Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Touareg (41,000 miles) and recently I've been losing washer fluid from the fill port area during driving. The cap and strainer basket are in place and snapped on yet during normal driving the area around the fill port is soaked with washer fluid and puddles under the car in the garage. I went to the dealer and spent $35 on a new cap/strainer basket yet the problem continues. I've been stuffing a rag in the fill and that helps. There are no cracks or holes in the plastic fill port tube. It is really bizarre - it almost looks like there should be some type of o-ring in the cap to help seal it. This started happening right after my 40,000 mile service at the dealer. Not a huge deal but super annoying. Any ideas/ help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
No warranty? What did the dealer say? Or did they just sell you parts?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Something doesn't add up. The fill point is the high point in the system, so even if the lid was completely off, you shouldn't be loosing fluid constantly. Are you constantly filling it to the point where it's just below the cap? What happens if you activate your washers and allow the reservoir to drop 1/2 in level? Do you still get all this pooling and splashing? I would suspect that your leak is elsewhere like one of the sensor\joint seals, or a crack in the reservoir itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They couldn't see any reason for the leak. It is out of warranty (41,000
miles).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's definitely leaking from the fill area. I've been putting a dry rag underneath it to see what happens after I drive it and the rag is soaked when I get home. I know it doesn't make sense - I've looked at it from every angle. The reservoir is not leaking. The fluid was relatively full but not to the rim of the fill area.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,019 Posts
I have a 2017 Touareg (41,000 miles) and recently I've been losing washer fluid from the fill port area during driving. The cap and strainer basket are in place and snapped on yet during normal driving the area around the fill port is soaked with washer fluid and puddles under the car in the garage. I went to the dealer and spent $35 on a new cap/strainer basket yet the problem continues. I've been stuffing a rag in the fill and that helps. There are no cracks or holes in the plastic fill port tube. It is really bizarre - it almost looks like there should be some type of o-ring in the cap to help seal it. This started happening right after my 40,000 mile service at the dealer. Not a huge deal but super annoying. Any ideas/ help is appreciated.
My 2015 does that - my solution is to stop filling as soon as the fluid is visible in the translucent pipe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. That makes the most sense to me and explains why it started after the dealer serviced it, since I'm sure they filled it up all the way. It is really a bad design that the cap is not liquid tight.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
did i miss something .... how much fluid is in the system full ... 1/2 full ... 1/4 full

Parked up hill or down hill ?

I dont get it what you describe i could only envisage if you are running it right to the top

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
IIRC there is a joint In the fill tube a few inches back under the fender where it is articulated. You’d need to remove the fender liner to inspect it for leaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts