Club Touareg Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1205 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
2010 Toureg V6. Towing Keystones Passport. 22.5 FT Factory tow pkg, Progidy RF brake controller. No wiring easy Pairing if you call Tekonsha Customer Support, they say put electrical tape on pin 5oclock, pair it and then remove the tape. First time only, or if you remove the batteries in the winter, redo that.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sea Ray 240 Sundancer with a Merc 350 Magnum 5.7L (~7,000 pounds w/trailer). Towed it 1,800+ km (1,200+ mi).

Reactions: Mike in Anchorage

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hooked up my caravan to my newly acquired R50 yesterday for a trial tow. Was 38.5C where I am too so apart from tow ability it was a good cooling system test. All went well with no apparent issues. Hitch setting in the photos is a bit high so I've dropped a couple of bolt holes at the hitch to lower the nose of the van hence level the chassis. Redarc Tow Pro Elite braking controller took a little while to do its initial configuration but I like that unit, had same on previous 7P.

Regards

Pete.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Reese Hitch (made in Australia) - 350kg ball/3500kg tow limit.

Pete.

Reactions: Geekwgn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Many thanks for all the good tips and advice about towing. Payback time, I'm hoping my notes and experiences will help someone else. Long version follows, and I have no ties with any products or companies mentioned, all just FYI.

In May 2019 I purchased a new boat and trailer, 5550lbs, and tow with 2016 V6 Sport (3.6 gas)

Mods to car: In Germany I bought a dead pedal from 2019 Touareg 3rd generation, part number 761864777B 4PK, because I have the Cornsilk yellow carpet and it was always dirty around the vinyl footrest. (Cheap, but not a perfect install into a Gen2, it requires cutting the pedal and some fiddling.) Also bought a second front tow eye, excellent for tying down long kayaks and 20' lumber. I didn't want rocks kicking up into my new boat, so I bought some cheap Chinese mud flaps but only installed the rears. They fit perfectly and screwed into wheel well trim, not into sheet metal, see separate post.

I don't have air suspension or any options except what came with the Technology pack, although I have some Thule aero roof racks.

Online wreckers sold me a used factory alloy. Another guy sold me a Goodyear Eagle LS-2 with the correct tread depth, but in a run-flat version unlike my OEM tires. I'm pretty sure you can't tow a heavy trailer with the space-saver, and leaving it behind didn't seem like a good option. To carry and store it I use a Classic Accessories 75150 OverDrive Custom Fit Spare Tire Cover, White, 29" - 29.75", but I would have preferred a color that doesn't get so dirty. And my tires just started disintegrating after 4 years and 18K miles, so I have to buy five new ones. I run 33psi front, 38-42 rear.

My new 23' boat weighs 4500lbs without gasoline but with the 200hp motor and gear. Overall length is 26.5' tongue to prop. My EZ-Loader aluminum trailer weighs 995lbs, and I don't have a spare wheel for it. I do have a GTE Tools LugStrong 26" Universal Compact Lug Wrench, but probably should buy at least a scissor jack.

I purchased Dometic DM-2899 Universal Milenco Aero3 Towing mirrors, tried them once and then sold them because I didn't need them. Most powerboats 19-30' are 8' 6" wide because of US road towing regs, and my standard Treg mirrors let me see both both lanes behind me for safe lane changes.

I purchased a Quietite SBM-5K-4-P-PC locking ball mount from [email protected]. This gives me a 3" lift, and it does not need shims in order to be perfectly quiet. This mount is only rated to 5000lbs / 500lb tongue. The Curt 40037 ball is rated to 7500lbs, covered in Reese 58117 lube. The other issue with the mount is that it is longer than recommended. My Treg hitch sticker says 6.15" max from hitch pin to center of ball, and I'm over 11". Sway is not a problem, and the distance between rear axle and tow ball is still shorter than most tow vehicles, so I feel comfortable with this mount for my boat, although I'm not an expert.

I can't use the 7000/700 mount and ball that came with the Treg because they are too low for my trailer. And taking the ball off is reportedly too hard, so I bought the Curt. My ideal hitch would be 7000/700 pounds, 4" lift, 6.16" setback and no clunking...let me know if you're out there!

Perhaps because my ball is higher and further aft than normal I have to keep my Euro to 5-pin adapter plugged in whenever the ball mount is attached, or else I get parking sensor beeps.

I already owned a Euro to 5-pin adapter without resistors, but when I got the EZ Loader with LED lights and surge brakes I had to switch to a CURT 57004 with resistors. Without the resistors my Gen2 thinks there's no trailer, regardless of what the 2016 manual says. My symptoms were: trailer brakes lock when reversing, parking sensor and camera are angry that I'm backing into a boat, car alarm doesn't trigger if locked and boat is disconnected, and the cute utility trailer graphic doesn't show on the touchscreen in reverse. It's annoying that when I launch I have to submerge the LED brake lights, which are ON, because I need the surge brake lockout. My trailer has two manual overrides but they are nearly impossible to engage.

Haven't exceeded 65MPH while towing, and don't plan to. Unloaded I get 22MPG in the Florida Keys, where it is flat. Towing the boat I get around 13MPG. It feels very good on the road. I leave it in D, and sometimes use the cruise. My wife says she notices that cornering takes less steering input than when she's not towing...the oversteer is mild. We're both very happy with the Treg -- she wanted to get a second one for herself, but I talked her into a smaller Audi Q5.

The EZ-Loader folks fixed a little problem for me -- the trailer came with axles too far forward. My tongue weight was a bit light, only 300lbs instead of 400lbs, now fixed. My hitch height to top of receiver is about 19" with no trailer, 18.5 with empty trailer and 18 with boat+trailer.

I have launched at two concrete ramps. I've also launched and retrieved at the unimproved beach ramp at the end of my street. I used off-road mode to climb back up the sand and grass, with some wheel slip, and yes, it's a bit extreme. I have to admit I was surprised it came up without any issues.

Other experiences with my Treg: my air box is dry and my air filter is intact after 4 years and 18K miles, including the usual rain plus Hurricane Irma. My wheel speed sensors all died in the salt air and humidity, one by one each year since new, the first 3 covered by warranty. None of the replacements has died yet. Earlier in the year I had some blockage and overflows of my AC drains into the passenger footwell, but a local guy blew them out for me at last month's Mobil 1 oil change. I have stale AC smell now, will get some pro help sanitizing the system.

I also have a Smittybilt 7610 Receiver Tow Hook and two chains, which were great after the hurricane to pull trees and stumps out to the street. Touareg Tractor! For trailers I have two Smittybilt 13046B D-Ring 1/2" 2 ton shackles, because the trailer safety cables can't directly fit on the Treg hitch loops. Without the trailer they rattled a bit, so I put some plastidip on the bows and some garden hose pieces around the pins...all fixed.

In October I accidently pulled a heavy utility trailer, without problem. I rented a 2470lb U-haul 6x12 utility, and went to buy 2 tons of crushed coral. They gave me one scoop of Miami 1/2", it weighed 2.55t, so I U-hauled all 7570lbs home. 6.29t on the scale including me and the car, 12580lbs. Acceleration was not very good, unlike when I tow my boat, so I wouldn't want to tow that weight with the V6 very far. The comfortable limit for the V6 seems to be around 5500lbs, not 7500lbs.

If left overnight, my car has always started up as if it wasn't firing on all cylinders, even though idle RPMs are normal. I've read here this is common, but now that you can buy an aftermarket PVC valve separately from the valve cover I might try that. I've tried dealer de-coking/carbon-removal, fuel additives and different grades of gas, and those help a little, but not enough. We haven't tried the "Italian tune-up" of high reving very much. I usually buy Mobil mid-grade.

I do not reprogram the transmission, I don't know where the green menu is, no one around me seems to have a VAG-COM, and I would love to find an independent that loves my car as much as I do. Ditto for the boat.

Thanks again for the good info in this forum -- it helped me a lot! Happy New Year.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You say you run front at 33 PSI and rear at 38 PSI, which seems to be the default pressures in the system. Any reason why you do not inflate the fronts further? I pushed mine up to 38 PSI front and rear and check them while driving highway speeds. I haven't seen them go over 42 PSI and all four stay consistently the same pressure. Occasionally the right rear will be one PSI higher, which I assume to mean that wheel is doing more of the tractive work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was a bit unclear -- on long runs I change the rears from 38 to 42psi. If I'm going to the local ramps I don't bother. I have tried 35 in the front while towing heavy, and I didn't like the steering feel. It oversteers just that little bit more, so I actually pulled over one time and let out the 2psi I didn't want. I worry about rain, and I don't want it skatey. That was before EZ-Loader moved the axles, so I should repeat this and try for 35 in the front again. As I wrote, I need to buy all new tires, and I'll revisit my pressures with Continental CrossContact LX25 Radial Tire - 255/55R18 109H XL. I'm open to different ideas, and I don't pretend I know the absolute best pressures. My hot/cold delta is also 4 degrees F -- interesting because it's so much hotter in Florida than Alaska.

·
Registered
102 Posts
FWIW, we don't have this vehicle here in Alaska. It's in the Lower 48 to tow the Airstream. So the pressures I noted were on a drive between Austin and Las Vegas.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Sea Ray 240 Sundancer with a Merc 350 Magnum 5.7L (~7,000 pounds w/trailer). Towed it 1,800+ km (1,200+ mi).
View attachment 234408
Holy crap thats a boat. I had been considering buying one actually over my 20' speed boat, but wasn't sure how the Touareg would handle it. Any issues? How did it do launching and then once packing up to leave?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Launching the 23' Crownline from the EZ-Loader is easier than my 17' Boston Whaler, except I have to leave the lights connected so I can reverse. No issues towing at all, it feels very secure and the performance at 5500lbs is good enough. I was very surprised the Touareg would pull it up the beach ramp, again, not much slip and nothing to get excited about. It's a good combination, but I wouldn't want to tow 6500lbs or more with the V6 gas models. Also, if the boat was the same size but 1000 lbs lighter, it might have crosswind issues, but it doesn't. As you might see from the photos, the 23' Crownline has a huge stern bracket and platform, making it almost 26 feet bow to motor. Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
951 Posts
^Beautiful boat. The longer swimdeck definitely explains why it looks closer to 26,27' instead of 23. Heck of a boat though. Makes the Touareg look tiny lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
7X14 enclosed cargo trailer from time to time. Tows it real well. Loaded including trailer about 5000lbs. 2011 Q7 TDI

1181 - 1200 of 1205 Posts