Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All summer in midwest my water temp points true north at 200F. On rare occasion I may catch him over at 205F. Today it's 22F outside and I looked down while driving 72MPH and saw it at 220F. Nothing alarming temp wise I know but have never noted this. When I got off freeway to rural road (60MPH) it slowly dropped to 200F and then slowly moved up and down from 200F-210F. In town at 45MPH or less it stayed right at 200F

Thoughts based on experience?

Coolant is topped off...no clue on age. Always had a wiff of antifreeze after driving it (especially on hot days) and haver never added a drop of fluid in 1.5 years.

Normal...quite being weird?
Precursor?

Currently at about 150K miles.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Time for a coolant change methinks.
As I recall it is supposed to be done every two years as a service item (my memory might be playing tricks so do check first if that is correct). Would be the first thing I would try anyhow after that time.

Edit - skip that bit about every two years - memory misled me. However depending on conditions and how old the coolant is, it may be a good first step. Do you know how long the coolant has been in there (or for how many miles)?

·
Registered
790 Posts
The T2 may be different but my T4 has an electronically "smoothed" temperature gauge, like many modern cars - using a Scangauge II in the EOBD port I can see the actual temperature as used by the ECU - the dashboard gauge gets up to 90C (194F) as the digital gauge reads 60C (140F) but sits rigidly at 90C as the digital temperature rises through 90C and beyond - the highest digital reading I've seen has been 95C (203F) but the dashboard gauge stayed rigidly on 90C.

I'll admit to being an anorak on these matters - my previous Hyundai Santa Fe had a similar "smoothed" temperature gauge so gave no indications of impending disaster when the head gasket started to fail - when it finally blew the digital gauge had got up to 115C (239F) before the dashboard gauge moved off "normal" - fortunately I was already pulling off as the dashboard gauge went from normal to gauge limit in about 3 seconds when it finally moved.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time for a coolant change methinks.
As I recall it is supposed to be done every two years as a service item (my memory might be playing tricks so do check first if that is correct). Would be the first thing I would try anyhow after that time.

Edit - skip that bit about every two years - memory misled me. However depending on conditions and how old the coolant is, it may be a good first step. Do you know how long the coolant has been in there (or for how many miles)?
I'm sure the coolant is over due but I also have Volvo with 275K miles and coolant that hasn't been changed in 150k or more...I know it can get dirty but other then that what really is the reasoning on this other then do the right thing, no?

I'm looking for (hopefully) something a bit more known or common if the facts point toward an issue...other wise someone telling me that its normal would even be more welcome!

Now if you told me that they were know to be overly sensitive to radiator clogging or such I might make this a bigger priority. I'm sure I'll tackle by the new year but hoping something a bit more specific. Thx.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts