1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
730 Posts

Yes...it's really interesting that the same basic compressor is used across a variety of platforms, including VW, Audi, Porsche, Land Rover, etc.

What I find even more interesting is that compressor failures in the allroad seems to be a lot more common than those in the Touareg. Maybe it's age...the allroad was sold in the US between 2001 and 2005, while the Touareg, with the same compressor, was sold 2004-2010.

Or it could be other parts of the system... the compressor typically fails from overuse -- trying to keep up with a leaky suspension system. Perhaps the Touareg components (valve block, air bags, etc.) are more robust than those in the allroad.

At any event, I'm in the process of rebuilding the compressor in my '04 allroad -- new piston ring, new dryer components, etc. Aftermarket parts are inexpensive. In fact, a complete aftermarket assembly is 1/4 OE cost. Almost not worth rebuilding...but the rebuilding components are $75, while a complete aftermarket compressor is $250.

At some point I'll rebuild the compressor in the Touareg...but for now it's working just fine! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts