Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am a new member I've had my VW MY12 for nearly 2 years now and located in Melbourne, Australia. I've had non-stop problems with the car infotainment or computer system since purchase. Started with the navigation freezing however has got progressively worse where the complete computer system shuts down and resets itself whilst driving. I've had no luck with the VW dealership and the car has been back seven times now. Take a look at the below videos and you will be amazed at what happens to the vehicle. Any thoughts comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I feel I'm really getting nowhere ..
These are just a fraction of the videos and it very much happens daily. Apologies if this is not the right forum for this feed

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wowee, that's not good. To me, it seems like it is possibly a signal coming from the ignition module rather than the infotainment system itself. Have they checked this?

I've really no idea, just throwing up a possible cause.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wowee, that's not good. To me, it seems like it is possibly a signal coming from the ignition module rather than the infotainment system itself. Have they checked this? I've really no idea, just throwing up a possible cause.
Thanks for your reply bozdee. They claim to have checked everything, and even 'applied a fix from Germany' replaced the whole media and infotainment system that 'drives' the computer and electronics. I have not attached any after market parts and this was a factory fitted system. Really though I would say this vehicle is unroadworthy and unsafe? So, the question is also if I had to be caught speeding who is to blame? As I dont know what speed I am travelling at.. Apparently I am the only one in the world experiencing this problem. So my response is...replace the vehicle and you will have none!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Get a contact in VW Australia and send them the links to your videos and ask what they are going to do about it in the next two weeks before you go to the media.

·
Registered
223 Posts
After 7 returns "checking" and changing the info infotainment is simply not enough. Everything should have been changed by now to isolate and remove the fault. Earthing, looms, any module capable of causing the crash or the system to reset like that. You need to escalate to seniors at VW Au so they assign a senior client relations rep onto the dealer.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The last time (around 2 weeks ago) VW had the vehicle for 9 days and I was told 'Germany BELIEVE that there will be a solution for the issue and have announced that a software solution is currently in preparation that is planning for release mid March 2014" - So, I picked up the car
After sending an email to VW head office they called me yesterday and said we didn't realise you had picked up the vehicle. Ummmmmm - so you just expected me to leave the vehicle with you for 6 months???!!
Absolute disgrace, which is why after seven visits, I ultimately advised if the vehicle was not replaced by yesterday (8 November) i will be escalating to all available channels.
I haven't asked for compensation, or a higher model. All I have asked for, since they have been unable to fix or identify the problem is a new vehicle, or provide me with a touareg courtesy vehicle and you can have mine for as long as you like!
The only response I hear is we are waiting a response from Germany..it's like this response is on repeat mode!
Will upload more videos and hash tag, would be great to get the new CEO's email address..
I have now contacted consumer affairs Victoria, however the media sounds good - if anyone knows any contact there please pass on.
I still find it hard to believe Germany is creating a solution just for me and that I am the only one globally having this problem. So wouldn't you think if there is one report and they fix that report by replacing the vehicle they would then have no reports...and I would go away and I wouldn't find myself broadcasting this to the wider community...would be a good solution? however VW just don't get it!

·
Registered
756 Posts
If you are a member of RACV contact their advice line to see what might be possible avenues to get it resolved. Consumer affairs Vic should be your next port of call if VW are not addressing your problems in a timely manner. Make sure you have everything in writing from yourself to VW, even if you type an email to re confirm your discussion. Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Sorry to hear about your psycho Treg! Disgusting the way in which VW is treating you. Perhaps the power of social media may help. I'm imagining a FaceBook page right now "The Psycho Treg... Why won't VW help me?" or something like that. Links to your YouTube videos will work nicely on that.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks for your reply bozdee. They claim to have checked everything, and even 'applied a fix from Germany' replaced the whole media and infotainment system that 'drives' the computer and electronics. I have not attached any after market parts and this was a factory fitted system. Really though I would say this vehicle is unroadworthy and unsafe? So, the question is also if I had to be caught speeding who is to blame? As I dont know what speed I am travelling at.. Apparently I am the only one in the world experiencing this problem. So my response is...replace the vehicle and you will have none!
Imho the "unroadworthy" argument does not hold ground. The speedo reset is almost instantaneous and I bet that you always have a feeling of how fast you're going...Of course with such electrical problems you'll never know what will go out next. A dissatisfied customer (even more of such an expensive vehicle) is entitled to whatever it takes from their part to correct the problem even if it means a car replacement. Keep the pressure on...

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Imho the "unroadworthy" argument does not hold ground. The speedo reset is almost instantaneous and I bet that you always have a feeling of how fast you're going...Of course with such electrical problems you'll never know what will go out next. A dissatisfied customer (even more of such an expensive vehicle) is entitled to whatever it takes from their part to correct the problem even if it means a car replacement. Keep the pressure on...
But we don't know what else is going on with the electrical system, or what else may possibly be effected in the future - all while the vehicle is in motion.

If this were just happening while he was stopped, it wouldn't be specifically dangerous. But for the electrical system to act in this way while driving makes it all the more dangerous. What would happen if the system suddenly locked the steering wheel or cut the power steering?

·
Registered
361 Posts
But we don't know what else is going on with the electrical system, or what else may possibly be effected in the future - all while the vehicle is in motion. If this were just happening while he was stopped, it wouldn't be specifically dangerous. But for the electrical system to act in this way while driving makes it all the more dangerous. What would happen if the system suddenly locked the steering wheel or cut the power steering?
You're right...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for your help and advice it's to the point that my partner refuses to drive the vehicle. As it also happens when the vehicle is stopped. This video is an example where I am stationary.

This is the last report I received from VW 2 days ago

Next step is to register a report with product safety Australia

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
Thanks all for your help and advice it's to the point that my partner refuses to drive the vehicle. As it also happens when the vehicle is stopped. This video is an example where I am stationary.

VW TOUAREG MY12 speedo infotainment frenzy 4 REVIEW 2013 - YouTube

That seriously is not good enough

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

its seems that they "know" what this issue is. slow response though. it does seem rather 'digital' as opposed to random symptoms, although the frequency may appear random.

I would ask in writing if any other systems may be effected, if so request a replacement vehicle until fixed based on safety.

if you REALLY believe it is a safety issue then of course you would NOT drive it ever. otherwise why would you jeopardise your and other peoples (our) safety.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its seems that they "know" what this issue is. slow response though. it does seem rather 'digital' as opposed to random symptoms, although the frequency may appear random. I would ask in writing if any other systems may be effected, if so request a replacement vehicle until fixed based on safety. if you REALLY believe it is a safety issue then of course you would NOT drive it ever. otherwise why would you jeopardise your and other peoples (our) safety.
G'day, I suppose they also REALLY thought they had fixed it on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, replaced, 6th..get my point?

Yes, valid point - I also shouldn't be driving the vehicle, however do I leave it there for 6 months (continue to pay a car loan, for the cars value) and accept a hire car for 6 months? These are Selfish reasons, however I purchased this size vehicle, this vehicle price and brand for a reason. I didn't purchase - to then be put in something I didn't want or PAY for up to 6 months (whilst I continue to pay for my vehicle) for a 'BELIEVE there will be a solution that is CURRENTLY in PREPARATION and PLANNING for release in mid March 2014.

Your comments and feedback are valid, so I do thank you for contributing

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its seems that they "know" what this issue is. slow response though. it does seem rather 'digital' as opposed to random symptoms, although the frequency may appear random. I would ask in writing if any other systems may be effected, if so request a replacement vehicle until fixed based on safety. if you REALLY believe it is a safety issue then of course you would NOT drive it ever. otherwise why would you jeopardise your and other peoples (our) safety.
Apologies, I didn't answer your other point....I have been advised numerous times I am the only person globally experiencing this issue. I do find it hard to believe if I am the only person, that VW would be preparing a software solution just for little old me...

·
Registered
209 Posts
IMHO it's not a software problem. If it is then a lot more owners would be having the same issues.
Also the fact that it has become more of a problem over time suggests to me that it's a bad connection/earth or a cct bd somewhere with flakey components/dry joint probs.
When the fault occurs does the VAG Com store a diagnostic code?
Surely the car must see a problem, that's why it 'rolls over' the UI and boots it up again.
The diagnostic codes must give the service guys a clue - a blanket change of all components in that area is called for now IMHO....

1 - 20 of 91 Posts