Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a couple of months left on my lease (15 TDI Lux).
I’ve been considering buying out the lease while simultaneously looking at other options.
Looked at a BMW X5 and the dealer showed interest in buying my Treg. I wasn’t even th8nking of trading it. Thus I contacted VW credit and they said I cannot trade it ‘because it is a TDI’.
Anyone familiar with this?

Seriously considering just turn8ng it in an ending the drama.
Bta

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ok so I have a couple of months left on my lease (15 TDI Lux).
I’ve been considering buying out the lease while simultaneously looking at other options.
Looked at a BMW X5 and the dealer showed interest in buying my Treg. I wasn’t even th8nking of trading it. Thus I contacted VW credit and they said I cannot trade it ‘because it is a TDI’.
Anyone familiar with this?

Seriously considering just turn8ng it in an ending the drama.
Bta
Sounds odd. Just ask them for a payout quote, send them a check and it's yours - keep it, trade it, do what you want.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yes, you can buy it at the end of the lease as stipulated in the contract, then do whatever you want with it. However, they will not let it go into private hands any other way but that. The reason is they need to get 85% of the TDI’s through the settlement process and just getting a leased one off the road is the simplest for them. They won’t have to do any further warranty work, etc, it’s just off the road and done with.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Sounds like it is time to tell VW you want the cost to buy out the lease.

A used TDI with the good emission warranty on it is a pretty nice ride. Plus, the warranty should help them sell better on the used market.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To clarify, I know I can buy out my lease and the exact pricing to do so.
That’s if I choose to do so in 60 days.

Alternatively I was considering trading it (with a little positive equity) on the purchase of the BMW I mentioned. VW says I can’t do that.

I know I can buy it out. That was my original plan.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Right. I understood. VW Finance won’t let any diesels be signed over, bought out, or go into private hands any way other than into yours as they are obligated to do under the original lease contract, for the reasons I explained above.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
So you buy it out. The second you have the title, you trade it for the bmw.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Let me guess: the problem is that the lease end purchase price is well above current market value for the car, and while the BMW trade quote is also above current market value, it is still lower than the lease end purchase price.

Did I guess right?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sounds like you just bought a Touareg then!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Following up- visited dealer today to discuss buyout. (Per VW credit it would be easier and faster). In the process I learned that VW credit is offering 2.9pct rates on 2.0 liter models but a whopping 6pct on the 3.0 liter TDI !
They are really making it difficult to buy the car out.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
VW strategy is very clear. Maximize. Maximize. Maximize. Start high. If they don't move, VW will the drop down a little. Eventually VW will find the highest point where they do move. Anymore it appears that VW HQ has the same ethics as a payday lending store.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Most if not all dealers have access to numerous lenders to get the best rate, and a few tenths for themselves. Frankly when I've gotten a rate from my credit union, it has never been close to the rate the dealer can get, which on the last couple cars were 2.4%, and the lender ended up being AmeriCU for the last 2 cars. The only reason to use VW credit is when they are offering deals, 0%, 0.9%, 1.9%, 2.9%.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I always take the rate I can get at my credit union and move down from there. I realize credit score has a lot to do with it as well, and not everyone has a great one. The last couple vehicles we have financed we have gotten at least a half a point better than my credit union (which has great rates BTW) from the dealerships 3rd party options (which are WAY better than VW Credit and Audi Finance). Anyways - my point is that you can push them a lot on financing with good credit.

As for the OP - I find it hilarious they want to make the 3.0 TDI s tough to buy. Oh well. Good luck with whatever direction you go!

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
The TDI part of this equation is irrelevant. You can't trade in a vehicle that you don't own. You need to buy it out first and then trade it in. This is the case with any leased vehicle from any brand.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The TDI part of this equation is irrelevant. You can't trade in a vehicle that you don't own. You need to buy it out first and then trade it in. This is the case with any leased vehicle from any brand.
In some cases the other car company eats the remaining lease. Or you can Terminate it early. My friend had a 2015 Accord that he had 1.5 years left on the lease. Subaru ate the lease, he even traded in the Accord at the Subaru dealer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
10 Participants
Touaregman33
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing