Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new to me 2016 Lux and I've noticed that when it gets to be 90-95 degrees and the car has been running for a while, the AC gets very weak.
Even set on high, the blower moves very little air and the air isn't terribly cold. Even with the AC set on recirc and the fan on high, it can't keep the temperature in the cabin cool enough for me.
Is this typical behavior for a Touareg, or should I have the dealer take a look at it?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I suggest you get a thermometer and put it on the vents one by one to determine if any or all are not outputting the right temp set on the ac control module before hitting the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
VW as of late has had terrible HVAC systems. My 2016 Golf R that I bought new had atrocious, barely usable AC. It took forever to become cool, and never became cold. VW said it was "within spec". My 2015 Touareg is nearly the same. The Americans have generally always had great AC systems. My friends 98 Windstar blows ice cold AC immediately upon activation, and it's the original charge.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a new to me 2016 Lux and I've noticed that when it gets to be 90-95 degrees and the car has been running for a while, the AC gets very weak.
Even set on high, the blower moves very little air and the air isn't terribly cold. Even with the AC set on recirc and the fan on high, it can't keep the temperature in the cabin cool enough for me.
Is this typical behavior for a Touareg, or should I have the dealer take a look at it?
I have a 2016 tdi and it blows cold enough to freeze my hands even in 95 degree weather that we have had as of late. It also blows very hard, sounds like a jet on maximum velocity. I wonder if you need to check the cabin filter? How many miles on your car? Maybe it was driven in dusty areas and has clogged the filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a CPO, still under warranty. I'm asking about this issue because some cars are known for weak AC systems, and I didn't know if this was one of them. It's a PITA to bring it to the dealer and I didn't want to waste their time or mine if it's "just the way it is" on these SUV's.
The AC does start off nice and cold, but on a long drive (2+hours) in 90+ temperatures, the fan blows very weakly and almost no air moves in the cabin even on high setting and the air coming out isn't very code.
Having typed all that, I'll check the cabin filter and see if that's the problem. It's a def possibility that it hasn't been changed.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I suspect you are not properly using your HVAC system.....
Here goes nothing.

If you leave it on AUTO setting, the system will monitor the temperature and automatically adjust blower speed and vent delivery mix to maintain the desired setting. Based on the comment that you are saying it start off strong and fades off, I'm assuming that you're on AUTO and when the interior is hot, the system goes balls to the wall trying to cool down the cabin.... as the temp drops closer to your setting, the fan speed will reduce and the system will blow using different vents in order to promote air movement, etc. Since you're more than likely driving with the sun shining on you, your body will absorb sun rays and you will feel warmer than your ambient cabin temperature, but the HVAC doesn't know this... use your fan speed button to override\disable the auto setting and set your blower to full speed and "face vent" if you want to feel what it can really do\sustain....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suspect you are not properly using your HVAC system.....
Here goes nothing.

If you leave it on AUTO setting, the system will monitor the temperature and automatically adjust blower speed and vent delivery mix to maintain the desired setting. Based on the comment that you are saying it start off strong and fades off, I'm assuming that you're on AUTO and when the interior is hot, the system goes balls to the wall trying to cool down the cabin.... as the temp drops closer to your setting, the fan speed will reduce and the system will blow using different vents in order to promote air movement, etc. Since you're more than likely driving with the sun shining on you, your body will absorb sun rays and you will feel warmer than your ambient cabin temperature, but the HVAC doesn't know this... use your fan speed button to override\disable the auto setting and set your blower to full speed and "face vent" if you want to feel what it can really do\sustain....
Not to sound like somebody easily offended, I have had many cars with AUTO hvac systems and none have had this issue. I know how to use my AC.
During the drive, took it off AUTO and cranked the fan full blast and still little to no air movement.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Well I'm stumped.... unless you have a dying fan, I can't think of any reason you're experiencing this "tapered off" blower speed.... take it back to the dealer and have them fix it or explain the odd behavior.

·
Registered
286 Posts
it's a good idea to check if this is air flow related or AC related. With that being said, slow moving air might get warmed up inside the ducts before it comes out.

easiest to check is the cabin filter, see if that's extra dirty.

then, check the blower fan, is the slow moving air caused by low speed fan or high speed fan but obstruction? the fan itself might be too simple to fail, if the fan ramps up speed but air speed is low, then check the recir. servo and the flaps to see if there's anything stuck there, you will see them after removing the blower fan. Then try shine a flashlight to the front of the car through the flaps to see if the fresh air intake is clear of debris.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
If it was a system "restriction" in the flow, such as a dirty cabin filter, it should be a constant issue.....
A clogged filter wouldn't flow well initially and then an hour into your drive become restrictive.... unless you were obviously driving through a sand storm or something during that hour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
try to stop for 10 minutes when you have this issue and keep ac running then take a look for the drain to see if lot of drained water

1 - 14 of 14 Posts