Club Touareg Forum banner

Water pump leaks, need help

30K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Talvino 
#1 ·
Hello all, Any member here know how to change a water pump? I have 04 V6 3.2 and it is start to leak a little bit. What I know so far is just release a Serpentine belt, unscrew a pulley, unscrew a water pump, remove the old water pump and put the new one in. Is that right? Do I need to remove the front end? Lower the engine or tranny? Special tool? Does this engine has a Serpentine belt auto tensioner? Thank you in advance.

#3 ·
Thanks, WVICARY. I just discovered that my engine(V6/3.2) has a Serpentine belt auto tensioner. There is no need to remove the engine. The procedure is as follows (V8 and TDI engines might be different.)

1. Drain the engine coolant.
2. At the auto tensioner (located above the water pump), turn the wrench(17mm) counter clockwise as shown in the first picture and release the belt. Make sure you remember where everything goes when you put the belt back in.
3. Unscrew pulley bolts (second picture).
4. Unscrew water pump bolts (located behind pulley).
5. Remove old water pump.
6. Install a new water pump.

My local car shop, not even a VW dealer, quoted me $500. I found out that it's not difficult at all, so, I'd rather do it myself.

Attachments

#5 ·
I'm not a mechanic. I just discovered how to do it 2 days ago by watching Youtube. I've never fixed anything except changing air filter and brake light bulb. It took me less than one hour just to wait until the engine cool down and drain the coolant. The rest was easy. The part is just a water pump. I ordered mine from a dealer $120(core exchange).

#9 ·
Sorry. Actually, I didn't drain the coolant.:p What I did was disconnect the hose on the upper left side of the engine(the one that connects the engine to the radiator). No special tools are needed to disconnect the hose, just a pair of pliers.

#11 ·
Yes, There is coolant coming out of the pipe. So be prepared to have a container ready. Be careful with the coolant, too. It's poisonous!!!!! If it's spilled on the ground, make sure to wash the area thoroughly because the coolant is very attractive to animals. I disposed of the coolant at a local auto parts store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.