Club Touareg Forum banner

13081 - 13100 of 13138 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I had the chance to drive my wife's 2015 TDI with under 40,000 miles on it the other day, post fix as it will be 1 year this upcoming November, and was quite thrilled at how much power and how responsive the motor was/is. I can't tell a single bit of change since the fix.

Phew.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I can't do malone anyway, CA emissions! Not interested anyway, I am happy with the power it has, I tune actual cars like Alfa Romeo's instead. Makes no sense for me on a 125K mile car. If it had less miles I might do at least the tune without the DPF delete. Still not sure if that would pass CA emissions and if they even have new software for new emissions fixed vehicles.

No I don't like the smell because there is something wrong. If it was suppose to smell this bad, I would have not bought the car. I don't want my daily to pollute and stink. Sorry!

Anyway dealer can't figure it out. I think new techs do not know anything that the computer does not tell them is wrong. They cannot diagnose what the problem is. So I have escalated the issue to a regional tech to figure out the problem.
I may need to take to a larger city with a long time veteran tech.

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
I can't do malone anyway, CA emissions! Not interested anyway, I am happy with the power it has, I tune actual cars like Alfa Romeo's instead. Makes no sense for me on a 125K mile car. If it had less miles I might do at least the tune without the DPF delete. Still not sure if that would pass CA emissions and if they even have new software for new emissions fixed vehicles.

No I don't like the smell because there is something wrong. If it was suppose to smell this bad, I would have not bought the car. I don't want my daily to pollute and stink. Sorry!

Anyway dealer can't figure it out. I think new techs do not know anything that the computer does not tell them is wrong. They cannot diagnose what the problem is. So I have escalated the issue to a regional tech to figure out the problem.
I may need to take to a larger city with a long time veteran tech.
Did this all start after the fix?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yea kind of strange that it started after the update. Surely someone will figure it out.

The previous owner decided instead of paying 3k for a new DPF He would get it tuned. I am not sure what I would have done if it happened to me. Supposedly the tune willhelp with turbo and engine longevity because it’s able to breath and spool better.. but not sure if there is much science behind that. Still definitely nothing like the pollution from the 1/4 ton pickups. But definitely more. Yea Cali is strict. You would probably not be able to get away with much there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay, this has helped - a lot! I schedule the fix. Also (since you have air shocks), can the Touareg builtin air compressor be adapted for a tire filing and air toys compressor?

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
Okay, this has helped - a lot! I schedule the fix. Also (since you have air shocks), can the Touareg builtin air compressor be adapted for a tire filing and air toys compressor?
It is only recommend to be used for filling the shocks as well as low tires. It comes with a hose that attaches to a connector under the front passenger seat. The hose screws on to the valve stems and won't work for anything else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you happen to know if all the electrical harnessing and (under) front passenger seat connector air line / hardware is already installed when they leave the assembly line? Or will I need to have all that stuff installed?

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
Do you happen to know if all the electrical harnessing and (under) front passenger seat connector air line / hardware is already installed when they leave the assembly line? Or will I need to have all that stuff installed?

Thanks again!
You will not have anything if your vehicle was no equipped with it from the factory. Not worth doing after the fact.

·
Registered
244 Posts
DEF usage data point:

I just filled the DEF tank for the second time, 13,900 miles after the emissions modification. This represents a decrease in consumption versus the car's factory emissions programs. 2016s are supposed to be unique in seeing a drop in consumption.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Not related to emissions fix but covered!

After 5 days at the dealer the dummies could not figure out anything. They can't figure out anything because the computer is not telling them anything is wrong, so they are clueless! They need a code otherwise they can't think or go further. Got it home, did some research and found the problem without hardly trying.

EGR connecting pipe off bottom of turbo cooler. Cracked around the flex pipe area.

VW 059-131-521-F

Ordering it up and having dumb dumbs at the dealer install it under warranty! $350 part Thanks VW!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Send them an invoice with your diagnostic fee and labour.
Not related to emissions fix but covered!

After 5 days at the dealer the dummies could not figure out anything. They can't figure out anything because the computer is not telling them anything is wrong, so they are clueless! They need a code otherwise they can't think or go further. Got it home, did some research and found the problem without hardly trying.

EGR connecting pipe off bottom of turbo cooler. Cracked around the flex pipe area.

VW 059-131-521-F

Ordering it up and having dumb dumbs at the dealer install it under warranty! $350 part Thanks VW!!!
Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Nope, have to pass CA emissions plus I am not into screwing up the environment anymore that it already is. Plus, well...An EGR delete is ILLEGAL in ALL 50 STATES. All vehicles are required to meet federal emissions standards. The penalty for an emissions component alteration can be in the thousands of dollars. Sort of defeating things when you remove it. The EGR valve is not simply about re-burning exhaust gasses to try to clean up the emissions. In fact, it's more about saving fuel and as a side effect, reducing emissions.

The EGR valve does not open under heavy load and therefore, you will not be burning exhaust gasses while at wide open throttle. The idea that it somehow hurts power is simply yet another forum myth based on the thought that it "always" mixes noncombustible exhaust gasses with the air/fuel mixture - but it doesn't.

In reality, the valve opens at small throttle openings and in closed throttle situation to help fill the cylinders that are hungry for air but aren't getting any due to the throttle being in the way. It is true that the EGR recycles exhaust gas through the engine and those gasses are less than optimum for combustion. However, at low throttle angles your engine isn't struggling to make power so much as it is struggling to work against the vacuum being created by the pistons traveling up and down the bore.

Plus I am legal and not falling for the EGR delete myth. Plus then I'd need to get a an ECU remap to remove it from the system, otherwise I have CEL's and polluting like mad. Plus even with remap there is no colossal gains to be had that are worthwhile.

Anyway, I'll keep it plus it's free from dealer. thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank for the Tip, Skippatrick!

There is a 2016 Touareg VW TDI for sale brand-new (59k) in Augusta Maine. It's under the O'Connor VW website they list 2 New vehicles available. One is a 2017 gasser and the other is the TDI. There are no pictures online. I have seen this car on the lot and in person. It's white with the corn silk interior and if I'm not mistaken it's the executive...... this is not my normal VW dealership I was just driving by and of course being a Touareg man I had to stop and look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Skippatrick!

I read your post about the White / Corn Silk Touareg TDI (Lux!) in Augusta, ME back in January, 2018 when I developed a fixation to buy one. I live near Augusta and know the owner of that dealership where you saw it. Thanks to your tip - since the dealer was not yet advertising the car that just came off the hold in November, 2017 - I snapped up the Touareg and LOVE IT!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
After my fix over a year ago, I thought we got AdBlue refills as part of the extended warranty due to the increase in consumption of the DEF. My dealer is saying that is not the case. I don't have the booklet to hand, does anybody know about this?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Page 5 of the booklet (VW_GEN2.2 3LTDI.USA-0001) they sent out in 2017 states: They will refill adblue between service intervals for 10 years / 120,000 miles from the vehicles original in service date; or 4 years / 48,000 miles from the date and mileage of the emissions modification.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The title does say: Important Information About Your 2015-2016 3.0L TDI Volkswagen. So not sure if owners of other years got something different,

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
The title does say: Important Information About Your 2015-2016 3.0L TDI Volkswagen. So not sure if owners of other years got something different,
Same deal for my 2014.

13081 - 13100 of 13138 Posts
About this Discussion
13.1K Replies
502 Participants
nickyt
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing