Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1180 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what everyone tows with their Touareg ( meaning race cars, horses, etc..), if it's a V6, V8 or TDI and what kind of trailer?

I'm looking for a trailer to do odd jobs.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Tregs are great tractors, more so if they drink diesel..........torque on tap! But, I wouldn't be testing out the 3500kg limit too often. I don't care what VW say about 3500kg capacity. Tow that weight too often and you'll blow your tranny and turbo/s. I always work off 75% of the max stated capacity and you'll be safe. I tow a 21' boat on a tandem, disc-braked trailer. It's a breeze.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
This kind of Trailer.........2100 kgs and 6.5 metres ( 21 feet ) Treg tows it without raising a sweat...

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
This kind of Trailer.........2100 kgs and 6.5 metres ( 21 feet ) Treg tows it without raising a sweat...
You grey nomad, you:p I've just had my service done and the the Sam the Man bash plate goes on soon. A few mods I suspect with fasteners.

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
I tow an 18 ft flatbed, a 5x10 enclosed haulmark, a 1930's vintage utility trailer (for sale) and an occasional Uhaul with mopar muscle cars on it

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
These are my two toys, 2570kgs (5650lbs) fishing boat and my V6TDI with 18" Cayenne rims.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
I'm another boatie tragic (as in where the cost of boat ownership far exceeds Treg ownership).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Here you go

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
So max weight about 5,700 pounds and tongue weight at about 10% of that for non TDI V8?

siberian

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
Decided to RTFM and found the following data as I'm going to buy a trailer for some serious fishing (off to get some King salmons in about 10 days) and in July to Kenai for silvers and halibut. Looking at 26 feet to handle me and the kids.

Data I gathered is:

Trailer with brakes: 7,716 lbs

Trailer sans brakes: 1,653 lbs

Tongue weight: 308 lbs (boy that threw me)

Total weight (vehicle + trailer): 14,209 lbs

Can any of you who posted (and others still to) share weight being towed? I'm especially interested in tongue weights.

TIA

siberian

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Siberian, are you looking at maximums? here are some numbers you need to consider:

Max trailer weight 7716 (lets just talk braked trailers for arguments sake)
GVWR: this is the MAX your Touareg can weigh including itself, passengers, any cargo, fuel and the tongue weight of the trailer. You can find GVWR in the doorjam sticker, its roughly 6900lbs for most touaregs but will vary on engine/options
Payload: this is GVWR less the weight of your Touareg...a VERY important number and not all that hard to exceed...it is more on V6s and less on V10 (weight of the engine is the factor). A typical touareg average is 1100lbs, so that means if you are towing a trailer with tongue weight of 700lbs, you only have 400lbs of people/cargo/etc carrying capacity!
GCVWR: total weight of touareg and all the crap onboard (inlcude tongue weight) + total weight of trailer and all the crap onboard LESS tongue weight.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
A couple of my towing setups...I have a few others which I'll post one of these days

Attachments

1 - 20 of 1180 Posts