Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got rid of our 2014 3 litre diesel touareg, the waranty is not worth the paper its written on, 25,000 km both front rotors worn, we dont have a tow bar,my partner drives this ,she is a very carefull driver , car has never been off road. vw said normal were and tear,so no warranty. most dissapointing car we have ever had.:frown2:

·
Registered
236 Posts
25000Km on a Touareg is not unknown but no manufacturer I know would cover brake wear under warranty even tyres and battery would get partial warranty
Colin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Colin , i beg to differ, i drive a 2014 triton and tow a comercial trailer , had a brake issue with it at 30,000 km warped rotors and mitsubishi replaced them under the 5 year waranty, and the triton did not cost $78,000 like the Touraeg did. perhaps volkswagen could learn from mitsubishi how to look after people.
Since then i have bought 5 tritons for my bussiness, i was looking at some Amaroks, but i dont want vw rubbish any more, i cant afford the down time,and the worst resale of any vehicle that we have ever owned.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Gazman. Was the rotor issue the only reason why you got rid of the Touareg? Just sounds like there might be some other reasons as well as to why you were getting rid of a 24 month old car with only 25,000 on the clock.
Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2014 Touareg

Hi mate , the biggest worry with these emission cheating cars ,is the costs of repairing and servicing them They way they chew out the $800 front set of tyres is insane. Also $900 to buy replacement front rotors done 25,000 km.
Also the amount of cars at my local dealership with engines and transmissions on the floor is unbelievable, speaking to the service manager at VW, he tells me its quite common , LOOK OUT WHEN THE SO CALLED WARANTY ENDS.
So back i go to the Japaneese brand with better and cheaper fixed price service.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi mate , the biggest worry with these emission cheating cars ,is the costs of repairing and servicing them They way they chew out the $800 front set of tyres is insane. Also $900 to buy replacement front rotors done 25,000 km.
Also the amount of cars at my local dealership with engines and transmissions on the floor is unbelievable, speaking to the service manager at VW, he tells me its quite common , LOOK OUT WHEN THE SO CALLED WARANTY ENDS.
So back i go to the Japaneese brand with better and cheaper fixed price service.
The emission issue does not effect Touareg and the only reason Mitsubishi replaced youre brakes was for a warped rotor not pad wear
Colin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2014 Touareg

Yes thats right , my point Colin was Mitsubishi replaced my rotors under waranty , the same problem happened with the toe rag buy VW WOULD NOT REPLACE THEM UNDER WARANTY.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2014 Touareg

Also please see the us EPA has found the same defeating device fitted to toe rags in the USA.
If you beleive that vw, that really honest company, is telling the truth in Australia , then please get in touch with me i have some waterfront land you will be interested in.

·
Registered
344 Posts
G'day
I have a mate with an Audi Q7. He was astonished to find that rotors normally get replaced at same time as pads. Designed to pull up from high speeds.
His opinion was well I've replaced heaps of brake pads on Holdens and not one rotor. But brakes nowhere near as good.
How many warped rotors on this list?
Anyway bottom line, if you are not happy, get rid of it...

·
Registered
427 Posts
60,000kms on my MY14 Touareg... still on the same tyres and still on the same brake pads and rotors. And that's with around 5,000kms on the dirt and 20,000kms towing a 1.5 tonne camper trailer..... I'm happy :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Touareg discs/rotors and pads should be good for upwards of 40,000 miles, say 65,000 kms plus. Some folk have got double that out of them - I did on a 2003.

So I'm surprised your wife got through a set in 25,000 kliks.

But low mileage may indicate the other problem than can affect disc/rotor life - rust pitting the surface through insufficient use. In other words, your wife doesn't/didn't drive the damned thing hard enough when she did use it!!

No doubt you'll disagree with this too - can't see anyone changing your mind that you have been hard done by!

Selling is good. It's only a car. Move on.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes thats right , my point Colin was Mitsubishi replaced my rotors under waranty , the same problem happened with the toe rag buy VW WOULD NOT REPLACE THEM UNDER WARANTY.
Sorry to hear about your Touareg Gazman. Warranty will cover a warped rotor as that is a fault with the manufacture, or fitting or design of the component. Whereas a worn rotor is typically wear n tear... but 25,000kms is certainly very poor rotor life?

Just out of interest... did your warning light come on to alert you to change pads/rotors, or it was advised by the service team? My rotors are wearing at 0.5-1.0mm every 15,000 kms.

Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good point, Paul. The upsell, when no brake pad wear warning light is on, is a classic scam operated by many dealers looking for the unwise who panic and pay.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,197 Posts
Different brand, but I've had an apparently good dealer recommend new pads/disks (rotors) when the pads were only 30% worn, ie 70% left - it's a nice money earner of full retail margin on the components and full dealer charge/hour using the cheapest apprentice on minimum wage.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have 20 k on my Scorpions still look new. Sorry to hear about yur problems, Scorpions lasted much better than Contis, did ya have Continentals they wore out at 26k miles on my first T3.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Got 90,000 miles out of my first set of brake rotors and pads on my 2012 TDI. Contrast that with 18,000 on our 2015 Audi A6 3.0 driven by the same 2 people the same way. One of the rotors on the A6 was cracked and 2 of them had uneven wear that caused severe pulsating. The only thing I can attribute this to is a manufacturing defect. Audi covered 1/2 the replacement cost since it was just 1 month out of warranty.

It's annoying, but I don't know if it's worth getting rid of a perfectly good vehicle and taking a huge $ hit. Too bad you didn't have a good dealer that would work with you. Today's Japanese vehicles are mostly not that different in reliability from any others if you look at the numbers. The worst piece of crap I ever owned was a 2003 Honda Civic. Hopefully you ended up with a Landcruiser.

·
Registered
801 Posts
GazMan - it sounds like you made the right choice for yourself then. Clearly you aren't comfortable with what is being reported in the press around the emissions scandal. I'm not sure what to say about your brakes - other than that they are consumable items like tyres. I wouldn't expect my dealer to replace my tyres when they wear out, and neither would I expect the dealer to replace my brakes when they wear out. You clearly have a bone to pick with VW - so you absolutely made the right choice for yourself. Be happy and move on, mate.

Reactions: Colin G

·
Registered
61 Posts
Gazman. Question is, what Japanese car do you replace the Touareg with? I have had two toyota Landcruisers in my last 5 cars, and I am back with a Touareg again. The Japanese just dont come up to the same levels as far as producing a car that you actually LIKE driving.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts