Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Club Touareg Community Members,

Over the past year, there have been updates to your community environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. We sincerely apologize if you have been negatively impacted. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software on the site. Once we started looking at how to address these issues, it became clear that we needed to determine how to fix the underlying problems.

We needed to improve user experience, site speed, and overall performance, all while providing a secure environment for you to interact with your community. For the past few months, we have been actively seeking a resolution to these issues.

We are excited to announce that we are upgrading your site!! We have been working with a design and product development team that has enhanced Xenforo software to provide a modern and much better-performing platform. Our goal is to deliver an experience that better fits the current and growing long term needs of your community.

The new platform is designed for efficiency, stability, and to be user-friendly across all devices, including mobile. More time can be spent engaging, sharing, and contributing to your favorite community no matter where you are!

This is just the first stage of the new platform and we look forward to hearing your feedback as we make regular and timely improvements.

Thank you for all your support!

~ Community Support

·
Administrator
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dear Community Members,

We have posted previous messages announcing a new platform coming to your community that will provide a better experience, faster page speed and work seamlessly across all devices, including mobile. We are excited to announce that Clubtouareg.com will be migrated to our new platform on Thursday, August 18th. The site will be in maintenance mode and in read-only while the migration is happening. This is expected site behavior as we move all the archived content over to the new sites. There should be no change in the content within your profile. All thread content will also be migrated to the new site. Your community may look a little different but all of the important information will still be there!

If for any reason there is a change of date, we will keep you updated on an alternative rollout schedule for the site migration. We look forward to your feedback on the new experience.

We appreciate your support!

~ Community Support

·
Registered
64 Posts
Front end? Mobile use is enhanced for those that do, some search things, messaging.

Back end? With the right add ons, easier cleanup and management, seo, spam control and Vb is dying a slow death.

·
Registered
128 Posts
...and Vb is dying a slow death.
Tell me about it. I'm really active (former mod) on a Vb site that's actually owned by Internet Brands (the owners of Vb), and it's awful. Each update for the past few years has been worse and worse.

I keep telling them to simply revert immediately, but they stick to their guns. I think the problem is poor product owners combined with "offshore" developers doing bad work. The result is a piss poor product.

The last good release was back in like 2009. Ever since then it's been downhill.

·
Registered
128 Posts
While we are on the subject, can we not have autoplaying video ads on this site. I almost didn't join because of them. I know that ads pay the bills, but those are the worst of the worst.

[Archer] If you want me to block all of your ads, that's how you get me to block all of your ads.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I just hope we will not loose pictures, attachments and embedded videos. Such conversions usually end up with lot - if not all - of such files getting lost in the process, and merely the textual information being preserved.

·
Registered
777 Posts
If you want to see an example, here is a site that was moved recently

https://www.focusrsclub.com/
Unlike our current site, this one (or the theme used on it) does not seem to be adaptive (ie. it doesn't conform to device screen width). Which obviously wastes a lot of useful screen estate and forces users to scroll unnecessarily much to read the same amount of content. Will the new theme for this site be similarly constrained and a step backwards?

·
Administrator
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just hope we will not loose pictures, attachments and embedded videos. Such conversions usually end up with lot - if not all - of such files getting lost in the process, and merely the textual information being preserved.
Everything will be migrated over and you will not lose anything. All media (pictures, attachments, embedded videos, etc.) will all be available after we upgrade.

~Austin

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for the feedback,

If you want to see an example, here is a site that was moved recently

https://www.focusrsclub.com/

Ed

Looks clean and has minimal use of external script libraries.

One aesthetic tip. Pay close attention to how much vertical space they waste with the banner, thread title, etc... I'm running a 1680x1050 display on a 15" laptop and this is what I see. Only 2 posts of relevant info (you know, the reason people come to the site) "above the fold".

The same goes for the subforum thread list. 2/5ths of the page is non-functional banner and subforum name.

Basically, it's wasting space with info that the user already has: What website they are on and what the thread name is or what the subforum is.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is like you logging into your email website and 2/5ths of the page says:

YOU ARE ON GOOGLE MAIL

YOU ARE LOOKING AT YOUR INBOX

Then shows you only 2 email message titles before you have to scroll.

·
Administrator
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Community Members,

We wanted to let you know that the new migration date will be on Thursday, August 8th.

Thank you all for your support!

~ Community Support

1 - 13 of 13 Posts