Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this posts in the right place, I’m using Tapatalk on iPhone if not!!

Anyways... I bought a VW CPO 2016 Touareg Highline with 59k km on it... it’s been 3 weeks and yeasterday I got a check engine light... I am taking it to a dealership that it was not purchased at and will unfortunately have to pay diagnostic... if it turns out the issue is something they should have replaced/checked as being a VW Certified Pre-Owned, is there anyway I can get compensated for diagnostic and repair costs??

I think it might be the spark plugs as when starting on cold mornings the RPMs would flutter for 5-10 seconds before normalizing, creating a “sputter”... I can gaurantee this is the cause of the engine light...

Please anyone with info on this topic, you’d be saving a fellow brother of the TREGHOOD.

The VW dealership I bought it from has horrible reviews on google and my purchase experience was sub-par (I am being generous here)... I drove a distance to find my baby blue and this is the reason I am not taking it back to the dealer she was purchased at... in other news, I LOVE the new TREG :)

Thanks!

Cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW It’s V6 Petrol engine! How did I forget to mention that

·
Registered
468 Posts
Welcome to the forums and congrats (in a way) on your purchase.

IMO If you're serious about not putting the selling stealership on the hook for this, I would drive it to an local Autozone or such that will do a free scan and pull up the code for you. It will be stored in the ECU for them to read. Once you have the code you could report back or do a Google search on it and see what the possible causes are.
If your serious about keeping the vehicle you might want to invest in a VCDS cable/program so you can do that and more for yourself in the future.
Plugs and the coil packs for that matter on the gassers are a breeze to change. Trickiest part is getting the connector off the coil pack without breaking the locking tab...until you know how. Videos on Youtube will show ya' how.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Click on User CP to update your profile with car model, year and location then you don't have to explain in the posts each time!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forums and congrats (in a way) on your purchase.

IMO If you're serious about not putting the selling stealership on the hook for this, I would drive it to an local Autozone or such that will do a free scan and pull up the code for you. It will be stored in the ECU for them to read. Once you have the code you could report back or do a Google search on it and see what the possible causes are.
If your serious about keeping the vehicle you might want to invest in a VCDS cable/program so you can do that and more for yourself in the future.
Plugs and the coil packs for that matter on the gassers are a breeze to change. Trickiest part is getting the connector off the coil pack without breaking the locking tab...until you know how. Videos on Youtube will show ya' how.

Awesome! Can you recommend a brand or a link perhaps for a decent VCDS... I agree with you, it’s piece of mind to check immediately what the code is trying to tell me.

Also, I’ll take a look at Autozone and ask for a scan from them, I don’t feel like arguing a diagnostic fee with a dealer who could end up doing my service in the long run!

Thanks for the help,

Cam :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Click on User CP to update your profile with car model, year and location then you don't have to explain in the posts each time!

Thanks for the advice on this, I’ll definitely do this when I get to a web browser/laptop.

Cam :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Ross-Tech is the only supplier of VCDS.

https://www.ross-tech.com

There are other OBDII readers and there are also Chinese fakes using the VCDS name.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ross-Tech is NOT the only choice.
I got my Vag-Com cable and software from somewhere other than Ross-Tech or China. It might be a copy but it was half the price Ross-Tech charges and the BEST thing about it is that there is no 3 VIN# limit with it. I can help out multiple friends with it, which I've done.
Google Vag-Com cable and do some searching. You'll have to decide which site you'll ultimately purchase yours from.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In an off related topic, can either of you direct me to the replacement of the 15-17 bi-xenon bulb replacement?? I bought some OSRAM 7000k bulbs from amazon and am hoping it isn’t difficult, but then again, I could always pay a professional to put them in haha. Just wondering if there’s a tutorial around, I haven’t found anything!

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
7000K may be too blue.

The bright white light on OEM headlights is 4300K.

Generation 1 Touareg headlights suffers from two issues: the first is that the chroming falls off the headlight reflectors and the light output deteriorates, and the second is that the insulation breaks off the wires and can cause shorts.

When you get the headlights out do take time to check their condition.

On the subject of VCDS, this is one of the registered trademarks owned by Ross-Tech who develop and maintain the software.

Anyone else selling it without Ross-Tech's prior agreement is supplying counterfeit software.

Ross-Tech have done a good job helping VAG vehicle owners be independent of main dealers for diagnostics and also CANBUS tweaks that dealers can't or won't do. They're worthy of support.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
D3S xenon bulbs
OSRAM 66340CBB-HCB (7000k)

^ive done some research on these bulbs^

Turns out, even though the claim is 7000k, they only get to about 5000-6000k, from many YouTube comparisons and comments online about them... as for the housing failing, do you mean to expect this in a gen 3 Touareg as well?

Do you happen to know of a tutorial for the 2015-2017 touareg bulb replacement?

Thanks again for your help! I wonder if the dealer would swap them for me?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you click on User CP you can update your profile to add model, year and location. That way you get accurate answers!

You have a Generation 2 car where, thus far, the headlights don't appear to be failing in the same way as the much older Gen 1 cars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I just did that and the option continues to revert me to a 2005 R5 TDI, even after clicking and saving the 2016 V6 FSI...

Will try from computer when I get a chance, thanks!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sorry about that - especially as the R5 was never sold Canada!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts