Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driver side A pillar whole piece next to windshield, top where head liner is and drips on side of dash is wet and it stopped raining hours ago...WTF? Not happy at all on brand new car. Could this be an issue with the roof drains already? I took pictures to take to dealer.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Bummer! I feel your pain. Unfortunately it is possible to buy brand new car with a leak. I had 2006 Jetta GLI brand new at the time and it leaked right off dealer lot. Yours probably isn't clogged anything, but something else. My Jetta had a cracked moon roof frame from someone standing on it (likely during transport). Took forever to figure that out, but once replaced all was well. Take it to dealer and don't accept it back until fixed.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
New consumer law in the UK only allows a dealer one opportunity to fix something like this otherwise the car is deemed "unfit for purpose" and it's money back time if you want to go that route! Previously they were allowed 3 attempts to repair.

How does consumer law stack in the US on something like this?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would be helpful to know if its covered under the std 3 time fix lemon law or if they really only have one shot to fix it?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it's here if anyone else has this experience, the dealer found the problem, bad seal from the factory on the sunroof frame. They ordered a new frame and seal kit so I should have it back soon. We've had a ton of snow and rain lately and the leak was getting worse, finding puddle on my weathertech mat every morning. Hope this fixes it. My only worry is that the carpet driver side was wet too. They said they are going to shampoo and clean everything up. Sucks for an under 5000 mile car. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Never had an issue like this with any of the cars I owned.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: so I told the dealer you have to pull up the carpet and get the carpet and underlayment dry with fans etc. They gad it a week and said yes we will do that. I pick up the car and go back to work and then pull up the weathertech mat and the bottom has wet spots and the carpet is still damp in places. Not happy. told them not to run it thru their car wash but they did and now my black Treg is all scratched up. Then I looked at my driver side door sill and apparently the idiot mechanic stood on it with no protection and scratched the **** out of the door sill. WTF is up with these dealers? I'm so pissed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My issues continue, rained again and again wet A pillar roof and water all around the hood release and dripping down from bottom of dash onto the floor. I'm really not happy with this on a brand new car. I'm sorry at this point I traded my MDX. I love the way this car drives but this is unbelievable. Back to the dealer again. They didn't fix it at all and damaged my car to boot.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Lemon?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Starting to think so. I am questioning whether to give this same dealer another try at this? I have another local dealer I could use as well. The first one is very apologetic and says they are determined to get it right but after the damage and now I have the exact same issue I'm not so sure. Supposed to bring it in tomorrow. Trade my $64k Touareg for a Tiguan loaner. Hmmn. Second dealer I spoke to at lunch time today said anything that got wet should have been replaced.

They claim they did dry the carpet and underlayment but now I want new to insure no dampness remains. This is such BS on a brand new car.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Never make big decisions when angry or desperate (regarding trading now). Invoking lemon law (or at least bringing it up to you dealer is needed). I am not a lawyer, but I would personally consider this a substantial defect and that something of this magnitude should have been fixed on the first try.
A level head will prevail, this is not your problem, this is either going to be resolved with legal action, or they are going to fix it. I personally might give them one more shot, because they could have done something dumb like not hooked up the drain following repair.
If you do decide to have them fix it, they need to fix the door sill issue and pay for a professional detail (outside service not dealers detail) to get rid of the scratches.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Spiegelgatt, yesterday I was angry, today I am prepared for a meeting with dealer Service Director, dealer GM and service advisor at 1:30 pm today. I have documented everything that has occurred as well as my expectations for this round of repair. We will see what happens. BTW I wasn't serious about trading it for a Tiguan, just that I have to drive one as a loaner instead of my Touareg.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Met with GM and went thru synopsis of the issues with him. Said they need to get a VW engineer there (so do it). He was supportive but I am running out of patience with this. They had the roof headliner out and sprayed it down for hours yesterday and did not see anything leaking. Attempted to call VW for last two days, 25 minutes on hold and had to give up. This just sucks for a brand new car. Give me my Acura back..

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Strange. I wonder why it wouldn't leak under a hose, but it does when you park it. Is it parked on a slope? They need to recreate the conditions that it leaks in. A slope might change everything. Also a constant fine mist might leak more than a rushing stream.

Frustrating as it is, it will either be fixed or made right by some other means and then it will only be a memory.

I have a new washing machine that leaks. It has leaked since new. I purchased it because my old one leaked. It has had every component replaced. The manager and multiple repair people have serviced it over the year plus that I have owned it to try and get it to stop leaking. I can't get a replacement because it is the last of its kind and I don't want a new "energy efficient washer" just an old school one that washes clothes.

I am about ready (however) to take it out in a field and put a few hundred rounds through it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not parked on a slope, sitting in driveway or here at work, perfectly flat. A pillar wet, roof wet, water drop at hood release, coming out of bottom of end cap on dash, fuse box, small puddles on the floor. My concern is what is getting wet we don't know about and what will the effects of that in the next 3 or 4 years when the vehicle is out of warranty. We are talking about a car with 4900 miles on it. I feel your pain about the washing machine but this is a $64k vehicle, not a $1200 washer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Go out to my "new" CPO 2012 Exec this morning. find a puddle on the floor mat also notice wet pillar near the sunroof.closer inspection of the headliner indicates a slight stain indicating there has been a previous leak. I'm pissed. I mop up the water and drive away only to have water drip on console from one of the overhead lights. Off to the Dealer tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Leaking drivers floor

I have just gone through a 3 day ordeal in drying out drivers floor carpet.
It is a big job.
First is to remove all the front lower interior panels, remove seats, raise the carpets/underlay and mop up all the water. Blow compressed air gently into sunroof drains at the front of the sunroof. remove wiper arms, plenum covers, fuse/ relay box removed and plenum drain holes checked, holes are nice and large. Removed front wheels, wheel arch liner to make sure water is draining properly. Could not find the source of the leak, will have to monitor closer.
I took some pictures which hopefully helps anybody that is looking to do this.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Have you pulled one of the grommets in the door sills on each side of the car to see if you have water in there?

The other water producer inside the car is a dislodged aircon drain.

·
Registered
2016 3.6L V6 FSI - Highline R-Line
24 Posts
Not parked on a slope, sitting in driveway or here at work, perfectly flat. A pillar wet, roof wet, water drop at hood release, coming out of bottom of end cap on dash, fuse box, small puddles on the floor. My concern is what is getting wet we don't know about and what will the effects of that in the next 3 or 4 years when the vehicle is out of warranty. We are talking about a car with 4900 miles on it. I feel your pain about the washing machine but this is a $64k vehicle, not a $1200 washer.

I am wondering what the outcome of this was? I bought a 2016 CPO Highline R-line with 60k km and have this exact same issue. I’m prepared to leave it for a week at the dealer while they sort through that and the wheel shake TSB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.