Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am a new member I've had my VW MY12 for nearly 2 years now and located in Melbourne, Australia. I've had non-stop problems with the car infotainment or computer system since purchase. Started with the navigation freezing however has got progressively worse where the complete computer system shuts down and resets itself whilst driving. I've had no luck with the VW dealership and the car has been back seven times now. Take a look at the below videos and you will be amazed at what happens to the vehicle. Any thoughts comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I feel I'm really getting nowhere ..
These are just a fraction of the videos and it very much happens daily. Apologies if this is not the right forum for this feed

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
Hi all, I am a new member I've had my VW MY12 for nearly 2 years now and located in Melbourne, Australia. I've had non-stop problems with the car infotainment or computer system since purchase. Started with the navigation freezing however has got progressively worse where the complete computer system shuts down and resets itself whilst driving. I've had no luck with the VW dealership and the car has been back seven times now. Take a look at the below videos and you will be amazed at what happens to the vehicle. Any thoughts comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I feel I'm really getting nowhere .. VW TOUAREG MY12 speedo infotainment frenzy 3 REVIEW 2013 - YouTube VW TOUAREG INFOTAINMENT DASH FAILURE, NAV, SPEEDO REVIEW 2013 - YouTube VW TOUAREG MY12 speedo infotainment frenzy 2 REVIEW 2013 - YouTube VW TOUAREG MY12 speedo infotainment frenzy 4 REVIEW 2013 - YouTube These are just a fraction of the videos and it very much happens daily. Apologies if this is not the right forum for this feed

I'd suggest putting it up on VW of Australia's FaceBook account, and mention it's been in 7 or 8 times to be fixed by VW, to no avail. That should get their attention.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Posted on Volkswagen Australia Facebook page this morning..

VW MY12 TOUAREG 0-280km in 0.05 seconds - new world vehicle record!

Any thoughts comments, recommendations on replacing my unroadworthy, unsafe and probably uninsurable car would be greatly appreciated.

After you have had seven attempts and 18 months to try and fix it, and want me to wait a further 6 months for what you 'believe' a software update will 'probably' fix in March 2014 is an appropriate solution...surely the least you can do is replace this vehicle for a like-for-like I purchased brand new..Volkswagen Australia ?

These are just a fraction of the videos..

I don't recall asking for this an optional extra when I purchased this brand new car under 2 years ago

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have noticed in my MY13, that the infotainment has rebooted itself a few times while the vehicle has been in motion since I've had the car (10 months) and now 25,000kms. In those instances I didn't notice the dash resetting as well - it may have, possibly because I was glancing at the infotainment screen I didn't see it. I just put it down to a software glitch... Your issue seems more frequent.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Steve, yes mine started as just the navigation unit freezing and you couldn't do anything about it until it reset itself sometimes a day later. Then went to the whole unit including the dash resetting itself what you're currently experiencing and now when it happens it happens for the whole trip and you have to turn the car on and off.
It has definitely got progressively worse over the last 20 months or so, going from intermittent to now around 30 or 40% of the time I'm driving the vehicle. Have you raised this problem with VW as I have been told I'm the only person in the world experiencing this problem!
Next time you drive the vehicle and you hear the radio or any music or if you are on the phone etc start to cut out it probably means this is going to happen so have a look at the dashboard quickly - and the speedo etc only used to happen the first time everything reset however now it seems to be recurring throughout the journey and you are left with no functionality of the infotainment system Bluetooth or controls

·
Registered
209 Posts
Posted on Volkswagen Australia Facebook page this morning..

VW MY12 TOUAREG 0-280km in 0.05 seconds - new world vehicle record! ...

....I don't recall asking for this an optional extra when I purchased this brand new car under 2 years ago
I think that you are not helping your cause by applying spin with sarcasm or humour to your posts to VW about this issue. To me, it would indicate that you are not serious about your claims.

Have you had a face to face discussion with the dealer principal where you bought the car? Surely he would agree that the car is unroadworthy and that it is his responsibility to fix it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi murraycod, I do consider this issue to be very serious however I required a headline that would be brought to the attention of VW as I have attempted to have this issue resolved since purchase and how else can I grab people's attention to this safety concern and ultimately the attention of the powers at VW HO or global? I do appreciate you comments though - so thanks and I have not spoken to the dealer principle, this was never offered as an option to me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
OK, just reading your facebook headline, it seems that you are making some bulls..t claim.

If I was in your shoes I would focus all the effort through the selling dealer. According to Australian consumer laws, they are responsible for the product that you bought. Find the highest rank individual you can find, usually the Managing Director, and put the problem to him/her. Don't take no for an answer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It looks like a faulty ground to me. Are your battery terminals tight and free of corrosion? Next step would be to look in the kick panels and behind the dash to make sure all grounding points are clean and tight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Appreciate all your help and advice. I am going to register a report with products safety Australia and see if they will show any concern.

My other concern is that I think I would have been one of the first to customers in Australia with this model vehicle (dec 11) so you wonder whether more reports will eventually start to surface or there is some fault it the system that is slowly degrading without owners realising

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi murraycod, I do consider this issue to be very serious however I required a headline that would be brought to the attention of VW as I have attempted to have this issue resolved since purchase and how else can I grab people's attention to this safety concern and ultimately the attention of the powers at VW HO or global? I do appreciate you comments though - so thanks and I have not spoken to the dealer principle, this was never offered as an option to me.
I agree with murraycod, your headline should be changed to something more appropriate - it's a major safety issue and that's what you should focus on...
Your headline will only attract hoons and the like.
You need to push the safety aspect and lack of VW's concern - it's real. I would not be driving that car anywhere until I was satisfied that the info I need to drive safely is being displayed constantly in front of me...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you have a look at the video title there is only one video with a 'that looks interesting headline' - just felt otherwise the wider community wouldn't click through to be alerted of these issues.

Feedback taken and I will change it to just about anything if it gets the attention of VW execs and the like and other TOUAREG owners are aware of possible issues and to be aware of the signs this will become an issue if not addressed

Suggestions welcome, however will change it back to the original as agree this is a serious issue and should not be taken humorously.

·
Registered
209 Posts
VW Aus have had quite a beating recently over the DSG problems and other issues causing their (way over-priced in Aus) models to suddenly lose power whilst driving, some Touaregs have had these issues too, it's not just Golfs and Passats.
The hue & cry has only just dropped - I would give VW one more attempt to rectify the problem and then I would be off to the media - some of the Aussie press would be itching for this to keep the pot boiling. Their motives are perhaps mainly due to VWA cancelling advertising contracts rather than it being a safety issue but in the end they will be the ones that will probably get the ball rolling for your eventual satisfactory outcome...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And it is unfortunate that VW service staff bear the brunt of our frustrations when it is ultimately not their incompetence to begin with and reflects even more poorly when 'Germany' do not take concerns from down our way seriously.

You would hope VW Australia's media or marketing department are across several of these forums and do have an understanding of what is occurring in the real world with the products they make and distribute.

Strangely enough I can buy a dyson vacuum for a fraction of the cost that comes with a 10 year warranty..why doesn't the vehicle industry stand by their products like Dyson considering a vehicle is probably the second largest investment we will make.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Strangely enough I can buy a dyson vacuum for a fraction of the cost that comes with a 10 year warranty..why doesn't the vehicle industry stand by their products like Dyson considering a vehicle is probably the second largest investment we will make.
Here is your suggestion for your next car, get the one that Dyson makes with the 10 years warranty. If you have a such serious problem with your Touareg then park it at the dealer and tell them to fix it or get it defected by police to get more facts to push your case. Otherwise you're just trolling the same posts over the internet at different forums. I don't know what you want to achieve with that? The Touareg from Touareg2 is quite reliable compare to other makes and models and any brand gets a single car that passes the quality control and has some faults, it's because the cars these days are made with a lot of electronics on board. Just visit any other brands forum.

I would get serious about fixing the issue and start enjoying my car, if I was in your shoes.

:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is your suggestion for your next car, get the one that Dyson makes with the 10 years warranty. If you have a such serious problem with your Touareg then park it at the dealer and tell them to fix it or get it defected by police to get more facts to push your case. Otherwise you're just trolling the same posts over the internet at different forums. I don't know what you want to achieve with that? The Touareg from Touareg2 is quite reliable compare to other makes and models and any brand gets a single car that passes the quality control and has some faults, it's because the cars these days are made with a lot of electronics on board. Just visit any other brands forum. I would get serious about fixing the issue and start enjoying my car, if I was in your shoes. :)
Thanks Miro, you raise valid points and I do hope you are enjoying your vehicle and have no issues. Yes, I agree I maybe the only the car in the world with this issue, so why not replace it and have zero people in the world with this issue.. If you think I am the only one in this world with this issue you are dreaming..why else would VW be preparing and planning a software upgrade in March 2014?? do you think this is just for me?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts