Club Touareg Forum banner
1361 - 1380 of 1386 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Touareg TDI Executive white/terracotta
387 Posts
I purchased my 2007 when I was 27 she was a basically new repo…now I am nearly 41 so yeah. I would add I hope to keep mine for many years to come. She is technically 15, but still drives like the day I purchased her. Been about 12 years since we paid her off which is nice too. Our 2008 V8 on the other hand has been a money pit and really it’s entire 10 years with us. We maintain both I am talking about non maintenance costs here…like 8k in the last 12 months!
yeah and you’re talking about a T1/T2. Mine is a 2016 T4 TDI so I am feeling good about it’s prospects for longevity. Less to go wrong than the T1/T2 lol.

Your 07, how long has it spent outside vs in a garage? That’s my primary concern in the short term, it’ll be another 2-3 years before I get my own garage to keep it in. I have my own parking spot off-street in philly which minimizes likelihood of passersby damaging the exterior, but doesn’t help with weather, trees etc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I looked at your pic a little closer... that looks like an older 2720 series, so considering the recent ones have a 400lb TW empty, I'd speculate yours is heavier. Add to that all you loaded into it, and I'll bet that you were close to the TW rated limit. You can get a cheap TW scale and verify your loading so that you don't have to do any guessing.

I've got one of these for that reason
I have one of those as well. Oddly enough, the last time I weighed the tongue, it came up at 616 lbs. :D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
yeah and you’re talking about a T1/T2. Mine is a 2016 T4 TDI so I am feeling good about it’s prospects for longevity. Less to go wrong than the T1/T2 lol.

Your 07, how long has it spent outside vs in a garage? That’s my primary concern in the short term, it’ll be another 2-3 years before I get my own garage to keep it in. I have my own parking spot off-street in philly which minimizes likelihood of passersby damaging the exterior, but doesn’t help with weather, trees etc.
The 2007 was garaged day and night until 2019. Now it is outside full time. The 2008 has been garaged it’s entire life. We also have a 2019 Atlas we purchased new and it is outside full time (too tall with cargo carrier to fit). I wish I could fit them all in but there just is no way as our garage is just too small for two SUV’s.

I wax the SUV’s several times a year and run windshield covers to keep out the UV most of the year (should all the time). The Atlas has darkened windows to limo tint (front to as dark as legal) this keeps UV out of the interior. I am anal about paint and they vehicles all still look like the day they were made. The wax and tinting help (Tregs have front windows tinted too).

We live in neighborhood where everyone has to drive a full size diesel pickup with crew cab and none of these fit in the garages around here. Most folks keep their trucks pretty clean and they all have good paint and some have been there nearly 15 years or so.

Also our travel trailer is parked next to our home and I work out of it. It has been outside its entire life (7 years now) and I also wash and wax that and that is Fiberglas. The logos are all coming off of it-but I guess that is to be expected.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If you didn't want to believe what other people say on a forum, then It's kinda a waste of time being on here :eek:
You'd be surprised at how much time it actually takes to sift through BS and false information (on most forums) when looking for something specific to find the correct information..... but thanks for being concerned about my time management. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Throwing my hat in the ring, with a slice of comparison as well... (Comparison at the bottom)

'12 Touareg TDI Sport towing a 2020 Apex Nano 213RDS.
Redarc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller
Equalizer WDH
Quick Trailer specs:
3800lb Dry Weight
25ft OAL

So, this trip was last week (we took this exact trip in Oct '21 with our '14 Tacoma). Not a long trip, 70 miles one way (140 miles roundtrip), mainly freeway with some PNW hills mixed in. MPG for the trip was 13.9mpg. (in comparison the Tacoma was about 9-10mpg)
This was the maiden voyage with the Bloated GTI. I felt it handled the trailer well, nothing felt scary or out of control. We stayed between 60-65mph, occasionally up to 70mph. I haven't filled the tank back up to get an official MPG yet, but for 140-150miles round trip, it's over 1/2 tank full still. (maybe 14mpg???)
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

'14 Tacoma TRD 4x4, 4.0L 6spd Manual, 3" Lift. w/ Red Arc Tow Pro Elite
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Suspension:
For our first trip, we took the Tacoma, I felt it handled the trailer really well, I have airbags and heavier duty lift springs in the rear. I also had two additional washers set in the WDH at this time (6 total) and on the recent trip with the Touareg I only had 4, as i felt that was proper, I may add another one. In regards to an apples to apples comparison, aside from hitch height adjustment, this was the only orange... The Touareg felt much softer, suspension wise, but not terrible, again, another washer in the WDH might reduce some of this. I prefer a stiffer suspension feel, so the Tacoma was better in this category.

Engine:
I drive like a grandpa, even though I have quite a few years before that's an option. The Touareg (the TDI portion, really) wins here in regards to low engine RPM, less effort to maintain speed on hills and just overall quiet ride (there is also the larger tires that are much noisier and the Tacoma cab is not well dampened from noise to start with) the Tacoma took a bit more effort and forethought leading up to hills and inclines.

Drivetrain:
This is personal preference, I prefer the manual transmission for control. There were times I enjoyed the "hit the gas and go" of the Touareg and the extra two gears. But I found myself wanting to manually shift at times. I didn't enjoy worrying about what my transmission temps were doing in the Touareg, as I don't have a gauge yet. The Tacoma, I don't worry about it!

Comfort:
Goes to the Touareg, as we have a third passenger that doesn't fit well in the access cab of the Tacoma.

Storage:
Goes to the Tacoma, yes, the Touareg has a fair amount of storage space, but it's not a 6' bed with canopy spacious, you can't (well, you can if you want to) just toss a wet tarp, firewood, or muddy pair of boots in the back of the Touareg without some concern for safety or interior destruction.

Misc:
With the shorter wheelbase and rear overhang of the Touareg, the trailer and overall length felt much shorter and was easier to maneuver into the camp spot, compared to the Tacoma. I do like the height of the Tacoma, I think it offers better visibility.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. I have scrolled through this thread many times now and it was a decent part of my reason for purchasing the Bloated GTI. Thanks to those that have posted before me with their information, experiences, and opinions.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Throwing my hat in the ring, with a slice of comparison as well... (Comparison at the bottom)

Equalizer WDH
Quick Trailer specs:
3800lb Dry Weight
25ft OAL

So, this trip was last week (we took this exact trip in Oct '21 with our '14 Tacoma). Not a long trip, 70 miles one way (140 miles roundtrip), mainly freeway with some PNW hills mixed in.
This was the maiden voyage with the Bloated GTI. I felt it handled the trailer well, nothing felt scary or out of control. We stayed between 60-65mph, occasionally up to 70mph. I haven't filled the tank back up to get an official MPG yet, but for 140-150miles round trip, it's over 1/2 tank full still. (maybe 14mpg???)
View attachment 251197

'14 Tacoma TRD 4x4, 4.0L 6spd Manual, 3" Lift.
View attachment 251198

Suspension:
For our first trip, we took the Tacoma, I felt it handled the trailer really well, I have airbags and heavier duty lift springs in the rear. I also had two additional washers set in the WDH at this time (6 total) and on the recent trip with the Touareg I only had 4, as i felt that was proper, I may add another one. In regards to an apples to apples comparison, aside from hitch height adjustment, this was the only orange... The Touareg felt much softer, suspension wise, but not terrible, again, another washer in the WDH might reduce some of this. I prefer a stiffer suspension feel, so the Tacoma was better in this category.

Engine:
I drive like a grandpa, even though I have quite a few years before that's an option. The Touareg (the TDI portion, really) wins here in regards to low engine RPM, less effort to maintain speed on hills and just overall quiet ride (there is also the larger tires that are much noisier and the Tacoma cab is not well dampened from noise to start with) the Tacoma took a bit more effort and forethought leading up to hills and inclines.

Drivetrain:
This is personal preference, I prefer the manual transmission for control. There were times I enjoyed the "hit the gas and go" of the Touareg and the extra two gears. But I found myself wanting to manually shift at times. I didn't enjoy worrying about what my transmission temps were doing in the Touareg, as I don't have a gauge yet. The Tacoma, I don't worry about it!

Comfort:
Goes to the Touareg, as we have a third passenger that doesn't fit well in the access cab of the Tacoma.

Storage:
Goes to the Tacoma, yes, the Touareg has a fair amount of storage space, but it's not a 6' bed with canopy spacious, you can't (well, you can if you want to) just toss a wet tarp, firewood, or muddy pair of boots in the back of the Touareg without some concern for safety or interior destruction.

Misc:
With the shorter wheelbase and rear overhang of the Touareg, the trailer and overall length felt much shorter and was easier to maneuver into the camp spot, compared to the Tacoma. I do like the height of the Tacoma, I think it offers better visibility.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. I have scrolled through this thread many times now and it was a decent part of my reason for purchasing the Bloated GTI. Thanks to those that have posted before me with their information, experiences, and opinions.
Welcome to CT! Great first post and thanks for the experience and pictures. I believe the T3 (2011+) has a softer suspension versus the T1/T2 (pre-2011). I have no idea if you could swap springs however or if anyone has ever tried.

AT Tires work wonders for towing stability. I thoroughly enjoy the stiffer sidewall over lower profile “sporty” tires—my picture above had 19” wheels with the lower profile tire and they were not as capable or stable as a 17” with 65 series BF Goodrich KO2 AT tires..

·
Registered
4,706 Posts

Equalizer WDH
Quick Trailer specs:
3800lb Dry Weight
25ft OAL

So, this trip was last week (we took this exact trip in Oct '21 with our '14 Tacoma). Not a long trip, 70 miles one way (140 miles roundtrip), mainly freeway with some PNW hills mixed in.
View attachment 251197

'14 Tacoma TRD 4x4, 4.0L 6spd Manual, 3" Lift.
View attachment 251198

Suspension:

Engine:

Drivetrain:

Comfort:

Storage:

Misc:
If y
Nice looking Bullet Proof

If you have OEM tow setup and module, zero reason on the planet to touch the gear shift other than to put it into Drive

Fire wood you say? No problem :p

Car Food Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
387 Posts
Drivetrain:
I owned 3 manual transmission vehicles in the 10 years (2 GTIs / 1 Alltrack) before I got the Touareg this January, as well as a DSG GTI in the mix, so I certainly understand where you’re coming from.

As manual guys, we love that control we have over the transmission.

What I have learned with all VW automatics (inc my gf’s 2014 Jetta TDI, my mom’s 2011 CC), is that there are particular behaviors in specific circumstances in each mode (D, S, M). If you’re paying attention, it doesn’t take long to figure out what those particular behaviors/circumstances are.

last weekend I went to the mountains with friends, and 2 rode in the back of my Touareg with me. One of them asked on the way back whether the car was a manual, since from where she was sitting it looked Like I was moving it lots of ways (left/right, up/down). I think if you figure out those “perfect” behaviors you want and which modes they’re in, you will learn to at least appreciate the auto more since you can play to its strengths.

I use S for slowing down because of the downshifting. If I want to get zippy in traffic I’ll usually use M. If I’m in a hilly area I use M/S, both for holding gears longer for torque up hills, and for help slowing down going down hills. When I’m driving around Philly I use D. I haven’t towed yet, but I would likely stay in S if I was towing, for the same reasons stated about hilly areas (better power up hills and braking down hills).

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I owned 3 manual transmission vehicles in the 10 years (2 GTIs / 1 Alltrack) before I got the Touareg this January, as well as a DSG GTI in the mix, so I certainly understand where you’re coming from.

As manual guys, we love that control we have over the transmission.

What I have learned with all VW automatics (inc my gf’s 2014 Jetta TDI, my mom’s 2011 CC), is that there are particular behaviors in specific circumstances in each mode (D, S, M). If you’re paying attention, it doesn’t take long to figure out what those particular behaviors/circumstances are.

last weekend I went to the mountains with friends, and 2 rode in the back of my Touareg with me. One of them asked on the way back whether the car was a manual, since from where she was sitting it looked Like I was moving it lots of ways (left/right, up/down). I think if you figure out those “perfect” behaviors you want and which modes they’re in, you will learn to at least appreciate the auto more since you can play to its strengths.

I use S for slowing down because of the downshifting. If I want to get zippy in traffic I’ll usually use M. If I’m in a hilly area I use M/S, both for holding gears longer for torque up hills, and for help slowing down going down hills. When I’m driving around Philly I use D. I haven’t towed yet, but I would likely stay in S if I was towing, for the same reasons stated about hilly areas (better power up hills and braking down hills).
Tow mode changes gear shift strategy based on weight, throttle angle load etc. Don't use Sport.

Reactions: Golf Wang

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice looking Bullet Proof

If you have OEM tow setup and module, zero reason on the planet to touch the gear shift other than to put it into Drive

Fire wood you say? No problem :p
I'm not saying it CAN'T haul firewood! I'm not above hauling firewood or dirty things!

I left it in Drive most of the time, mainly to feel it out. Again, I wasn't super aggressive with it. But I didn't feel that it couldn't find a gear or happy medium somewhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I forgot to mention, I have the Red Arc Tow Pro Elite in both vehicles and really enjoy it. They're relatively easy to install and almost blend in to the surroundings, I installed mine where the push button start would have gone. I know this is a bit off topic, but still relevant to towing!

Gear shift Automotive lighting Automotive design Kitchen utensil Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I'm not saying it CAN'T haul firewood! I'm not above hauling firewood or dirty things!

I left it in Drive most of the time, mainly to feel it out. Again, I wasn't super aggressive with it. But I didn't feel that it couldn't find a gear or happy medium somewhere.
I was definitely kidding, there is a huge advantage to having a pickup truck for sure.

Also if you are stock then I can understand feeling that way, a tune really improves towing 100% better

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Nothing beats a utility trailer for hauling firewood with the Touareg.
I can gets lots of logs into my 5'x10' and the egg doesn't even break a sweat even if I max out the 2100lbs payload on it.
You'd need an HD long box to even come close to that payload and it would cost you lots more

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was definitely kidding, there is a huge advantage to having a pickup truck for sure.

Also if you are stock then I can understand feeling that way, a tune really improves towing 100% better
I figured you were kidding! :cool: What tune would you recommend? I have APR in my '02 GTI,. But I see there are other options as well. I think I will avoid Kerma at this point....

·
Registered
387 Posts
I figured you were kidding! :cool: What tune would you recommend? I have APR in my '02 GTI,. But I see there are other options as well. I think I will avoid Kerma at this point....
From what I can see, Malone is really the only big tuner I would trust with my Touareg TDI. They’re the only big player active in the segment.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Nothing beats a utility trailer for hauling firewood with the Touareg.
I can gets lots of logs into my 5'x10' and the egg doesn't even break a sweat even if I max out the 2100lbs payload on it.
You'd need an HD long box to even come close to that payload and it would cost you lots more
Yep fully agreed. AND you won't beat the crap out of your truck bed this way
Avoid kerma and the other big gasser tuners. Malone is the best for the touareg. Not because they're great, but they're ok and they're accessible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should avoid all tunes until your AEM extended warranty expires. :whistle:
View attachment 251203

(un)lucky for me, just called and confirmed today, my extended warranty expired about 621.234 miles ago :cautious:(n) (mainly sucks because I have a CEL in regards to the 1st bank NOX sensor)

Also filled up the tank, I got 13.9mpg on this trip, my friend who went with his Tacoma (similar to mine) and trailer (slightly smaller) got 9.5mpg, which is probably close to what I got when towing this same trip with my Tacoma.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Have fun with the nox sensor rabbit hole 🤦

1361 - 1380 of 1386 Posts