Club Touareg Forum banner

161 - 180 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Amateur runner, cyclist, kayaker, husband, father.

Occasional seller of enterprise software (predictive analytics)... :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, Nat! Your post just kept getting better and better the more I read it. Being "that IT guy" for a school sounds like a pretty chill job. I would imagine that you get to interact with students enough to feel that you are introducing them to the truth-as-beauty of IT but not enough that they drive you crazy. My aunt is a teacher, and as much as she loves teaching, it's hugely stressful. Growing hops with your parents sounds like one of the most fun and relaxing things a family can do together. In my family we drink beer ad play board games and/or cards, and that is fun, but growing hops together sounds amazing.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I "The IT Guy" for a local school district as well as grow hops with my parents on the side.QUOTE]

Which variety? UK hop growers aim for high disease resistance with lower myrcene and they don't normally irrigate as they get enough rainfall.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I "The IT Guy" for a local school district as well as grow hops with my parents on the side.QUOTE]

Which variety? UK hop growers aim for high disease resistance with lower myrcene and they don't normally irrigate as they get enough rainfall.
We have a lot of cascade, nugget, willamette, chinook, and centennial. The centennials are our troublesome variety. A few years ago, we had a battle with mildew which plagues growers around here and centennials just plain did poorly. Our cascades are the studs. They have taken off and produced more per year than we thought possible and the plants aren't even fully matured yet.
In Michigan, we get some rainfall but not normally a ton so we have to irrigate intermittently.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'd have been inclined to dump the Centennials since the others are more resistant anyway. Do you overhead irrigate as this increases leaf wetness?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd have been inclined to dump the Centennials since the others are more resistant anyway. Do you overhead irrigate as this increases leaf wetness?
Our irrigation is a drip system from about a foot off the ground. Michigan isn't exactly a bad place to grow hops because we do get sufficient rainfall but not as much as say, Oregon. Oregon is one of those areas that is just prime for these plants.
Our Centennials are tough to keep alive. We try to keep ahead of things like mildew but they are so prone to it that we might have more money into the chemicals to keep them going than we get from selling them in the summer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am also an "IT Guy" for a local school district. Previously I worked as a Systems Administrator for a hospital, I definitely find working in a school to be less stressful. As well as having a passion for VWs (and keeping them running) I enjoy working on cars, sailing, biking and in general anything outdoors.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used to work with someone from Norway. It was very interesting to hear the stories he had! He was also in "IT" but on the development side.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just read the new posts on this thread after a hiatus. What cool jobs! Dave, you are officially the only cartographer I know. Joe, I ate chicken wings for dinner tonight, and I'm almost sure that the many napkins I used to clean the buffalo sauce from my hands were thanks to your hard work. Even better, it sounds like lots of your products are recyclable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Civil engineer with 40+ years design and construction of dams and hydroelectric projects in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), western Canada including Yukon, Nicaragua and Laos. Still working - one last big project to go!
This is literally what I'm going to school for. I think it's interesting and worthwhile work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm an IT guy for a school district in mid-Michigan. Working on my degree(slowly) in civil engineering, maybe make the roads a little smoother for the Treg.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Studying for a Masters in Retirement. If I last longer, I may aim for a PhD in Retirement.
Trouble is I have to make the program up as I go along.

161 - 180 of 187 Posts