Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Silver V8, pretty base options. First off I LOVE IT.

Drove the 6, nice, but not powerful enough - this 8 begs for skinny pedal.

I bought it used with 5k something on it - I'm curious after reading all the posts what exactly constitutes a low VIN number. And exactly which numbers one is referring to when you say 123456.

Thanks all,
Jeff

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh ok.

Mine's 45xxx

so does that mean there were 45000 before me? Seems high. Does this make it a low one? And just to close the deal on me asking too many questions - will calling VWoA with my VIN be enough to find out oustanding TSB's that haven't been performed? Anyone running synthetic oil and experiences if so.

Thanks again,
Jeff

· Registered
121 Posts
If you got to other site - VWVortex - http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=39
The members often have there vin no. in the profile ( A great idea for this site also - as well as option pkgs )
There are low vins there of 05xxx and 09xxx. I think there was even a survey of vin numbers in one post. Use the search program there.

· Registered
139 Posts
Mine's a 02xxx vin... first Touareg sold in the USA (or at the very least a tie... I picked it up at the port the first day dealers were allowed to get them).

There's a post somewhere here where I recap my experiences so far.

If your VIN seems high, it refers to all Touaregs made for the world market.

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I still didn't think 80k of them had been made - not bad production numbers. I'm more than happy with ours - just need to get some of the flashes done - and an alignment - all things I've been reading about in the boards.

Thanks,
J

· Registered
4 Posts
VIN Confusion

I guess I am a bit slow regarding this VIN # thing. :confused2: I just purchased my
T-Reg. It apparently had been sitting a while (prior to the Jan 04 price increase), so I got a good deal. However, when I look at the VIN it appears to be higher than what seems to constitute a low VIN. How do you guys determine where the XXX's begin? Each of the last 5 digits of my VIN are all greater than zero.

Thanks,
Blue-Silver V6
Prem II
4 Corner, Park Assist[/u]

· Administrator
4,378 Posts
My VIN constitutes low: in the mid 1900 range.

· Registered
4 Posts
O.K. I gues I too have a low VIN. My VIN is 229XX. Is there anything I should worry about? Why is VIN so important to everyone.

Blue-Silver, V6
Prem II, Lex, Park Assist, Air

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
tbertz said:
O.K. I gues I too have a low VIN. My VIN is 229XX. Is there anything I should worry about? Why is VIN so important to everyone.

Blue-Silver, V6
Prem II, Lex, Park Assist, Air
You shouldn't be worried about anything. The talk about low VIN versus high VIN is pure BS. I know people who have had problems with low VIN and others who have had problems with high VIN. The only difference between them is that the early cars (I think below 8000) didn't have some features foudn on later cars such as hatch assist and window shades. But some early cars had upgraded consoles when they should have had standard consoles.

If you have a low VIN car, get the TSBs applied and your car will have all the updates of a high VIN car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.