Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been trying to figure out the battery drain I have been experiencing and discovered water under the carpet on the drivers side.
So I tried to trace where this water could come from checking the sunroof drains on that side.
The drains seem okay and water drains away. While slowly filling the "gutter" I noticed water coming from the overhead lights and then remember having noticed this before after heavy rains while I had the sunroof slightly open. I didn't think much about it at the time but realize now that that is the culprit and the water that slowly build up there runs down the side under the carpet and with all the wiring under there giving me all kinds of electrical issues.
I never had these problems before when I had the sunroof at the minimal opening, whatever rain water build up would just find it's way down the drains.
But the Treg is now 10 years old and so I wonder what's breaking down in the gutter area.

I suppose the quick answer would be always close the sunroof when it rains!

Should I open up the overhead console and silicone away on the seams?
I have never had it open so I don't know what to expect.

Any feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bulkhead drains are no issue - at a previous check a few years ago I removed the rubber "snorkels", they trapped debris eventually blocking those drains. So they had to go!
I have no water under the passenger side carpet where the computers hide under the seat.
Had a heater going all night drying the drivers side carpet and it is close to complete dry now.
I will check the flow of the drains today but I came upon this post on VWVortex: VWVortex.com - Water Leak thru Roof Console
So there is the possibility the TSB is related to a leaking tub on my car and I would need to silicone along the seam of the roof skin and the reinforcement frame.
Gonna be a fun day.......

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update: I completely dried the passenger side footwell under the carpet, took about a day and half with a heater going. Been two days now and no issues, no fault codes, no voltage drop. \\:D/ Cross my fingers!
All drains were clear. So I am suspecting the build up of the water under the carpet is from the times I left the sunroof slightly open for ventilation, forgetting about it and some of the downpours we have had overflowing the gutters and tub, the water finding it's way down to the drivers floor. Lesson learned, keep the roof closed with any indication of rain and rain in the forecast! :crazy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts