Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2017 touareg adventure major problem with water in air filter box 3 rotten air filters 70k no one checks at service until 70k until to late amazingly i have not blown a turbo or motor with air filter box 1/3 full of water when i opened the box for the third time to check at 70k after driving in rain first rotten air filter i complained to jmc group launceston not really interested my fault for driving through deep water utter crap they replaced filter the second time eventually got filter replaced reluctantly by jmc group the third time i was told $380 od but as i have had past history $120 to fix a major design fault
after investigating found inlet air pipe with water trap (toilet bowl) full of water rubber drain in bottom totally blocked now removed ,drain in bottom of air filter box totally blocked modified to let water out .
,drain from bottom of air filter box drain totally blocked now modified to let silt and debris out vw their is nothing to see here but vw acknowledges their is a problem as they are doing some form of fix
with all 3 outllets now working still had water getting into air filter box,next some form of sheild near intake
class action in china vw admitted liability,current class action in us both for these manufacturing faults water into air filter box causing turbo failure blown motors cars loosing power on highway

·
Registered
2017 (MY2018) V6 TDI - Deep Black Pearlescent
371 Posts
@sophie
Welcome to the Touareg forums :)
Sorry to hear of the issues you are having
I presume that you are not taking your Touareg swimming, just enduring wet weather and maybe parking outdoors on un-level ground?
Fortunately I have not had this issue yet (My car is garaged mostly) but others have.

Refer similar posts and possible DIY fix
This is a design issue but not acknowledged by VW or fix offered.

Maybe the following will help
Warning - Check your airbox drain valves | Club Touareg
Forum
Wet air filter - 150TDI Oz. | Club Touareg Forum

Although I suspect that on reading your post again you probably already know most of the above.
No recall in Australia that I know of or offers of VW fix

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,749 Posts
Known issue, follow the threads for a fix. Interesting though, not everyone, inc myself had this issue despite parking in pouring rains many times....
The adventure does have different headlights, but I don't know if the taper is allowing for more of water running down to be channelled towards the intake....

·
Registered
371 Posts
I noticed some have removed the drain (bleeder valve) at the bottom of the air box. Whilst I have not disassembled mine to that extent I wonder if this does not introduce yet another issue. Eg the bleed valve is at the lowest point of the intake and I think on the engine side of the filter. Thus opening a convenient place to suck in water at an lower point than the existing intake opening. (You would probably need to be up to the hubs in water for that to be an issue though)

As you said Singh the problem seems to be that some Touaregs seem to have this issue
I guess this might suggest a slight difference in trim fitting/ adjustment/ design

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,415 Posts
Yes. You compromise the fording ability of the vehicle if you remove a check valve and put in an open hole in it's place. It can pull water, exactly as you describe.

What we need to do
1. find a high quality check valve that is dependable
2. put that high quality valve into the T3 Touareg, replacing the crap often non-working and undependable VW T3 valve.

In a better world, VW would have replaced the bad valves and fixed this problem for the T3 owners.

Last word. Funny the T1 (that uses valves) still does not have a report of a wet air filter.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
t1 owner here. i concur with nickyt; no water in air filter ever experienced in t1's. such a strange phenomenon for the t3s tho. i'd hope vw would have fixed this by now, but..well...we know they are unresponsive unless legally forced to fix something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
this is a massive issue - My T3 has a blown turbo, a ****ed intercooler and probably water in the engine as well.....the car has only been used as a city school drop off SUV and has been serviced at VW and filter has been replaced within scheduled service intervals. Massive damage on a 4 year old, $80,000 car with only 80,000 k's on the clock. VW needs to do a recall on this as consequences are catastrophic to the vehicle. To top it all of the event almost caused a collision whilst turning into traffic. Speaking to my lawyer about breaches of Australian consumer laws and other remedies

