Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a weird noise form the engine when I depress the acceleration pedal. Engine is also a little louder than it used to be. Could it be because I used the 87 AKI fuel once? Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like a creaking wood floor in an old house but it only happens for a second but it happens every time I step on the acceleration.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Will it occur if you're sitting still with the transmission in neutral and you shift it into drive without touching the accelerator?

What I'm wondering is if it's motor mounts...

Lower octane gas will just reduce available power as the computer retards timing to reduce knocking. I always run premium because I'm stupid and like maximum power. LOL!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I had a similar sound on a 2010 Jetta TDI... on mine it was strut tower bushings...mine would do it over speed bumps as opposed to throttle, so yours likely isn't this, but some bushing or motor mount...problem is mine wasn't broken, just noisy...so hard to find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will it occur if you're sitting still with the transmission in neutral and you shift it into drive without touching the accelerator?

What I'm wondering is if it's motor mounts...

Lower octane gas will just reduce available power as the computer retards timing to reduce knocking. I always run premium because I'm stupid and like maximum power. LOL!
It happens when in park as well. Its really slight but my paranoia makes sound louder. I put premium fuel back in. Will the timing return to normal??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a similar sound on a 2010 Jetta TDI... on mine it was strut tower bushings...mine would do it over speed bumps as opposed to throttle, so yours likely isn't this, but some bushing or motor mount...problem is mine wasn't broken, just noisy...so hard to find.
Thank you for your reply :)I don't know if it made that sound prior to putting the 87 AKI fuel in it. I'll take it to the dealership next week. Hopefully my extended warranty covers the problem

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Yes, the computer should sense that it doesn't need to pull timing anymore and it should go back to "normal".

If mounts are creaking, they could possibly make noise with the tranny in park, too. I've seen the old AMC 360's jump up in the engine bay with bad motor mounts, mostly when in gear, but sometimes in Park or neutral.

If you have the extended warranty, take it in. Just make sure they don't have a a minimum shop charge or just be aware of what it is. I'm not sure they'd cover a visit to diagnose a noise they may or may not be able to hear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the computer should sense that it doesn't need to pull timing anymore and it should go back to "normal".

If mounts are creaking, they could possibly make noise with the tranny in park, too. I've seen the old AMC 360's jump up in the engine bay with bad motor mounts, mostly when in gear, but sometimes in Park or neutral.

If you have the extended warranty, take it in. Just make sure they don't have a a minimum shop charge or just be aware of what it is. I'm not sure they'd cover a visit to diagnose a noise they may or may not be able to hear.
Thank you for your reply. I'll go to the dealership next week and have the mounts replaced and the engine checked. The engine is already starting to sound like it used to since I filled it up with 91 AKI.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Turns out my timing chain tensioner was the culprit. A new timing chain kit will be put in next week.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Interesting! I would never have suspected the timing chain tensioner. The computer may have been trying to pull timing and that exposed the slack in the timing chain due to the bad tensioner.

Yay for extended warranty!!!

Thanks for the follow up!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting! I would never have suspected the timing chain tensioner. The computer may have been trying to pull timing and that exposed the slack in the timing chain due to the bad tensioner.

Yay for extended warranty!!!

Thanks for the follow up!
neither would i. the dealership quoted $5000 to get the faulty tensioner replaced but i found an auto shop who are fixing it for $2000. they will be replacing the chain as well.

Heck Yeah!!!! I'm glad i bought the warranty :)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The V8 from 03-06 didn't have timing chain. From 07 on is timing chain in V8.

All V(R)6 Touaregs are chain.

Based on yours being an 06' V8 and what the dealer said...I too would want an explanation of what part they are talking about.

The cams (on either head) have a chain for the cams (the timing belt drives one cam on each side, then the chain (under the valve covers) drive the other cam. See post #6 in link below:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f92/04-touareg-v8-cam-timing-chain-tensioner-72068.html

The dealer cost is too high for a timing belt, so I am thinking cam chains?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The V8 from 03-06 didn't have timing chain. From 07 on is timing chain in V8.

All V(R)6 Touaregs are chain.

Based on yours being an 06' V8 and what the dealer said...I too would want an explanation of what part they are talking about.

The cams (on either head) I believe have chain for the cams (the timing belt drives one cam on each side, then the chain (under the valve covers) drive the other cam.

The dealer cost is too high for a timing belt, so I am thinking cam chains?

just got off the phone with a mechanic friend of mine. You are right. the v8 does have the chains for the cam and not the timing chain. that is what is being replaced. The tensioner(s) is/are being replaced too. the dealer was going to charge me $120/hr. 7 hours for each side.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts