Club Touareg Forum banner

1221 - 1229 of 1229 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts

My new travel trailer. 28' overall length, 5300# empty. We're running a Blue Ox hitch setup, which works well. We've got nearly 1200 miles towing it already. Average around 14mpg at 63-65 mph. It's A LOT worse with just a few mph more. Frontal area is the big issue killing fuel economy.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Looks good that one, hitch height looks a bit high, check the chassis level with a spirit on underside of main chassis rail.

Seems like your consumption is as expected.

Pete.

·
Registered
77 Posts
View attachment 240428
My new travel trailer. 28' overall length, 5300# empty. We're running a Blue Ox hitch setup, which works well. We've got nearly 1200 miles towing it already. Average around 14mpg at 63-65 mph. It's A LOT worse with just a few mph more. Frontal area is the big issue killing fuel economy.
Wow, that's a lot of trailer for that tow vehicle. Glad it's working out for you. Gas or diesel 'treg? We have the V6 and it towed a 3500 lb trailer OK, but not great. Lots of high rev's to hold speed on the hills. We upgraded the trailer and bought an F-150 to tow it. I like knowing that I have almost 2X the towing capacity I need, and the long wheelbase provides great stability.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just upgraded from my construction orange 98 C2500HD tow vehicle. I think I need to go to a zero rise mount instead of the 3/4" rise on there now. And being a 2011 it does have the flickering LEDs when the lights are turned off. But I can't wait to not drive my ****box truck 13 hours. I also need to invest in a tongue scale considering the different vehicles with vastly different wheelbases and weight distribution.
After:
Cool set up! What’s the make and model of the trailer?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looks good that one, hitch height looks a bit high, check the chassis level with a spirit on underside of main chassis rail.

Pete.
I lowered the hitch. That picture is after it was already lowered twice at the dealership. They saw the Treg, and put it WAY up. We needed to get going & I was tired of fussing about it. Here it is as we were headed out to the beach a week ago. Bars weren't quite tight enough here, but that has been corrected also. It's a process getting the hitch setup correctly.

·
Registered
414 Posts
That looks great like that. Glad you got the level sorted out.

A really nice rig, I just love hooking up the caravan and getting the V10 working hard to put the van around the countryside!

Pete

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of trailer for that tow vehicle. Glad it's working out for you. Gas or diesel 'treg? We have the V6 and it towed a 3500 lb trailer OK, but not great. Lots of high rev's to hold speed on the hills. We upgraded the trailer and bought an F-150 to tow it. I like knowing that I have almost 2X the towing capacity I need, and the long wheelbase provides great stability.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
It's a TDi, 2016 model with the big turbo. Power is not an issue, but if I roll 63-65 it spends most of its time in 7 or 8. On hilly terrain it will drop another gear or two. I like listening to her work, but not screaming for the moon. I often use manual mode to prevent unnecessary shifting. Adaptive cruise control is fairly conservative with the shifts. If I'm running along in D7 & engage the cruise, it will immediately give D8 a try. In my opinion, if you're going to tow a bigger trailer with a T3, the gear display VCDS mod is a must. DEF consumption is 200-250mpg while towing, so she's working.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That looks great like that. Glad you got the level sorted out.

A really nice rig, I just love hooking up the caravan and getting the V10 working hard to put the van around the countryside!

Pete
It's fun towing with her. The dealership where we bought the trailer is one of the largest in the US. They sell 650 trailers PER MONTH!!! Salesman said that we may be the first ones ever to show up in a Touareg. Same for Cayenne/Q7/Bentayga. One of the technicians is a VW fan (SWEET R32 sitting in parking lot). The VW guy didn't take long to schlep his way over to our demo bay while we were checking out & hooking up. We have already spawned a bunch of conversations in campgrounds about what a proper tow vehicle looks like.....

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

Pete.
Completely agreed, hitch is about ~1-2" too high

It's a TDi, 2016 model with the big turbo. Power is not an issue, but if I roll 63-65 it spends most of its time in 7 or 8. On hilly terrain it will drop another gear or two. I like listening to her work, but not screaming for the moon. I often use manual mode to prevent unnecessary shifting. Adaptive cruise control is fairly conservative with the shifts. If I'm running along in D7 & engage the cruise, it will immediately give D8 a try. In my opinion, if you're going to tow a bigger trailer with a T3, the gear display VCDS mod is a must. DEF consumption is 200-250mpg while towing, so she's working.
Leave the car in drive and let the ECU's tow mode control the load. It does a lot better than you will believe me.

1221 - 1229 of 1229 Posts