Club Touareg Forum banner

Was Buying Certified Worth It?

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my second Treg back in late February, decided to buy a certified '15 TDI LUX. Love the car, massive improvement from my 08 v6, still loved that car. Came from my '15 Lexus GS350 Fsport AWD, miss it every single day, sadly the car just wasn't big enough for work and fun. Lexus service spoiled the hell out of me I'm not going to deny that. From their valet service which brings you a loaner and takes your car to service, (no matter where you are) to free swag etc. Never once had an issue with service, beat out every other luxury brand I've owned too (BMW, Audi, Cadillac). Now we come to the time I have to bring the Treg into service, right about a month after I bought it. Needed AdBlue, a new windshield (every year here in CO), and a few other small things. Well glass guy brings the wrong glass, so I say I'll wait until the next visit. Guess what next visit rolls around about 2 weeks ago, guy brings the wrong glass. Glass guy comes back with the right one, keep in mind its been about a 5 days of my car being in service. After the new glass is installed apparently they were having issues programming/calibrating my assist systems. Turns out the glass man broke/bent the pins for the camera system. Gotta order a new system. Emich VW down in Denver lets me know they're 'fighting' with ABRA Glass to get them to pay for the repair, of course ABRA says they're not liableo_O. Well its been two weeks since the 1st when I brought it in and still my list of things to get done are not done (60k service, brakes, calibration, adblue, etc). Now don't get me wrong the dealership as a whole is a group of hardworking men and women, Fred Emich is an outstanding owner, when he sees you he'll always come up to you and speak with you. Great Guy. Sadly the assist system that is needed is back ordered so I must wait. I guess all in all its not the worst situation, just bothered by the lack customer service when it comes to these things (service manager is amazing! Todd Ellis). Did you buy certified? Was it worth the extra cost? In my mind I shouldn't have to pay 50 bucks every time I bring in a car that I paid extra for.

Side note: GAAAAHHD the Atlas is one of the worst cars VW has every made, (WAY) over priced, under powered, lane assist will jerk you the hell of the road, atrocious mpgs. I drove the SE $43,000 giant turd for 2 weeks and couldn't do it anymore after 4 tanks of gas as well (I'm a RE broker, I drive constantly). So sad that this is our Touareg replacement here in the US. Guess I'm moving so I can get the new V8 HA!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just purchased my 2016 Lux and it was a CPO. I am very grateful for the 39 months of bumper to bumper warranty that comes with it (1 year 3 months left on the new car warranty, 2 more with the CPO). Didn't cost me any more, I was shopping for a 2016 anyway (those vented seats are so worth it) and clean CarFax/low miles were my prerequisites so odds were that I was getting the CPO as part of the package.

Glad you are happy with Emich, I got screwed by their sales people. They had a car I was looking at. Sunday I emailed some questions. Grant (salesman) says he'll find out and get back to me. Tuesday the sales coordinator asks if everything was ok, I said no, still waiting for Grant. She checks with him, then emails me that he's working on it. Finally on Saturday I call, tell them I will talk to anyone BUT Grant and the person I was connected to could not find the vehicle in the system. Finds out it was sold BY Grant on Thursday. He was apparently stringing me along in case the other buyer flaked out. But never bothered to tell me anything.

I think that was completely ****ty, so I refused to answer any emails or phone calls from them. Found my car at VW of Bozeman, which is also 700 miles closer. Don't know what the local VW dealer is really like, but my father-in-law likes the dealership (they also sell Chevrolet here).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:Got a call today, I was asked by my service guy if all of my assist systems worked perfectly before this :mad:. Yes, of course, I used them every single day (Colorado roads are something else) I said to him, he proceeds to tell me that they're having trouble with the front assist system. Not the camera up top, the sensors down in the bumper on either side. Great. Already having issues after something was broken while with them. Stay tuned to see the repercussions from the work that has been done!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BIG UPDATE: So I get a call from my service, the front sensor bracket is broken. In order to calibrate the new ACC the bracket has to be working for movement. $700 part not covered by warranty. ARE YOU F***ING KIDDING ME? I came in for a new windshield and 60k service. Total was $450. Now I'm looking at a bill that I have in no way budgeted for and that I can't believe I'm going to have to pay for when I paid a considerable amount more for CPO. I'm at a loss for words at the moment and have just decided to go to the dealership an hour away for the 4th time since my car has been with them. 60k service thats all I wanted. Thank you Emich, you bent me over the chair and had your time with me. Absolutely the same as every other budget brand dealership.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
So your bumper-to-bumper warranty isn't really bumper to bumper? Or is this magical bracket not between the two bumpers? Keep fighting.... especially if this "malfunction" surfaced after they worked on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fred Emich got it done for me and is covering the whole repair. Trooper of an owner. Got it done right after I saw him today. Always go up the ladder I guess.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully some experienced owners see this continuation.

So I picked up my Touareg from the dealer on the 29th, 28 days after I went in for 60k service and a new windshield. As I believe I said I'm a RE Broker so I drive a very large amount throughout my week. Picked up the treg with 55,100 Miles. They paid for the new camera and sensor bracket. "Completed" all the 60k service items. Changed the seals on the valve cover. Preformed a very bad alignment (off by almost a full degree). Well today is September 9th. Went out to my garage, turned on the car and lo and behold these lights and warnings pop up: ACC and Front assist not available, Error: Stabilization Control. Because of this I went into the service tab on my screen, OIL OVERFILLED ALSO. My Mileage is currently at 55,558. That means I've been driving on an oil overfilled engine for over 400 MILES. Obviously its a Sunday (and the cowboys game is on :giggle:) so all I can do is leave a voicemail and an email for them. After reading through overfill threads needless to say I'M VERY VERY WORRIED FOR THE STATE OF MY CAR. My dealer (Emich) is 34 miles away. Live in Boulder, if you know Colorado you know that 34 miles is basically an hour drive while sitting in slow traffic. I'm worried that their response will be to bring it back, after driving over 400 miles, I don't even want to start it. I feel slightly dumb for not checking the oil prior to leaving the dealer but if you read my posts above, you'd know I just wanted to get the F outta there. So If anyone can provide some info that would be awesome. I can't believe dealers are this awful nationwide. Of course after picking it up from the month long rehab stint, my car was dirtier than when I dropped it off. Got a "coop-in" for two free base washes though... WOOO!

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
My selling dealer overfilled the engine... by almost a quart. However someone here told me the original specs for the V6 3.0L Diesel was for 8.7 qt, but they later changed that to 8.1 qt. No explanation except that the electronic oil level may have been set incorrectly and that the simplest way to deal with it may have been to just reduce the fill level so the ECU doesn't bitch at you.

Point is, the safe level may be 8.7 qt, but the car thinks it should be 8.1 qt. So you could have more than half a quart of oil too much and be perfectly ok.

Of course you don't know how much over you are. Look at the work order and see how much oil is on the paperwork. If it is 9 qt or less, you should be fine. If it says they put 10 qt in, I would not drive it.

Just a legal point: I make no representations about my expertise about Touareg oil levels. You need to make your own decision about driving/not driving, and you can't hold me responsible. I did not drive my vehicle after I discovered it was overfilled, and my recommendation is to remove the overage BEFORE driving. You will need a vacuum pump and some 1/4" plastic hose, and be able to identify the oil dipstick tube so you take out the right fluid. If you don't know what you are doing, have it towed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I presume that is supposed to be 9.0, but God only knows. If they put in 90 qts that would be something... how much did they charge for the oil- is it something divisible by 9 that looks like $12?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I presume that is supposed to be 9.0, but God only knows. If they put in 90 qts that would be something... how much did they charge for the oil- is it something divisible by 9 that looks like $12?
Looks like $84.60.

Kinda worries me a bit, usually its close to $200 😑😑

·
Registered
10 Posts
I actually almost bought a CPO Touareg from them about a month ago! I ended up buying one from Boulder Nissan. I'll probably take it to an independent shop whenever I do need something. That being said if you end up finding a great independent shop do let me know!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually almost bought a CPO Touareg from them about a month ago! I ended up buying one from Boulder Nissan. I'll probably take it to an independent shop whenever I do need something. That being said if you end up finding a great independent shop do let me know!

OHHH MAN! Of course I've got an amazing independent. Apikol Performance Automotive, recently moved down to Arvada. Doug and Troy are two of the best/meticulous mechanics I've had the pleasure to work with. With the route I've been down lately I may forget about the CPO and just have them do everything for me like I did with my B8 S4.

Apikol Performance Automotive (Doug & Troy)
5880 W 59th Ave unit g, Arvada, CO 80003
(303) 731-3571

1 - 15 of 15 Posts