Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been chipping away at my audio setup for a while now. I've had some Morel Hybrids sitting on my desk, mocking me... laughing at me... "Ha Ha Ha... you can't hear me, can you!?!?!"

I've been holding off on the install because I was trying to make my own adapters to fit the 6.5" mid-driver in the Dynaudio massive hole in my door.

At first, I had a series of rings that I cut out and glued together. They were not only ugly, but about half an inch short. Gotta smack myself in the face for not listening to the ol... "measure twice, cut once" mantra!

So I took what I had apart, and then tried fitting a ring inside the OEM bracket. I figured I would screw that ring to the adapter, then the speaker to the ring. Well, that didn't work out so well either. I ended up cracking the wooden ring in a couple sections, even after pre-drilling where I was putting the screws.

So I moved on to another forum, diymobileaudio.com. On there, I found similar attempts to make adapters. I must say, they looked a whole lot better, and clearly more successful than me. But, I wasn't interested in investing in more wood working tools. So I found this guy Bill...

http://stores.ebay.com/avpriority/

He came highly recommended on the other forum, so I reached out to him and gave him my goals. A few email exchanges later, with some pictures and measurements, WABAAM!!! My rings are done.

I chose to combine one set of his angled 6.5" adapters, mounted onto a 10" ring. This will give my my clearance I need to clear the window regulator, the width to allow for proper attachment to the door, and a nice pitch up towards the driver/passenger.

As soon as they arrive... I'll add some photos...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so I finally ran some speaker wire from the Audison SRX4 that I have in the back. I tucked it in the cubby where the OEM air suspension tank would go.

I had already put in some sound deadening material weeks ago. So tackling the driver's front door had a good head start.

Here's what the adapters looked like when I got them...

I had an angled piece made, to somewhat replicate the slight angle that the OEM Dynaudio adapter had...

Plenty of clearance in the back, so the window regulator is not an issue...

Once I confirmed the fitment was going to work, I started my pre-treatment of the rings. I picked up a can of Rust-Oleum to coat the rings as to prevent any moisture issues over time.

A lot of posts referenced using a bed liner spray, but I liked how this stuff came out...

Once it dried, it left a nice matte finish, and felt like a nice light rubber coating...

I predrilled holes in the adapter, as well as the door, so could screw it in with no issues...

Once I got the adapters secured, I predrilled the holes for the Morels and screwed them in. I added the F.A.S.T rings I got a while back and WABAAM!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I get some more time, I'll run the wiring for the passenger side, and repeat everything I did for the mounting of the adapter and speaker. Then I'll finally have a decent front stage!!

:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks great! love the pictures. I used Bill @ AVpriority as well for my 2014 mounting brackets, although I wish I would have coated them in that rubber spray like you did.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have him do something a lil more "precise?" I feel like mine, even though I'm totally satisfied, were a lil "crude." Nothing on his part... he made exactly what I asked him to.

But when you look at some of the other adapters that he has made, that were vehicle specific, you can tell his abilities far exceed what I had him do. So I'm curious is what you had done to yours were a lil better?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where the Audison amp is tucked away...

And the Morel Ultimo in the back, with no more red LED ring... it got annoying...

·
Registered
734 Posts
At first, I had a series of rings that I cut out and glued together. They were not only ugly, but about half an inch short. Gotta smack myself in the face for not listening to the ol... "measure twice, cut once" mantra!

Measure twice, cut once?

I have no idea what you're talking about. Nope, none. :)

Yep, I meant to cut the steerer column too short on that carbon bike fork, if only because it's out of production and I can't find any more 1" carbon forks. Yep, that's it. I meant to do it. Who needs the extra length for the stem? Not me, nope. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guessing sarcasm...? But, since I'm not sure...

On my original set of rings, I measured the OEM speaker adapter. Since the rivet holes are on the outer most edge, I used those points to measure. It got me 9". So I cut the original rings accordingly.

What I didn't account for was the fact that in order for me to screw those rings to the door frame, I was cutting it too close. I needed another .5" on each side so that I could pre-drill the rings and still screw them into the door frame, without getting too close to the inner edge of the hole the speaker drops into.

So, I made a mistake and learned from it. That's why I had Bill make the rings 10" in diameter.

Does this help? Or did I miss out on the joke...?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Guessing sarcasm...? But, since I'm not sure...
Yes, I'm commiserating with you...

Nice work, btw, and great photo documentation!

I'm into good sound too and I've done a few stereo systems in the past...now I'm mostly sticking to adding Dynamat and leaving it at that. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check out the HVAC section at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc... look for Frost King Duct Insulation. It so much easier to work with, and SUPER cheap compared to the major sound deadening materials for car audio.

Thats what I used and I like my results.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check out the HVAC section at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc... look for Frost King Duct Insulation. It so much easier to work with, and SUPER cheap compared to the major sound deadening materials for car audio.

Thats what I used and I like my results.
Yup! I've been using that stuff since high school. Same results at a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, as it turns out, 12" and a big hole is WAY BETTER than 10" and no hole...

I swapped my 10" Morel Ultimo in a sealed box for a 12" Morel Ultimo in a ported box. Both were 2 ohm, both driven by the same Rockford 200ix... but far from similar bass response!!! I am much happier with this setup. Still fast and tight bass response, but now I get that nice punch in the chest!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts