Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello VW Toureag experts , I have a vw Toureag 06 , whenever i refuel with over half tank, it’s acceleration power reduces actually it sometimes even the engine keeps stopping,
And later when the gas lowers to 30 liters it again operates well. I have replaced both fuel filter and fuel pump but nothing have changed .
Have been in multiple garages but no help, please how do you advice. Thank you

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,442 Posts

·
Registered
09 TDi
1,014 Posts
My guess would be that the tank isn't venting properly. When it gets low there's enough residual air in the tank to avoid a vacuum. Otherwise it's starving for gas

Reactions: D’lion

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Just take off your gas cap and see if it runs better. It isn't that, but in ten seconds you can eliminate that possibility with a zero cost test.

Your only strange symptom is that you comment that it happend both before and after a fuel pump replacement. Still need the fuel flow and pressure test. If you were into the tank, I will assume that there is no leaking around the fuel flanges. It would/should have been obvious.

Now quit fussing around and get the fuel pressure and fuel flow tested. New generic pumps are often bad. Especially the pumps that are sold at bottom dollar on e-bay. Also, it is easy to mess up the install. Any of these fuel delivery problems will either be confirmed or eliminated by the fuel pressure and fuel flow test. Captain Obvious states that the test should be ran when enough fuel is present that the vehicle is not running properly.

Also remember that you have two tanks with two pumps that do a handoff at around the 1/4 tank remaining point. From your description, you are having problems when the tank is more full, but after the "less full" handoff, your problems go away.

We have some good threads on here that go into the gas tank details.

Fuel pump relays can go bad, so eventually we will have to check on their condition.

If you look around, there is a hack where we disable one of the two fuel pumps. The car goes into a backup mode, running on a single pump without the fuel pump handoff. This is sometimes used as a temporary solution to get you going again.

Also, a VCDS scan would be useful if there is a way you can provide one.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I should have thought of this when I mentioned that bad fuel pump relays are a problem.

Also check the fuel pump wires where they go into the top of the fuel tank. We have reports of wiring damage and chaffing in that area. Repairing the damaged wires fixed strange fuel pump problems for a few of the people here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.