Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am the owner of 2005 V8 Touareg that currently has engine damage from a very convoluted series of events. My options are now to either scrap it (which isn't an option) or get a new engine. To that end, I am wondering if there is anything stopping me from putting the W12 into the V8 body?

I admit I know nothing.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
In the circumstances you describe, totally unrealistic.

Scrap the car or get a secondhand V8 engine and replace like for like.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Neither is an option unless the guy is going to throw a helluva lot of dollars at this!

·
Super Moderator
9,720 Posts
Not to mention there were never any W12's shipped to NA. So importing one could be pretty expensive aside from all that would be needed to install it in his Touareg. Just buy another V8 for it and go from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm of the opinion that I may as well go balls to the wall. I've located engines in Germany I'm willing to import, for around 7k us, and have a friend with an autoshop that's willing to do the work for me. My question is one of a technicalities: will this work?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am sure it is possible. It is just a matter of having the know how to make it work with all the features these trucks have. If you got the engine with the harness and both ECU's that would be a hell of a good start. Getting it to properly integrate with the rest of the trucks computers is the tricky bit. From a cost to power benefit it would be way cheaper to stuff a LS engine in there and make any amount of power you want to make or even a cummins. then you just have to sort out the dash and air ride. If I were in your shoes I would buy a replacement V8 or have it repaired and put it back in the truck and enjoy it. I don't know your level of skill but this is not as simple as dropping a W12 in and splicing a few wires together.... although you never know it could be.... but you will not find that out until you are 10K into your project.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am curious what failed with your 4.2?

just throwing this out there but a RS6 swap would be absolutely fantastic. Use your existing engine or a replacement and install RS6 manifolds and turbos. little bit of pluming and tuning and off you go. boat loads of power to move your boat.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

just throwing this out there but a RS6 swap would be absolutely fantastic. Use your existing engine or a replacement and install RS6 manifolds and turbos. little bit of pluming and tuning and off you go. boat loads of power to move your boat.
This is a much better idea than the W12 and it will be an easier fit into that engine bay, cheaper, and faster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hit from behind caused engine to leak coolant somehow...don't ask me, I am no mechanic. Engine apparently spraying coolant and warped at this point.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
In the circumstances you describe, totally unrealistic.

Scrap the car or get a secondhand V8 engine and replace like for like.
This^^^

Once you source a W12 out of a Phaeton or A8 or Bentley, you'll need a zillion small parts and a ton of knowledge to make it work.

It would be cheaper and better to fix/sell and buy something fast out of the box, like a Cayenne turbo.

·
NYFAIM - What's it mean?
531 Posts
Not to mention there were never any W12's shipped to NA. So importing one could be pretty expensive aside from all that would be needed to install it in his Touareg. Just buy another V8 for it and go from there.
While true the W12 was never available in the Touareg in NA, the VW W12 did come to NA in the VW Phaeton. The VWAG W12 was also available in NA in the Audi 6.0 A8L and the Bentley Continental GT.

So, while the chances are probably slim to none, one might successfully locate a VWAG W12 engine from a NA import salvage source that could be adapted and installed in the Touareg V8 chassis.

Regardless, probably a VERY expensive proposition!

·
Banned
7,167 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The issue for me is not so much the mechanical element of making the swap and the additional costs of all the auxiliary bits and pieces required to get the engine and its ancillaries to fit, it is the electrical/ECU/VCDS stuff of getting it all to work correctly that I think will be the biggest headache of the exercise and, given that the OP openly says "Don't ask me, I'm no mechanic" I think he is grave danger of writing an open ended cheque to his mechanic chum who may never get the thing working properly as well as building a car that may prove to be extremely difficult to sell.

As I said at the off, find and fit another V8.

If you still want more poke, sell the fixed car, buy a V10 and remap it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts