was fitted with the factory option to pre-warm the cabin it is automatic on and off, and controlled, as above, by the engine rather than the driver.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your time chaps!
So if I would start the webasto with the remote, it would only warm up the cabin, but when the engine is running and I switch the webasto on with the overhead unit, it would help the engine warm up? And to heat the cabin of course... So if I would set the timer to 6 AM, it will only heat the cabin, but not the engine, But when the engne is running it might switch itself on if the outside temperature is bleeding cold. Is that correct? This sounds.. bloody complicated.
Thanks again lads

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
984 Posts
Thank you for your time chaps!
So if I would start the webasto with the remote, it would only warm up the cabin, but when the engine is running and I switch the webasto on with the overhead unit, it would help the engine warm up? And to heat the cabin of course... So if I would set the timer to 6 AM, it will only heat the cabin, but not the engine, But when the engne is running it might switch itself on if the outside temperature is bleeding cold. Is that correct? This sounds.. bloody complicated.
Thanks again lads

Sounds similar to the Eberspacher unit fitted to later models - pre-warming the cabin reduces the engine warm up time considerably, and is nice to get into.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Engine always gets first priority. If you have euro control module 7L 819 the interior will also heat as a second priority.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts