Club Touareg Forum banner

13121 - 13138 of 13138 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reviewing fuel economy over 6 full tanks post fix (recorded by fuelly), my 2013 consistently measures 5-7% worse. That’s not towing, about 70/30 hwy/city miles commuting. In absolute terms it dropped from about 29 to low 27s.

I’m regularly annoyed by the lack of engine braking and holding gears longer when cold.

Haven’t towed enough to establish a new average.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Reviewing fuel economy over 6 full tanks post fix (recorded by fuelly), my 2013 consistently measures 5-7% worse. That’s not towing, about 70/30 hwy/city miles commuting. In absolute terms it dropped from about 29 to low 27s.

I’m regularly annoyed by the lack of engine braking and holding gears longer when cold.

Haven’t towed enough to establish a new average.
Mine is a little worse. 9 to 10%

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
My '10 does not seem all the different to me. Did when I first got it back, I did the other throttle reset I found on here and it seems back to normal for me. I guess there was only so much they could really do with mine knowing it was not going to ever meet the regs it was made for. I am not disappointed at all. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Last minute question...

Because of the substantial amount of money (I don't have an exact figure) VW is offering if I turn in my 2012 Sport TDI, it seems like I could actually buy a used one with less mileage for less money!

Question: am I correct in thinking that I can strip out/off various things (mats, fender protectors, etc) and maybe even tires, as long as the 'egg will roll to wherever I turn it in?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
Last minute question...

Because of the substantial amount of money (I don't have an exact figure) VW is offering if I turn in my 2012 Sport TDI, it seems like I could actually buy a used one with less mileage for less money!

Question: am I correct in thinking that I can strip out/off various things (mats, fender protectors, etc) and maybe even tires, as long as the 'egg will roll to wherever I turn it in?

I would not strip anything as they were starting to penalize people for doing so.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
You can put on old tires if you got them. That is about it. Put on 4 spare tires and you will get turned down.

Even the Judge (who was never VW's BFF) agreed that missing common parts were taking it too far. VW literally has the court's blessing to not accept a vehicle that is missing major parts.

jalopnik.com/volkswagen-refuses-to-buy-back-the-stripped-out-car

But USA Today reports that according to Judge Charles Breyer, the judge overseeing the settlement, that's not the case. Yes, the agreement does say a vehicle has to be operable. And yes, it defines an operable vehicle as one that moves under its own power. However, that doesn't mean Volkswagen will actually buy back a fully stripped vehicle.

"Clearly the purpose of the agreement by Volkswagen was to accept these cars in the condition that they were in as they were being driven on the road, and not to strip the cars," Breyer said in a hearing on Thursday.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't strip it. But if you want to swap the wheels and pull the removable mats they aren't going to refuse the vehicle.

I put the original mats in the vehicle and they didn't even look at or for them. They cared only about what was on the checklist.

If you have cheap aftermarket wheels and tires you could swap them. Is it worth the effort? Eh. I'm lazy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone know what the Tax status is on these buybacks?

Did you get an I9 for returning your treg?

Is it all taxable, partly taxable, not taxable?

Assume it was a personal purchase. In Oregon.
If anyone is still wondering... No taxes on the buyback or compensation. I forget the exact tax rules but it's basically treated like a rebate, or a discount you should have received, or returning something you bought. I believe the buy back even includes an estimate amount for the sales tax you paid. I never got a 1099 or any tax notice. Didn't report on my tax returns.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If I were you. I'd send it back to VW. They won't take care of you if anything like the HPFP goes bad. I am dealing with that right now. Save yourself the trouble and let VW have it. Take the money and run.

They are treating me pretty badly at this point. Although they are fixing the issue now the engine all of a sudden has no compression. Hmmm.

Avoid VW altogether. Not worth it. My advice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's what we did

Last minute question...

Traded a 90,000 mile '12 Lux for a 19,000 mile '16 lux and still got $ back from VW. Great deal. The only thing I kept from the '12 was the cargo cover - nothing was said about that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You may get a good deal on another TDI, but you're still spending real money. You can't spend your money and have it too.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
If I were you. I'd send it back to VW. They won't take care of you if anything like the HPFP goes bad. I am dealing with that right now. Save yourself the trouble and let VW have it. Take the money and run.

They are treating me pretty badly at this point. Although they are fixing the issue now the engine all of a sudden has no compression. Hmmm.

Avoid VW altogether. Not worth it. My advice.
Is this the new norm? Post fix and a hpfp goes in the 4 year 120k mile warranty period it's not covered? Or you really have to fight for it? I'm not sure what the exact numbers are for warranty but whatever they are.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey guys, I have been away for a while but had a few questions about buying an 09-10 tdi.

first of all, I had my 09 tdi bought back almost 2 years ago now, for almost 30k, last time I heard there was no fix and vw could not sell them.

but I was just looking on autotrader and there are lots and lots of 09-10 tdi, some with real low miles for anywhere from 8-14k.

did they eventually come up with a fix for the 09-10's? also, unless salvaged or something weird, why would these not be bought back for far more than they are listed for? I am just confused as to how these are being listed for sale by dealers now.

I am seriously considering getting one of these low priced options, unless someone can point out some huge things that I may have missed about these years or their fixes.

I have missed mine so much! nothing on the market these days comes even close to the same quality and performance.

thanks in advance. (if this has been discussed, a nod in the right direction is all I need, i didnt know how to search for such info)

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
There was a mild fix and imo did little to nothing to change the car at all. I was having odd shifting after the update, but did a throttle reset and nothing seems different to me. Does run a little weird for a bit on a cold start, but other than that seems fine.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
There was a mild fix and imo did little to nothing to change the car at all. I was having odd shifting after the update, but did a throttle reset and nothing seems different to me. Does run a little weird for a bit on a cold start, but other than that seems fine.
That description sounds like the only thing that really changed was a delete of the "acoustic function." That was the run rich routine that made the diesel run very gas like, but rich burn also means a lot of pollution was coming out of the cold diesel.

Now, running the cold diesel lean got rid of the excess pollution, but much like the old yakety saks song, the diesel wants to sing a new song, that I call clickity-clax.

At least that is my theory.

13121 - 13138 of 13138 Posts
About this Discussion
13.1K Replies
502 Participants
nickyt
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing