Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else really excited about this news?!! All over the news now. WSJ Link This could finally be a potential Touareg replacement in the void left when VW pulled the plug on us in 2016. I realize this is an EV announcement too, but honestly for me that is even more exciting.

The linked article above indicatesa start for production of 2026 and 250k unit sales target…way more than all Touaregs I think ever sold in US combined.

Curious what other members think as I am still towing with my V8 Touareg and would love to try an electric with SS (I think that will be key here given the size and range requirements to hit that target).

Wheel Tire Car Motor vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, they totally and hilariously look alike at this point. Here is a Ravian for reference:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

I suppose at least The Ravian isn’t that ugly of a truck (I can’t stand the headlights personally). Also figure the final version could look completely different as this is supposedly to be designed by USA for USA. That brings me to a 2026 production date being pretty difficult to hit it would seem-unless something in some form exists already.

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They won't bring the Pickup here do to the chicken tax
Supposedly to be manufactured here so the chicken tax wouldn’t apply.

There have been several instances where Diess has indicated they were not against a pickup for USA and then recently VW released a Buzz updated rendering in Doka (pickup) form along with something like with “shall we take it to the next level.” Around the same time VW said it would only have a pickup for USA market if electric as that provides a better chance to break into the market as there are fewer competitions of BEV pickup at the moment.

They have been toying with this idea for a while, this announcement has a different feel in that it has VW board signing off on it.

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ll be driving my 2016 TDI until my 40’s… I am sure when the time comes my options will be varied
I hear you there, I am 40 now and have owned my 2007 now over 13 years. Longer than I have been married and I have three kids and a fourth on the way! I have no intention of ever selling it. I am still kicking myself for trading my 1988 GLI 16v some 16 years back. When you have a good thing don’t let go 😁

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is now a site ( www.Scoutmotors.com ) and Scout also started a forum on their website here: Scout forum . I guess the person spearheading the forum is the original creator of vwvortex and a big off-road fan with a lot of experience (see introductions there under username “[email protected]tors”. You might check it out and add some comments. I am not financially in the market for one of these today, but perhaps in the future and am more excited after reading the threads and feedback there.

The above site just went live it seems and their forum is filling up pretty fast with new threads and information.

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EV + made in usa = ___! If you put lipstick on a pig, it’s still a pig.
seriously if these EV objects could go 1,000 miles between re-charging that might spark some interest for me. But not the 200-250 mile range.
If I choose to travel 800 miles a day/9-10 hours drive, the delays to re-charge would make that distance impossible. Let alone finding a place to buy electricity while adventuring.
off-roading - well another impossibility for an EV object.
and in usa the cost of electricity is going up a lot - some places are announcing a 23% increase for electric bills this winter.
If I am to ever say good bye to premium gasoline (without ethanol) give me a feasible alternative for my drive times and wallet.
I am opened minded to EV because it is easier on my psychologically (because otherwise it is harder to take). I believe the ICE is far from being dead, but that regulations (and specially people elected) are making choices for us a a whole that is more or less getting rid of ICE in an “accelerated” manner. Then on a global scale we have China mandating a large portion of their vehicles be BEV as well as Europe. In the US, some states (some even being 100% by some date) are mandating this too.

For the record I don’t agree with this approach and feel people should vote with their wallets on what sells and doesn’t. I do think EV has certain advantages (charging at home and around city use being two). But I agree, making something for rural use that doesn’t have a range extender is pretty… naïve. To make something to tow with that is BEV is even more so. I recently read a motor trend article of the Ford F150 Lightening only being able to tow a trailer the size I have 90 miles??? Clearly a range extender is needed.

I do think battery tech will improve and get better, but I think until it does no group of people that were miseducated should be making these macro decisions that impact folks. I mean aside from above, what do you do in a power out? What do you do in the middle of the woods? Seriously?

I joined the forum I mentioned and voices these concerns…many others have too but have not received feedback from Scout yet. I do think from reading the forum that they intend the Scout to be robust and a serious off-roading…just heavy (batteries are heavy) and don’t seem to be addressing the range issue me and others are mentioning.

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
@JMGTreg14

I had to do a major edit…my iPhone was totally freaking out and messed up my post too much.

CARB in the US is the reason why people see this as a government mandate. CARB stipulates that by 2035 all light duty cars and trucks have to be either BEV or plug in. There is legislation in other states that are following CARB’s initiatives.

BEV does have fewer parts, and maintenance is easy. You can charge at home. Have a warm or cool car when you are ready to go if you are plugged in and have instant, smooth power.

The growing pains will be harder for some with battery tech. At present one cannot RV across the US with a BEV. I posted above and on the Scout forum about a motor trend article that mentioned the F150 lightening could only do 90 miles with my trailer. That doest work for many folks. We talk about this as RVers with other folks at the parks…they feel they will never own a BEV pickup because it simply wouldn’t work.

Please understand that I am more pro EV than most people I know. I too see this as the future-but battery tech has to catch up and it doesn’t seem too promising for towing anytime soon. A proper tow vehicle should tow like tow a 7,500 lbs trailer 250+miles between fill ups or 800 miles is a 14 hour period.

So I see what you are saying. I am excited about EV’s. I just wouldn’t be able to use one to do what I can right now with my old Treg that has well over 100k miles on it.

I am excited for the Scout brand because I think this is the smartest move by VAG since the original Beetle. I want to see Scout succeed and wish there was a way range wasn’t an issue like the range extending idea I posted over on their forum for a plug for wiring prep to be done and software to be coded allowing to charge while driving. A (yes gas) generator that could be plugged in. Scout wouldn’t need to provide the generator, just the prep for one (plug, exhaust coupler, and intake / ventilation.

Another idea I had was they batteries could be leased separately so as they could traded for new tech in the futures. Granted I am not an engineer, just a business banker-but it seems like a really good risk mitigation that would broaden the audience of potential buyers while also generating more future revenues that people would actually want to spend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts