Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ALl,
I understand this is a common treg/VW issue of after it has rained you open the boot (Trunk) and water cascades onto the boot floor. I have seen reference to sunroof drain pipes but our car does not have a sun roof, but I have also read that this is an issue with the rear seal and that an alternative is available, but as yet not had anyone confim, that there is a) an alternative door seal, and b) if it stops the water getinging into the boot.

I don't think this is the drain plug issue as I think if we had that issue it would leak inside the car without the boot open. the issue we have is that water collects on the tailgate and as it goes up in the air the water drains off it into the boot.

Does anybody have a fix for this?

·
Registered
614 Posts
There is a drain plug in the hinge area that get easily blocked.
You need to remove the plastic cover on the vehicle side and you will make out a small drain , that easily get blocked , open it up with something ( i used the backend of a paint brush) and your good to go.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm having same issue. I cleaned the drain holes under plastic covers. Water still builds up and leaks In center top of hatch. I even replaces the rubber molding to glass. And to hatch in upwards of $300 and still leaking. Hopefully I can fix mine after you get advice too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is a drain plug in the hinge area that get easily blocked.
You need to remove the plastic cover on the vehicle side and you will make out a small drain , that easily get blocked , open it up with something ( i used the backend of a paint brush) and your good to go.
In what area i find this plug??

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Here you go, but note water does run off the tailgate when opening it after rain and there's no cure for that - you just get used to keeping out of the way [or letting someone else open the tailgate!!].

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi, this plug was clear but we still get the issue. Think there may be 2 issues here? we only get the issue when we open the boot, then water that I assume is on the tailgate then drains into the boot. it seems to come from the trim half way up the tailgate, picture attached, you can see the water draining off the tailgate, when you fully open the tailgate this drains straight into the boot.

20141130_114834.jpg

OK so needed to rotate it before upload but hopefully you get the idea of where the water to draining from!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
draining from the tailgate into the boot is "normal" just a poor design. I've had 3 tregs and all 3 have done that. It's annoying but no real way around it.

Im still fighting myself with water coming in the top of the boot where the hatch closes. I have clean out all the drains, and even replaced all the rubber moldings but still getting water leaking inside during heavy rain or going through the car wash.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, this plug was clear but we still get the issue. Think there may be 2 issues here? we only get the issue when we open the boot, then water that I assume is on the tailgate then drains into the boot. it seems to come from the trim half way up the tailgate, picture attached, you can see the water draining off the tailgate, when you fully open the tailgate this drains straight into the boot.

View attachment 82065

OK so needed to rotate it before upload but hopefully you get the idea of where the water to draining from!
I have the EXACT same issue and I don't have a solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would like to think that someone in VW would have spotted this and come up with a retro fit solution? is it the rubber around the rear opening window that is the issue? Are there versions of Treg that do not have the separate opening rear window that still have the issue? does the Cayenne have the same issue? What I have not worked out is does the water collect in the trim and then drain out or is this water from the tailgate surface that is directed to the edges when you open it.

Hope latest version does not do this!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would like to think that someone in VW would have spotted this and come up with a retro fit solution? is it the rubber around the rear opening window that is the issue? Are there versions of Treg that do not have the separate opening rear window that still have the issue? does the Cayenne have the same issue? What I have not worked out is does the water collect in the trim and then drain out or is this water from the tailgate surface that is directed to the edges when you open it.

From what I can tell on mine it seems to be water from the tailgate surface (underneath the lip of the back window) that, when lifted, drains to the sides and flows over the trim then onto the back ledge of the trunk area.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

The opening rear window was standard on the T1 and T2 and then de-contented on the T3 and has not been reinstated on the new T4 either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what I can tell on mine it seems to be water from the tailgate surface (underneath the lip of the back window) that, when lifted, drains to the sides and flows over the trim then onto the back ledge of the trunk area.
so has anybody tried a bigger seal (or even silicone*) to fill this gap so water does not collect there (assume same issue on teh top edge)?

*before anyone put's silicone in there I have no idea if it will damage the paintwork so research required first!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Think I have fixed it!

Think I have fixed the water issue I have been having!

I did this just before Christmas, and since then the issue has reduced dramatically. May not work for all models, but seems to work on mine. open the window part of the tailgate and look at the rubber in the bottom left and right corners of the main tailgate, the rubber is shaped at this point and forms a lip for water to collect on, push the rubber back so it tucks behind the part of the frame, do this on both sides.
Before
treg before.jpg
Pushing rubber back behind tailgate
treg push back rubber.jpg
After :)
treg after.jpg

·
Registered
81 Posts
Me too!

View attachment 82065

Does anyone have an answer to this? I moved from the eastern US to Belgium and with as much rain as we get here this is driving me crazy. I may not have paid attention before but now that there is constantly water in that lip between the glass and door it is getting old. Every time I open the trunk (boot) and lean in to get something it get soaked.

BT BT

On a separate note - I did have the "clogged drain hole" problem before. As it turned out the drain holes were clear and the water was actually leaking into the headliner from somewhere else. The dealer wanted at $500 to remove the headliner to "check" and see if they could find a problem. I rooted around a little myself (without removing the headliner) and found what I thought to be a faulty seal on the driver side where the hydraulic lift sits. I filled the area with that yellow expanding goo stuff (forgot the actual name) and was carefully to make sure it did not interfere with the lift. It expanded nicely and I haven't the same issue since (2+ years).

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Water running off the rear hatch after rain when you open it is a well known irritation on T1 and T2 cars.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have no fix, but two adaptations for myself.

I now park the car with the nose elevated in my driveway. Before I parked in the getaway direction.

And I always partially open the hatch to let water drain outside the car, now even easier with the nose elevated.

This do of course do not work for most people as driveways tend to be horizontal and not inclined.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am guessing my issue has more to do with the drain holes. I noticed VW used butyl(hate that stuff) to seal the covers over the strut chambers. I am thinking I need to seal that better since I opened them and clean drains. The water drip off tail gate wont make a fish pond out your spare tire well, its just annoying.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts