Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I am new to the vw family. I just bought a 2016 vw touareg today and I have a few questions about the warranty. So the price was a pretty heft at 6500 for four years and I am now starting to think it was not worth it since doing more research has shown that people have very little issues with the last gen of the Touareg. Should I cancel it or do you think it is worth it down the line. I mostly purchased with piece of mind since the car has 62000 miles on it. 2nd question is if you own the last gen how has your experiance been with repairs and repair cost... Thanks!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Save the $6K.

If it was a diesel my answer would be different if you weren't covered by the extended diesel-gate warranty.

·
Registered
993 Posts
THAT IS HIGHWAY ROBBERY AT $6500. I bgt a new 2012 TDI and was nervous as well and got a 100 yr 100,000 warranty for $2750. Save your money or shop around for a more reasonable contract.

·
Registered
2016 Touareg Lux TDI, 2019 Passsat R-line
795 Posts
It's unlikely to see a repair for that kind of money in less than 100K miles not covered by insurance/Driveline warranty, but you will have some spendy maintenance items, such as breaks.
You know your tolerance for risk far better than we do. Touareg has a lower TC than comparable European SUVs, but it's not zero.
The high cost is because it's starting with 62K miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello All,

I am new to the vw family. I just bought a 2016 vw touareg today and I have a few questions about the warranty. So the price was a pretty heft at 6500 for four years and I am now starting to think it was not worth it since doing more research has shown that people have very little issues with the last gen of the Touareg. Should I cancel it or do you think it is worth it down the line. I mostly purchased with piece of mind since the car has 62000 miles on it. 2nd question is if you own the last gen how has your experiance been with repairs and repair cost... Thanks!
THAT IS HIGHWAY ROBBERY AT $6500. I bgt a new 2012 TDI and was nervous as well and got a 100 yr 100,000 warranty for $2750. Save your money or shop around for a more reasonable contract.
Yes it is robbery. I always buy Credit Union Mutual extended warranties because my experience with them has been superb and they offer many options at excellent prices. You don't have to finance with a Credit Union to buy it but only Credit Unions sell it. This is the one website I can find with the pricing: good luck! Home

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Hello All,

You should be able to get a lower priced warranty. My warranty paid for a power steering pump that sprayed fluid all over engine and one part was the wiring harness which had to be made and that one part was $10,025US. I had to find a new warranty co as the other one would no longer insure it!

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Return the warranty - invest the difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello All,

We recently purchased a 2016 with 65000 km diesel and researched the insurance and decided it’s not worth it. Major repair costs were capped and return to dealer making it worthless if a breakdown occurs a long way from home. As you say, these cars have a fantastic reliability history. Ours is making no signs of needing any warranty repair🤞

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've heard about way too many complaints, lawsuits and disasters from gullible people who purchased "extended protection" contracts, only to have the warranty company deny claims for a myriad of reasons. For example, if there is an engine issue, the warranty company will deny coverage because there isn't written documentation (from an accredited service center) that the engine oil, air filter and fuel filter were changed in accordance with the manual from the day it was new. These companies are serious profit centers due to there being so many ways to wiggle out of paying claims. I purchased extended coverage when I bought our 2012 Executive TDI, but I cancelled it within 30 days after doing some research and they gave me a full refund. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I've heard about way too many complaints, lawsuits and disasters from gullible people who purchased "extended protection" contracts, only to have the warranty company deny claims for a myriad of reasons. For example, if there is an engine issue, the warranty company will deny coverage because there isn't written documentation (from an accredited service center) that the engine oil, air filter and fuel filter were changed in accordance with the manual from the day it was new. These companies are serious profit centers due to there being so many ways to wiggle out of paying claims. I purchased extended coverage when I bought our 2012 Executive TDI, but I cancelled it within 30 days after doing some research and they gave me a full refund. Buyer beware.
I hear what you're saying, and I agree, but I believe the OP is referring to a Volkswagen warranty not an aftermarket

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
For anyone running a Tdi the one possible failure to keep in mind is the grenading of the HPFP which will cost up to US $16,000 to fix.

This should be a real concern for anyone who might be using poor quality diesel or someone who regularly runs their fuel tank down to the E on the fuel gauge.

Use good quality fuel from an outlet with a good turnover of its stock, or use a lubricity additive, and treat the 1/4 full mark on the fuel gauge as E and refill.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I doubt you will have that much in repairs. Put the money into a safe investment and draw if you need the money for repairs.
Yup this! No need for it.

Just sold back our 2010 TDI, had zero issues for 147K miles. Ran like new still. I only replaced Shocks and control arms around 125K miles. Oh and besides a HPFP failure which was covered under the emissions warranty. Other than that. Nothing ever went wrong. Never needed to replace or do much of anything besides regular maintenance. Solid ride. Skip the $6K that's a rip-off!!!! Put 2-3K in savings for any issues that may come up instead, if they do.

Extended warranties unless through the manufacturer are basically a scam/rip-off. I learned the hard way buy getting one, then when I tried to use it, they denied the claim. I then was still with in the time frame to get my money back for the warranty so I did. Never looked back. All repairs were paid by me which were not much of anything. I never lease either.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
For anyone running a Tdi the one possible failure to keep in mind is the grenading of the HPFP which will cost up to US $16,000 to fix.

This should be a real concern for anyone who might be using poor quality diesel or someone who regularly runs their fuel tank down to the E on the fuel gauge.

Use good quality fuel from an outlet with a good turnover of its stock, or use a lubricity additive, and treat the 1/4 full mark on the fuel gauge as E and refill.
Thats the thing. EVERYBODY running a diesel in the USA should be using an additive like Diesel Kleen.

Reactions: alfissimo

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Thats the thing. EVERYBODY running a diesel in the USA should be using an additive like Diesel Kleen.
Some sort of Lubricant every tank. From B100 to some additive. I use both and still had a HPFP blow up. So it's not 100% but I did fill up with Some Shell, 4hrs before the incident. Stay away from Shell Diesel. I also recommend an secondary Fuel filter if possible and always fill up if possible at high volume Diesel gas stations, trucks stops or diesel pumps with filters on them

DPC-STANADYNE_LUBRICITY_8-8_grande.jpg

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg Moonlight Blue
5,701 Posts
Don't need it, especially at that price!
They have proven to be pretty solid

1 - 19 of 19 Posts