Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Touareg V6 with no sunroof. It was parked outside for about a week during some heavy rains. Afterwards, it and noticed some strange sloshing sound coming from the rear. I got home, opened the rear hatch, and water poured onto my head.

I started to do some inspecting, and found that there was water trapped inside of the hatch itself. Also, the d-pillars were a bit wet, and the interior panels just below them seemed to be holding some water. I then opened the spare tire area and found over a liter of water pooled at the bottom of the well. Water had also found its way into the styrofoam bins that hold the jack and tools, etc.
I have since removed everything from the spare area and removed all the water, or so I thought...

When I drive around, I still hear a significant amount of water sloshing around back there. Specifically, the sloshing happens when the car is turning, making a U-turn, etc. It sounds as if there is a pool of water shifting from one side of the car to the other. It almost sounds like gas shifting around in the tank, but the sound started after the rain ingress issue so I am nearly certain it is not coming from the gas tank.

Can someone advise me where to look in order to drain this trapped water? These issues seem very well documented for the 1st generation of Touaregs and not so much for the 2011+ models. Also, people seem to mention sunroof drain pipes terminating in the wheel well liner. I have no sunroof, but Im wondering if there is something related to my issue behind those liners... The process for removing them seems much more involved compared to T1 and T2 so I want to be sure before I start breaking clips and tearing things off.

The only thing I have successfully done so far is remove a couple rubber plugs on either side of the floor of the car, just behind the rear wheels, at the corners of the cargo area. A little bit of water come out of each but there is definitely more trapped somewhere.

Im also trying to figure out where the water is coming in from. I had some body work done near the rear taillight so I suspect the issue is related to that. Or, just a bad weatherstrip seal around the hatch. My last guess would be a bad seal around one of the roof rails.

But my priority is to first get all unwanted water out of the Touareg. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well that’s unfortunate.. says the guy who bought a ‘15 two weeks ago.

Use a bailing sponge, the ones that are about the size of a brick move a lot of water and you can get it all, then open under cover to air dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
755 Posts
There used to be a rubber grommet at the lowest point in the boot/trunk floor.

On an earlier car I drilled a small hole in it to clear the water.

Then I cleared the blocked drains on the upper sides of the tailgate opening and put a blob of silicone on the drill hole to reseal it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well that’s unfortunate.. says the guy who bought a ‘15 two weeks ago.

Use a bailing sponge, the ones that are about the size of a brick move a lot of water and you can get it all, then open under cover to air dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He already did that.

·
Registered
899 Posts
There was a thread a little while ago that suggested the rocker panels under the doors gather water on some cars. Remove the plugs on each side ,I think there are 3 each side. Might help and it is relatively easy.. Water has to be in a cavity area,you've hit most of them. Disturbing thing is how so much water had access to the interior of the cabin . Good luck,let us know how it gets resolved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im also trying to figure out where the water is coming in from. I had some body work done near the rear taillight so I suspect the issue is related to that. Or, just a bad weatherstrip seal around the hatch. My last guess would be a bad seal around one of the roof rails.

But my priority is to first get all unwanted water out of the Touareg. Any help is greatly appreciated!
i've got a 2011 and was having water coming into the trunk of the car too. i took apart most of the trunk and couldn't figure out where the water was coming from. it wasn't until i re seated the rubber boots that house the wires that got go from the car body to the tailgate.

i also had some water pooled up in the bottom of the wheel wells so i put one of those damp rid containers next to the spare to try and "soak up" the water

·
Registered
33 Posts
When you say “wheel wells” are you talking about an area different from where the spare sits? Obviously easy to dry out spare tire area, I’m wondering if water also went some where near there that isn’t easily accessible. Spare tire, trunk lid, rocker panels are dry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you say “wheel wells” are you talking about an area different from where the spare sits? Obviously easy to dry out spare tire area, I’m wondering if water also went some where near there that isn’t easily accessible. Spare tire, trunk lid, rocker panels are dry.
so i'm not sure what its called but there are areas that are a pita to get to on either side of where the spare tire sits. in that weird area underneath the tail lights/behind the bumper/in the back of the back wheel well. i dropped my bit in there multiple times when i was taking apart the D pillar and i did have some water sitting in the bottom of that area

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok. I pulled a plug that I think drains that same area. It’s easy to get to. If you lay on the ground and look straight up past the muffler you’ll see it. Did you happen to pull that plug?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok. I pulled a plug that I think drains that same area. It’s easy to get to. If you lay on the ground and look straight up past the muffler you’ll see it. Did you happen to pull that plug?
no i didn't pull the plug because i didn't have THAT much water in there. i put the container of "damprid" next to the spare tire and just let it pull the residual water out of the air back there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts