Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I've recently been doing some research on potential mods for my new-to-me '12 Treg and came across some articles on diesel water/meth injection. Seemed feasible and sure enough Darkside Developments in the UK has installed a Snow Performance system on a A5 3.0 TDI: (first post, can't add links, google "installing water methanol Audi A5"). From everything I've read so far, an injection system would add a little HP and TQ (even without a tune), plus improve cooling, MPG, and allegedly prolong the life of certain engine components. Compared to many of the mods found on here, it's not particularly expensive either. I couldn't find any existing threads about it, is there some reason no one does this that I'm totally missing?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It is not a practical solution\answer for a DD. It is typically used to maximize output and in racing applications, usually in drag racing. It's a finite "patch". You have a very limited volume of the solution to inject, and once you're out, you've not only lost all your "gains" but are now vulnerable to blowing up your engine if you don't have fail-safe measures in place.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Get another 40+ BHP and more torque from a good remap which is easy to do and don't mess with the engine in any other way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Water/Meth would also help keep all that EGR crap from plugging up the intake... by flushing it through the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies! All fair points, doesn't sound all that beneficial for a DD, I've seen some diesel truck applications that use it for cooling and longevity while towing, but the Treg won't see nearly that amount of towing or stress, so likely not worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
dgem
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing