Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a huge puddle of water underneath the spare tire on my 2015 Touareg Sport (no sunroof). I heard some sloshing around while driving. At first I thought something had gone wrong with the gas tank. I didn't even consider the possibility that the sloshing was coming from unwanted water inside the car! But when I opened the tailgate while loading some things, water dripped onto my head.

I immediately knew something was wrong because it hasn't rained in a few days. This was the first time I opened the tailgate since it rained. I pulled out a flashlight and inspected the area to find that water had saturated multiple areas in the rear of the car. There was water dripping off the bottom of the tailgate between the plastic and metal. There was water soaked into the fabric of both side D-pillars. There was water in the styrofoam container for the car jack. And most notably, there was about an inch of water sitting under the spare! I got it all out with a sponge and it was easily a liter of water or more.

So, the water seems to be coming in from the top of the car; either roof or tailgate, saturating the D-pillars and interior tailgate plastic, and ending up in the spare tire area. I was really shocked to see just how much water was back there.

Something also worth mentioning is that the car was at the body shop for about 2 weeks, and I picked it up right before Thanksgiving. All the repair work was done to the front of the car. The body shop said that the car was stored inside during the big rain storms, but I now find that hard to believe. Im wondering if there is something the shop did to cause this; perhaps left the tailgate open in the rain. I have never had any issues with leaks in the past. It's possible that it's just a coincidence, but it's bothersome that I can't be sure.

I am including some pictures of the wet areas. In my research, I only really see people talking about these issues with earlier year Touaregs. I am out of warranty at 50k miles but I do have the extended bumper to bumper warranty that was purchased with the car new.
IMG-0451.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey wirewick,

I had a similar issue last week with my 2013 Touareg (hence I came here looking for a solution) - had a very heavy rainstorm and the car was left out in the rain for a couple of days in the rain - a few days later I opened the tailgate for the first time and to my horror water was seeping through the inner plastics (approx. 250ml of water), however this was no where near the extent of yours (pillars were untouched, and no water ingress in the spare tire compartment.

I cleaned it all up and investigated but couldn't find the cause, although my best guess was there was some water ingress through the plastic at the top of the rear hatch. Luckily I live in the desert so we have rain only a couple days a year.

Hope you find the solution to this, please update us if you do. If you have a warranty I would definitely get it checked out, as could have serious repercussions for the electrics, rust etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was so much water in my trunk that it seems unlikely for it to have all come through the weather stripping. It's possible that it got in through a bad seal on the taillights, but that wouldn't explain the water on the d-pillars. Unless that area just got soaked when I opened the tailgate and water dripped onto it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
There is a plastic fitting high up on each side of the tailgate opening on the Generation 1 cars that could block with crud and then let water into the trunk in the way you have experienced in your Gen 2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts