Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello hive,

Seeking some information from those who may know.
Yesterday, we detected an area under the front passenger side (RHD) of the vehicle, inline with front suspension and also just slightly fwd of that.
Checked visually/smell what it could be, and in my opinon, it's definitely water. Not soapy, colourless or emitting any odour.
Crawled underneath and there was a very slow drip, drip from the subframe components (lowest point before gravity did it's thing and sent it to the pavement).

Today, checked again. Still dripping.
So moved the car into a position that I could actually get my noggin under the bibs and flaps and I found a ribbed tube with a blue plug on the end. As soon as I moved it, a lot of water came down (didn't gush like a waterfall, but I did get a nice face full). It continued to drip, but I can't get it to 'flow' any more.
I'm not convinced this is a sunroof drain, as it is forward of the front suspension and all VW manuals suggest the sunroof drain enters the wheel well area closer to the firewall.

Photos to explain:
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Red is some of the water drops onto the pavers. Blue is the direction (from the front) that the drops are coming from

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Again, Blue arrow is where they are coming from (up and behind that panel)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Helmet Hood Automotive exterior

Yellow arrow - the culprit I think.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: Golf Wang

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think chewblekka is right, because when I put my hand up between the panels and paraphernalia. I can feel the weighted rubber attachment - as per this image

Slope Art Font Recreation Elbow

Reactions: evaddirb

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@chewblekka @capese21
You guys need to go to the top of the class...and take your books (you'll be there a while) - an old saying one of my Sergeants (RAAF) used to tell us when we had done something well.
Dave (evaddirb) came around this afternoon and showed me the trick to removing the air filter housing.
Once we had the boxes opened up, we were able to see:
The good news:
1. No water in the airbox, but you could see that it had been there recently
2. The air filters were intact (just).
The bad news:
1. The air filter on the right stinks.....it's been wet for a while.
2. The high tide mark (well, you can see how high the moisture has climbed) got to about 10mm below the low point of the intake into the engine.

Wifey drove me across to Repco (Parts shop) and I showed old mate behind the counter the part number of the filter. 2 minutes later...walked out with 2 new filters. SCORE!!!

So, if there is a break in the weather tomorrow, I'll break out the air compressor (dial the pressure down a bit), and give both boxes a good clean out.

Moving forward, I now know how to easily inspect the filter boxes (and not have to wait AND trust a tech/mechanic to charge me for potentially doing a half baked job during a service) - thanks Dave

I now give you the evidence:
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Shade

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going to have a chat with a friend at VW here (Spare Parts), give him the Chinese fix part number/s and see what he can find in respect to those, and any tech bulletins. Stay tuned.
The plan for today is:
1: Once the weather clears a bit, clean up and dry out the air boxes and associated pipework (air compressor + micro fibrre cloths)
2: Re-install the filters.
3. Hunt and seek operation at Bunnings (& maybe other outlets) for some adhesive weather stripping - the plan being to use this as a temporary fix to divert the water away from the run off that occurs from the headlights into the intake.
4. Install (at least the left side) the Chinese fix, and fabricate a diverter for the right hand side.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Steve, times like this when one needs a 3D printer to be able to copy and reverse the design of the LHS deflector and re-manufacture your own.
There were lots of innovative ideas posted a while back ranging from re-using plastic drink bottles to applying a rubber weather seal molding along to top of the headlight just inder the bonnet edge.
just chatting with a mate. Reverse engineered 3d printing is just about sorted. Just have to get the part.
Many thanks to @evaddirb for his engineering prowess and knowledge this morning.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What's the trick to open up the air filters? Do you have any pictures or a video that you can post? I'm hoping to look at my filters if it's easy to do to check of they have been wet.

I took my Treg for a laser wash yesterday and I expect that could simulate a heavy rain session.

Thanks in advance for any help.
This is a good 'how to' video for the V6. The V8 is a very similar process, albeit you have to do twice the work.

7P Air Filter removal

Reactions: snodrogs

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Yep... it's the one deep inside the intake (between the grill and the box).
From all accounts, it sits at the bottom of a "P Trap" style inlet, hence the crafted coat hanger hook.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi Steve

If you manage to source the Chinese parts and get left and right hand parts made maybe a bulk buy could be arranged.
I'm sure there would be a number of us interested in purchasing them.
I haven't found the time to manufacture a fix for our R Line since my very close call, but I do check them every now and then.

Kym

" Warning - Check your airbox drain valves"
it seems that the only way to 'source' the part from China, is to know someone who lives there and can 'purchase/send' it to you (me).
I have tried to register on the website that is supposed to sell them, but as soon as some form of my identity alludes to me being Australian....I just cannot proceed.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
What is the exact part number and where can they be purchased in Beijing?

I may be able to get one to Australia.
7P6805762 is the part number.
Rectangle Automotive exterior Font Metal Electric blue

Also, there may be a supplementary part number 7P6805762C (but it has been reported that some Touaregs already have this part installed (?)
it seems to be available from Taobao.com
Everytime I try to register to the site, it won't accept my mobile number, despite using various numerical presentation formats.

Reactions: KandC
1 - 11 of 11 Posts