Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only have car for 2 weeks. Musty smell did not disappear.
Carpet felt dry, but today went a bit further, and found foam on driver side carpet wet.
Got door sill out, but want to remove the piece next to the foot rest to lift up the carpet.

Sunroof drains well (tested with water).
Not so sure about 'aquarium' (fake firewall area engine bay/windshield. Want to have carpet up first before filling this area for test.

How can I get the 'next to foot rest' door sill piece (in front of regulator door sill, has hood release handle) off?

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
725 Posts
Sounds like you bought a flood car. If the drains are clear then the water probably came in from the door. Check under the carpet in the back and other side and the spare tire area. There is foam in that area that would absorb water if it was flooded.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can I get the 'next to foot rest' door sill piece (in front of regular door sill, has hood release handle) off?

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
725 Posts
Just start at the top and work your way down. It’s a basic trim job... remove the fuse cover and the trim pieces. It will make sense as you do it.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It's easy to see if the bulkhead/plenum chamber drain are clear simply by removing the rubber valve in each of the front wheel arches and checking for crud up the now exposed drain tube.

Clear any crud out, then place a slow running hose at the bottom of the windscreen on each side in turn and watch the water flood out of the cleared tube.

Then throw the rubber valves in the bin!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can I get the 'next to foot rest' door sill piece (in front of regulator door sill, has hood release handle) off?
Edit: WRONG! See below: "The hood release handle has to be pried off" (NOT nice, takes quite a lot of force; I can see plastic tabs breaking in the process at some point).
Then yank lower A pillar piece towards rear of car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With door sill, hood release handle, lower A pillar removed, was able to lift up carpet. Foam soaked wet.
Note: no rain 3 days or so, 85-90 deg F temps, AC running.

Lower windshield cover removed (wiper arms removed). Filled fake fire wall with garden hose, drains fine (no water ingress).
Hosed sunroof (closed), windshield (driver side), driver side door, window, mirror, fender: no water ingress.

Kept carpet up and towels under to dry out. Assemble car today and hose down again. Will run water through sunroof drains again.

Aside from sunroof drains and firewall drain, are there other leak points to check (while carpet is up for quick check)?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The hood release handle has to be pried off (NOT nice, takes quite a lot of force; I can see plastic tabs breaking in the process at some point).
NO! Just saw this video. Hood release handle has tab in the back to be pressed to get handle off!
Luckily, it does not seem that I broke it. Photo of mine attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The air con condensate tube is another source of water ingress in the car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The air con condensate tube is another source of water ingress in the car.
Isn't that typically leaking on the passenger (right) front carpet, glove box area?
Is there one on driver side (left)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this issue before. This is sunroof leaking. Factory defect. You need to remove the sunroof and apply seal around the sunroof frame and body. Also drain water or it will damage some wires under the driver seat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has same issue with my 2010 Touareg. Took it to dealer...they said "LF sunroof drain drained slowly...cleaned drain. Water started draining quickly and found no water on driver side carpet". No issues since then...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few downpours, no water (yet).
I will put back together and observe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts