Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my morning commute and turned to come up the final hill. as soon as I got on the throttle THUMP THUMP THUMP... Followed by me yelling "F*CK!!! I know what that is!" Managed to limp it into the parking lot of a local brewery which was unfortunately not yet open and s co-worker came and picked me up. Guess I have some parts to order and a tow to arrange!

Has anyone done the Eurowise center support bearing install? Is there a better option?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Bearing or bearing support?

For the bearing support you have this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bearing or bearing support?

For the bearing support you have this:

Hopefully just the support, where I ended up parking was gravel so i'll have to inspect further when I get it home

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The Jimi Fix can be done in the brewery yard in half an hour or so!

They will probably even have some appropriate tubing in their workshop if you buy a case or two!!

.https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/825226-cardan-shaft.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Jimi Fix can be done in the brewery yard in half an hour or so!

They will probably even have some appropriate tubing in their workshop if you buy a case or two!!

.https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/825226-cardan-shaft.html
Luckily I have a friend with a flatbed trailer who is coming to get me and take it home. I'm going to try the Jimi Fix as sketchy as it may look 😂

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Sketchy but does the job.
Use coolant hose not fuel hose.
Insert hoses by pair in the top then go hose by hose until you get the 8 parts around the bearing. Center them well around the bearing. Mark how the cover place is mounted or clean and mark the bolts on the cover plate before doing any thing. Use as many razors as you can to remove all rubber from the bearing. Don’t panic if the first razor stops cutting as the razor blades loose their edge quick. Take pics if you can. Don’t use large zip ties. Use black zip ties. Voilà. That’s all I can remember.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sketchy but does the job.
Use coolant hose not fuel hose.
Insert hoses by pair in the top then go hose by hose until you get the 8 parts around the bearing. Center them well around the bearing. Mark how the cover place is mounted or clean and mark the bolts on the cover plate before doing any thing. Use as many razors as you can to remove all rubber from the bearing. Don’t panic if the first razor stops cutting as the razor blades loose their edge quick. Take pics if you can. Don’t use large zip ties. Use black zip ties. Voilà. That’s all I can remember.

Don't use large zip ties?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So my buddy with a trailer meets me at my Treg to pick it up. It's not a flatbed like I remembered him having but a nice shiny new enclosed one he will be hauling his drag car with this season. He comes walking back from the truck with a look on his face as if to say "$hit". He says "we may have a problem, I left the key to these locks at the house" The house he's just driven 2 hours from to come do me this favor. These are not dinky Master locks, these are the fairly beefy round ones like you get when you rent a storage unit, perfect... OH! I forgot to mention that there was a very ominous line of black clouds rolling our way and we could already hear thunder.

I remembered when I parked there this morning that I saw some contractors pull in with a tool trailer of sorts so I ran over to see if they had something to cut these locks with. I can't find them but I can hear them so I start following the banging noises. I'm walking with a purpose through the now open brewery, weaving through hipsters and soccer mom's trying to find these guys until I figure out where they are, ON THE ROOF. FAAAAAAHHHHHK! I go back outside to look and they are out of line of sight. I head back to my friend hoping maybe he found a spare key or something buried in his truck to use on the locks, he had not.

Then more thunder, louder and closer. This apparently prompted the roofers to come down and start packing up. I see one of the trucks moving through the parking lot and thought for sure he was leaving but was actually pulling closer to load up their stuff. I scurry back over just as he parks and ask "Hey man, hate to bother you but" (and I tell him the story about being broke down and the locks)
So I ask "I don't supposed you have like an angle grinder with a cut off wheel or something that I could use for a minute?" He turns to his right and points "You mean like that one right there?" "YES!"
He kind of chuckles and says "Go for it pal, that rain is comin" "I'll be right back!" (sprint back to the trailer) My buddy starts cutting, rain slowly starting to fall, both of us getting nervous as it's gotten really dark and the thunder is increasing in both intensity and frequency. He get's the locks off, thank goodness. I run the tool back over to the guy(s) packing up and I slide him a $20 and say "Grab some beer on the way home, thanks!" (We are literally 10 feet from the entrance to the brewery) He says "Thanks, at least I don't have to go far for the beer!"

Back to the trailer I go running, by now drenched in part sweat and part rain water. I get in the Touareg and move it in line to get it in the trailer with my friend guiding me forward to reach the winch line he has stretched out and waiting. He hooks it up, I steer as he starts the winch which starts pulling but comes to a sudden halt when the front tires reach the lip of the trailer but continues slowly after they get over the hump. But very slowly, like somethings wrong slowly. I yell to him "You know this thing weighs almost 6,000 pounds right?" He says "Well my winch is only rated to 4500 so I guess you better drive it in!" So, after all these trials and tribulations I creep the Touareg into the trailer, we strap it in and shut the door JUST in time to beat the coming downpour and we are on our way to my house. No drama on the other end getting it out of the trailer...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well I’m into it now but have a question. How much play in the bearing itself is too much? See video here…

sorry! Fixed the link.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,402 Posts
The original and fixed bearing do move. A few people tried to mount it "firm" and it was always a disaster. You end up with a ton of vibration that transfers into the cabin.

Apparently the mount is supposed to do a Sir Dance-A-Lot Act while you are rolling down the road.

So how is it driving?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Like I said: soft coolant hose to have some room for dampenning the vibration. I used a fuel hose (what I have at hand first time) and had vibrations at 70/80 kmh. I redid with a coolant hose. There a Gates hoses part number in the Cayenne jimi fix thread. That’s what I used. No vibrations.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The original and fixed bearing do move. A few people tried to mount it "firm" and it was always a disaster. You end up with a ton of vibration that transfers into the cabin.

Apparently the mount is supposed to do a Sir Dance-A-Lot Act while you are rolling down the road.

So how is it driving?
Drives great! took about a 100 mile round trip on Sunday and it was like nothing ever happened. I'm not sure how the vibration before compares to now because I wasn't really paying attention until it actually let loose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like I said: soft coolant hose to have some room for dampenning the vibration. I used a fuel hose (what I have at hand first time) and had vibrations at 70/80 kmh. I redid with a coolant hose. There a Gates hoses part number in the Cayenne jimi fix thread. That’s what I used. No vibrations.

I used heater hose as well, 5/8" seems to be just the right size for the job. I did gently pop the orange seal out and packed some grease into the bearing...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts