Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a first generation Touareg with the v8 or v10 that has air suspension and the rear locker. The other options aren't super important to me. I don't want one with visible exterior rust but trail damage is fine as this will mainly be a trail beast with oversized tires. I'm looking towards the lower end of the pricing but I'm fine with higher miles as long as there's a good service history. Scratches and some dents are fine but I don't want faded paint since in Arizona it would probably start peeling in another year or two.

·
Registered
240 Posts
What’s so important about rear lockers? Like when is it ever used?

I have the 2010 TDi with Air and I guess mine only has the center locker which means 50/50 right?

And rear will distribute power more to left rear or right rear, right?

But when is it ever used I guess and why do people seek these out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason people seek it out is for off road. The Touareg doesn't articulate well so it often lifts a tire. You get more traction to the tire that's on the ground with a locker than you would with just the system acting as a locker by using the brakes to slow the slipping wheel. Often times by the time the system brakes you're already slipping a wheel somewhere on the vehicle so you end up having a lower overall coefficient of friction to try and move this massive offroader.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
849 Posts
If you are feeling adventurous I have the complete conversation for adding a rear locker to a v8 or V10tdi. Entire harness, modules, diff and axles. Looking for $650 for the v8 and $1100 for the V10tdi kit as that one has a brand new differential in the VW crate.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The reason people seek it out is for off road. The Touareg doesn't articulate well so it often lifts a tire. You get more traction to the tire that's on the ground with a locker than you would with just the system acting as a locker by using the brakes to slow the slipping wheel. Often times by the time the system brakes you're already slipping a wheel somewhere on the vehicle so you end up having a lower overall coefficient of friction to try and move this massive offroader.
Thanks so much for this explanation. I guess the rear locker aspect just makes these Touaregs completely unstoppable.

I’m gonna YouTube videos of them in action this way just to get a kick out of it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a very well maintained 2004 V8 with center and rear locking diff for sale I just posted a couple days ago on this forum. It sounds like it's exactly what your looking for. Let me know if you want more info and I have an add on autotrader if you want to check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
My 06 V8 will be going up for sale sometime in the next few months

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok it is up. 06 V10 in central Az. Few blemishes 163k asking $10k pics of the lockers. Just let me know and you can take a look.
Thanks
Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts