Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
Looks like a good fix for water coming from above, well done.
The original design looks like a hungry scoop waiting for a load of Somethingwater, garden hose, high pressure car wash, bow wave when traversing water over road. Why on earth would they build that facing upwards 馃槦

Note to self, never direct water towards the grille of a Touareg.
Simple, water does not travel uphill!:love::ROFLMAO:

Is that why they call them "ginger beers"?

TonyB

Reactions: gatkins

Registered
Looks like a good fix for water coming from above, well done.
The original design looks like a hungry scoop waiting for a load of Somethingwater, garden hose, high pressure car wash, bow wave when traversing water over road. Why on earth would they build that facing upwards 馃槦

Note to self, never direct water towards the grille of a Touareg.
If you look, the car actually draws its air from a closed in void. The grill is blanked off in front of the upward facing scoop. The car relies on the gaps around lights, intercooler pipe path, gaps around the radiator to get its air. Even though it obviously works, I imagine the engine labours to draw in air. It's not the most efficient system they could have designed something that draws from a high up scoop with a decent water trap to deal with water crossings. In fact a snorkel option should have been an easy addition.

Registered
My Wife's GLC has a really wide scoop on top of the slam panel going to a big water trap. Though that car doesn't go off-road.

Registered
2016 Touareg Lux TDI, 2019 Passsat R-line
You can jimmy a flate edge or scrwewdriver in the tab to help it release the first one- pry up on the bit attached to the car, the grille will slide right out. Once you get the first one out, the rest pull out fairly easy.
Yeah, it's a gut check moment. About the time I imagine signing the check for a new grille, it pops free.

Tried to remove grille and failed dismally, but didn't break anything.
watched a few YouTube videos on how the grille just pops forward at the bottom with a firm tug.
(I didn't find one for a 2017/18 Touareg, but found Amarok and Tiguan videos which seem similar)
I have the VW manual that suggests...
鈥 Unscrew bolts -4-.​
鈥 Release locking hooks -3- on left and right of bumper cover -2-.
鈥 Pull radiator grille -1- forwards out of bumper cover -arrows-.​
I can only get 2 or 3 fingers into any available hole in the grill to grip and pull, and it does not want to budge, seems like it is fixed to the bumper.
I spent time working at it, referred back to the manual, tried poking about in the apertures of the grille looking for a release clip of some sort, no luck.
tried as much brute force as i dare on a component that I know is way too expensive to break it didn't even give a hint that there was any movement independent to the bumper..

Conclusions:
a: I must have fat fingers.
b: the Dollar signs were blinding my judgement.
c: I have missed an important step... (4 screws, pull forward)
d: NEVER found the locking hooks mentioned by VW manual
e: seriously need help and encouragement

On the bright side I was able to see into the filter box a bit, and the filter seems in good condition so far.

Registered
THANK YOU everyone for raising the issue and for all the information and advice.馃憤馃憤馃憤

About a month ago we ran through a few km鈥檚 of locusts. Took us ages to get the majority out but there are still clumps in nooks and crannies that we can鈥檛 find or get to.

Because we鈥檇 sprayed water into the front to help clear the locusts and been through a couple of car washes, we thought we鈥檇 check the air box.
Glad we did! We found that the filter hadn鈥檛 been mounted properly (so there was an air gap at the back), there was some water in the bottom of the air box, the filter had about 100mm of water damage, there were locusts in the bottom of the air box and clumped on the bottom of the air filter 馃槼

I still can鈥檛 get the grille off though! 馃檮馃槃

So Thank You all once again馃憤

Registered
2017 (MY2018) V6 TDI - Deep Black Pearlescent
@Hughsie , yep I got the bug spray too back in October and did exactly the same, used water to soften and attempt to remove the critters from the radiator, oil coolers and intercoolers.
A job that would be much easier without the grille. I did get a peek at my air filter still looks like new but haven't yet removed the filter, I will have another go at the grille today.
Going to try to release the clips but there is almost zero gap between the bumper and grille components, got to love fine engineering.

Registered
In experience gained over the years I always double check the fitting of the air filter inside the air box, so easy to get wrong yet so hard to pick up.
My suggestion is that everyone after a service done whether by dealer or independent, YOU take the time to check that the element and housing door are fitted correctly and securely.
If if wrong after checking there is no one but you to blame.

BTW, same thing applies after servicing with oil, cooler and power steering levels, only takes a minute or two.....
Oh, almost forgot, also check for hand tools left behind in the engine bay as I've found those there as well.... ;)

TonyB

Reactions: gatkins and Hughsie

Registered
In experience gained over the years I always double check the fitting of the air filter inside the air box, so easy to get wrong yet so hard to pick up.
My suggestion is that everyone after a service done whether by dealer or independent, YOU take the time to check that the element and housing door are fitted correctly and securely.
If if wrong after checking there is no one but you to blame.

BTW, same thing applies after servicing with oil, cooler and power steering levels, only takes a minute or two.....
Oh, almost forgot, also check for hand tools left behind in the engine bay as I've found those there as well.... ;)

TonyB
HAND TOOLS!!!!!馃槺馃槻
101 of basic fitting, motor work--always count your tools back in--everything has a place and there's a place for everything--including the 10mm socket.
Imagine the damage if it fell into a belt or on some cars, the bell housing inspection hole.
I find the air filter easier on the 7P compared to the 7L6
Graham

Reactions: Hughsie

Registered
2017 R Line V8
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Extremely happy to report that our car has run flawlessly over the easter weekend travelling approx 1000km from Brisbane to Tenterfield and back.
Clearly dodged a bullet.

@Hughsie ,
A job that would be much easier without the grille. I did get a peek at my air filter still looks like new but haven't yet removed the filter, I will have another go at the grille today.
Going to try to release the clips but there is almost zero gap between the bumper and grille components, got to love fine engineering.
Grant

I ran into a swarm of locusts a few years ago with the Silverado and it took days to remove them and install mesh to prevent it happening again.
I removed the grille on the Touareg some time ago to install stainless mesh to protect the radiators from bugs and stones.
Couldn't work out how to remove the bumper bar so slid the mesh between the slots in sections and used small cable ties to hold it in place.
Works a treat stopping large bugs and moths from reaching the radiators.

To remove the grille I used the square end of this spatula

use a piece of rag underneath it to protect the bumper bar from scratches and slide it into the slot to release the tabs one at a time while maintaining outward pressure on the grille.

Grille removed and placed upside down showing the tabs

use a torch to see where the tabs are located

close up showing lug the tab slides over and locks onto

Stainless mesh behind the grilles is hardly visible from a few meters away

upper grille

middle grille

lower grille

side grille

Learner
All these posts got me thinking, I hadn't checked the filters and intake in months.
Had a peak and all is fine.
Filters look new, show no sign of any water, dampness or debris. This is despite driving in heaviest of Qld rainfalls where people had pulled over due to the lashing tropical rain...... It rains here alright!

Registered
2017 (MY2018) V6 TDI - Deep Black Pearlescent
@KandC Thankyou for the detailed photos and advise, very much appreciated.
I had purchased some plastic trim removal tools but whilst sturdy they were too big to fit into the gap.
From your photo there seem to be more than the two tabs I was expecting at either end... which explains why it is such a snug fit and absolutely no movement in the grille.

Again THANK YOU for the pics, and I too will be taking the time to add some mesh before I travel too far, the bug mash in the coolers etc is not something i need.

Registered
2016 Touareg Lux TDI, 2019 Passsat R-line
Here's some more info- 2017 Sport w/Tech Engine Ingested Water

The bottom is kind of like L-shaped tabs interlocking, with the short legs of the 'L' catching on each other. You can free the ones on the end with a screwdriver or trim tool, but the rest you need to just pull. Wiggling the free end of the grill up and down as you pull it away from the vehicle may help. It's scary the first time, but I've heard no reports of breaking or cracking.

THANK YOU everyone for raising the issue and for all the information and advice.馃憤馃憤馃憤

About a month ago we ran through a few km鈥檚 of locusts. Took us ages to get the majority out but there are still clumps in nooks and crannies that we can鈥檛 find or get to.

Because we鈥檇 sprayed water into the front to help clear the locusts and been through a couple of car washes, we thought we鈥檇 check the air box.
Glad we did! We found that the filter hadn鈥檛 been mounted properly (so there was an air gap at the back), there was some water in the bottom of the air box, the filter had about 100mm of water damage, there were locusts in the bottom of the air box and clumped on the bottom of the air filter 馃槼

I still can鈥檛 get the grille off though! 馃檮馃槃

So Thank You all once again馃憤
View attachment 243722

21 - 32 of 32 Posts