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got one of VW's 2016 Touareg TDI from VW's inventory they have released in the US with. 300 miles. Off truck and the engine light came on immediately. Supposedly not on at the dealership. Had dealer check it, engine air box full of water. Dealer says has seen it several times before. Another dealer says its $400 dollars to fix. Never mentioned this is a very common problem. with all the collateral problems it causes, turbo engine etc. Is there a fix for this from VW that anyone knows. See this has been a problem for years in the posts that I have read on this site.
Dont want to fight with VW on engine replacement etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got one of VW's 2016 Touareg TDI from VW's inventory they have released in the US with. 300 miles. Off truck and the engine light came on immediately. Supposedly not on at the dealership. Had dealer check it, engine air box full of water. Dealer says has seen it several times before. Another dealer says its $400 dollars to fix. Never mentioned this is a very common problem. with all the collateral problems it causes, turbo engine etc. Is there a fix for this from VW that anyone knows. See this has been a problem for years in the posts that I have read on this site.
Dont want to fight with VW on engine replacement etc.
Simple fix is to remove the one way drain valve out of the bottom of the pipe that runs from the bottom of the air filter box, but don't go driving through any deep water after you do that. VW should have manufactured a replacement and installed it as a service item, but clearly they really couldn't give a **** about after-service and preventing this problem from occurring. I'd also be very careful about taking the dealers word for it being a $400 fix. If the engine light is on, there could very likely be turbo / intercooler and engine damage. I suspect there is now a few of these vehicles driving around with damaged turbo's with their owners completely unaware. From experience, my level of trust from volkswagen or their dealerships is zero !

·
Registered
371 Posts
I see on the Touareg FB page this morning that VWoA (US) are offering a mod to remove the drain valve from the air box.
This is of course a work around and not really a fix for the poor design of the air intake.

FB page: /groups/259517294240336/permalink/1749523825239668/

Font Terrestrial plant Paper Paper product Document

·
Registered
14 Posts
I see on the Touareg FB page this morning that VWoA (US) are offering a mod to remove the drain valve from the air box.
This is of course a work around and not really a fix for the poor design of the air intake.

View attachment 246538 lve from the air box
Thanks for posting this. I'd love to get a full copy that shows the letterhead as well. I'm intending to continue to engage with VW Australia about doing a full service recall

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think it is important to remember that whilst removing the valve will resolve the issue of water not draining due to the valve being blocked. This does NOT resolve the issue of the intake swallowing water draining off the bonnet into the inlet in normal wet weather.
Furthermore removing the valve likely compromises the fording ability of the car creating an ingress point to the air box for which the valve was intended as protection

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
185 Posts
There are two valves on the air intake - at least on my 2013 V8 TDI which has two air intakes ( one for each turbo) making actually 4 drain valves, compared to one intake and two drain valves for the V6.

One drain valve is in the low point in the intake pipe from the grill to the filter and the other in the low point in the filter housing itself. These rubber drain valves are common to many cars. My Landcrusier had a similar valve on its intake system in the filter housing

The problem with the Touareg ones is that they are inaccessibly located so its hard to check they are clean and draining any water .... so no one ever does :(,

Crud can build up in the valve preventing water draining out and if water gets into the inlet then that can soak the air filter leading to its collapse and it then getting sucked into the turbo and doing major damage.

The T4 ( facelifted 7P) tregs appear to be especially susceptible to this due to the hood and grill design around the air intake allowing water to get in during rain in certain circumstances though it happens on other Treg versions also but it appears not as often.

Pulling the valve out will solve the blocking problem or just cleaning it regularly. In China as i understand it there was a recall for the T4's to fit deflector shields on the intake behind the grill to reduce the chance of water getting into the intake but this does not seem to have been adopted by VW in the settlement of the class action in the USA which made the lawyers a fortune but did not do much for the owners

cheers
Rohan

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,415 Posts
The problem with the Touareg ones is that they are inaccessibly located so its hard to check they are clean and draining any water .... so no one ever does :(,
While everything you say is correct, the real problem is that you should not have to check the valves.

The T1 and the T2 did NOT do this. The airbox and the hoses are very very similar.

This is similar to the SWS (steering wheel shake) problem that VW created for itself. The T1 and the T2 had a small centering lip that added a few ounces of metal to the vehicle. For some insane reason, VW deleted this ounce of metal and created nothing but a nightmare for both itself and for the owners.

For some reason, VW has also made a another small change in the Touareg that has resulted in the airbox full of water issue.

And just like the "Adblue is not part of the Emission System Warranty" scandal, VW does not want to stand up to fix this issue.

Except in China, where the government officials held VW accountable. Crazy stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts