Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody.
I'm new to this Touareg world but I'm hoping to find some tips and usefull info at this forum.

At the moment I want to buy a VW Touareg 2.5 R5 163pk from 2006. The car has 134.000 km for the moment.

Are there any specific problem I should look out for? Some people told me these motors (2.5l diesels) have known problems once they have + 130.000 km (valves need to be replaced, problems with cilinders...).
Are these known problems for early Touaregs (2003, 2004,...) or also for newer generations like 2006?

Thanks in advance!!
Best regards,

Kim - Belgium.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Hi Kim. Welcome to the forum.

The R5 engine was originally developed for use in the Touareg as well as the T5 Transporter/Kombi/Caravelle. It is currently being used successfully in commercial as well as marine applications where high mileage is the norm, without any issues. It's a strong reliable diesel engine with relatively low maintenance costs as all the ancillaries are gear driven off the crank shaft (no Poly-V belts).

If looked after properly, ie. regular services with the CORRECT OIL and low sulphur diesel, it'll be good for a lot more than 130,000km. Check the car's service history and make sure it's been properly maintained.

Mine is on 116,000km now and the engine is atill as good as new.

The only difference between the 04/05 and the late 06< models was the addition of a diesel particulate filter (DPF), which requires the use of VW507.00 approved oil. (The older engines could use VW505.01). Otherwise they're identical.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A big thanks for this information!
Any other experiences or informations are always welcome.

The car was bought second hand when it only had 10.000 km's. I suppose (and will check) all necesarry maintenances were done by a certified VW dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts