Club Touareg Forum banner
2141 - 2160 of 13152 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Is any one else seeing a Dr Jekyll / Mr Hyde Problem in the current VW announcements?

Dr Jekyll is telling us that a culture of corporate fear, bad management, and inflexibility created this problem for VW. Employees, who were backed up against a wall, made bad decisions but (lacking simply quitting) those employees lacked other viable alternatives to those decisions.

Mr Hyde is telling us that it was just a few rogue employees not following procedures. Mr Hyde plans to double down on all VW employees by "tracking them more aggressively" and implementing new procedures to ensure less employee flexibility and that managements will be done.

Sadly if you reread the VW announcement of Thursday from this perspective, it looks like a really bad place to be working at. To vastly over simplify. VW management good, we did not do this. VW rogues bad, bad employees did it. VW management needs to double down on all employees, track them better, micro manage them more, and generally stop using the lax and benevolent management style that allowed this to happen.
I don't know, listening to it live, Herr Müller sounded pretty passionate - in Germanic fashion - about cutting the hierarchical dogma, open lines of communication, being brave and pushing good ideas to market, and so on...

It was pretty upbeat for an otherwise dour update based on the required transparency of the day. But, it was a far cry from Winterkorn's infamous ice cold, impossibly layered, sycophant driven management style.

I really believe the best days of VAG are now on the horizon...

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I don't know, listening to it live, Herr Müller sounded pretty passionate - in Germanic fashion - about cutting the hierarchical dogma, open lines of communication, being brave and pushing good ideas to market, and so on...

It was pretty upbeat for an otherwise dour update based on the required transparency of the day. But, it was a far cry from Winterkorn's infamous ice cold, impossibly layered, sycophant driven management style.

Hope so...trim the fat and give us what we want.

Why did I have to get the auto hold switch installed? Because some bean counter removed it. Why did I have to beg for ventilated seats with adjustable side bolsters? Because some marketing honcho felt we wouldn't want it. I wasn't asking for these things to be made just for our market...those items already were in the parts bin.

Would like to see VW be more nimble. Kia/Hyundai know our market and give consumers what is desired.

·
Registered
960 Posts
do we scream over our politicians or big pharma caring less about saving lives versus $$. No just this piuney little tdi segment cause we are involved. I still think I am gonna get cards back and hopefully some awareness about the ad blue delivery system.
Sorrento ain't for me

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Agree, neighbor to the North! I'm not a Kia person but do admire the spunk.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fischer. Your right I messed up my calculation. 11K is right. And I got my new Toureg a week before the Dieslegate hit the fan. So $75 K sounds about right. Plus the luxury tax I paid on that. I'm not trading it in or selling right now. But in a few years I'm sure when I do. Who ever buys it or takes it as a trade will de value the vehicle. So VW should pay us now on what it is worth today. Mine was brand new. So $75 K. If you have a 2014 it may be worth $50 at the time of Dieslegate. So pay based on that. Sounds pretty fair. We will all suffer on the price we paid. Next month when the thousands of 16 s go on sale and all the left over 15 s go on sale I can assure you an execline will be a lot less than $75,000 ( Canada price ). I bet they sell for around $62-63 K.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just to clarify my comment to this post.

I think you were using the exchange rate of that day to come up with your calculations.

This would be true for those that bought just before the 3.0 Saga and affected some people. It can not be used for those that purchase in 2014 or when the exchange rate was just 6 to7 cents difference. Going back to your calculation, if a person is buying a Touareg $13,000. cheaper than an American, then it would also go both ways as an American, if possible I would go to Canada to buy a fully equipped Touareg execline Rline with my US dollars, get the exchange rate and the cost would be close to the $13,000 saving you are talking about, so actually it cancels out a Canadian buying a Touareg cheaper than an American as they can do the same thing. It is all about the exchange rate and cross border shopping and it is to the Americans advantage presently.
The problem with that scenario is that it is usually "illegal" to sell new vehicle to cross border shoppers, from the manufacturer to dealer agreements. In other words, Ford will retract the dealer license of a Canadian dealer selling to a US citizen to take the vehicle into the US.
It would not surprise me that all manufacturers do this, including VW.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Fischer. Your right I messed up my calculation. 11K is right. And I got my new Toureg a week before the Dieslegate hit the fan. So $75 K sounds about right. Plus the luxury tax I paid on that. I'm not trading it in or selling right now. But in a few years I'm sure when I do. Who ever buys it or takes it as a trade will de value the vehicle. So VW should pay us now on what it is worth today. Mine was brand new. So $75 K. If you have a 2014 it may be worth $50 at the time of Dieslegate. So pay based on that. Sounds pretty fair. We will all suffer on the price we paid. Next month when the thousands of 16 s go on sale and all the left over 15 s go on sale I can assure you an execline will be a lot less than $75,000 ( Canada price ). I bet they sell for around $62-63 K.
Agree if you're selling now. If you're selling later, I'm not sure what it's going to be worth. If you keep it 4-plus years, I don't see it mattering as much as most of the depreciation would have taken place.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,444 Posts

I did not see it live. It would be wonderful if VAG could change. They seem to be slipping ever deeper into the rabbit hole for the past decade. :(

VW on one hand denies they did it, then says yes, we did it while at the same time saying that nope, it was not us in VW who did it, it was the unaccountable rogues in VW who did it. :confused:

VAG finally admitted it to the EPA (after denials), then admitted to other possible problems in Europe. Now VW is running around in the other parts of the world (currently India) saying that Nope, it is not happening in India. :confused:

It all seems very convoluted.

Did you get any indication that VAG is going to take "personal responsibility" for the actions that were committed and are they ready to take a hard look at the mess/the joke they have become?

Hopefully the answer is yes and that will lead VAG into changing from what they are and becoming a newer and better version of a world class auto manufacturer.

VW it is not too late. You can still redeem yourself.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
It sounds convoluted because it is convoluted! Probably a dozen localized variations on each basic engine iteration to meet local emissions standards. You change one little thing on just one of those localized engines and it has ramifications on not just emissions but MPG, reliability, and owner experience. I can't imagine the magnitude the task to roll this all out around the world in dozens of variations while striving to do it correctly and thoroughly and make everyone happy.

I think VW is taking this very seriously, but this is a monumental task.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I did not see it live. It would be wonderful if VAG could change. They seem to be slipping ever deeper into the rabbit hole for the past decade. :(

VW on one hand denies they did it, then says yes, we did it while at the same time saying that nope, it was not us in VW who did it, it was the unaccountable rogues in VW who did it. :confused:

VAG finally admitted it to the EPA (after denials), then admitted to other possible problems in Europe. Now VW is running around in the other parts of the world (currently India) saying that Nope, it is not happening in India. :confused:

It all seems very convoluted.

Did you get any indication that VAG is going to take "personal responsibility" for the actions that were committed and are they ready to take a hard look at the mess/the joke they have become?

Hopefully the answer is yes and that will lead VAG into changing from what they are and becoming a newer and better version of a world class auto manufacturer.

VW it is not too late. You can still redeem yourself.
Chairman Poetsch spent the first 1/2 hour apologizing, owning up to the problems and recognizing the impact in client trust. He was all about personal responsibility, rebuilding trust (one customer at a time), and vowed not to stop the investigation (with an independent outside firm Jones Day) until they have all the answers as to why and how and who made this happen.

They both referenced the siloed culture that was too beaurocratic, over staffed, secretive, and heiarical. Basically no one talked to each other between brands and no one felt safe coming forward. They've identified 400 with knowledge of the events, some have been removed from their posts and some now felt safe to come forward.

Make no mistake this is an EA189 problem. And the fraud started in the beginning (2006) when they abandoned the Bosch system for Winterkorns magic NOx filter. The problem is a much bigger/complicated deal in NA than anywhere else (read: class action suits).

This new screen is the fix. It's inexpensive and will take all year to supply and fix all the cars impacted. Why didnt they do it before? Because the material didn't exist before. Personally, I'm sceptical of another in-line magic screen, but it's their show. God help them if they are wrong a second time...

Overall the tone is as you would expect. We are sorry. We screwed up. We will take care of those impacted (and some mention of something for all owners). Rebuilding trust with our customers and employees is Job 1. We will be a better, more streamlined, customer focused company because of all this. Better products are coming.

But no mention of a future of my diesel hybrid, or the commitment to diesels in general :(

Still don't understand why they said the 3.0L will get a new catalytic converter, but whatever. I'm hoping for a longer warrantee on the AdBlue system.

Reactions: nickyt

·
Registered
593 Posts
This is not the end of the beginning. For the lover of diesel passenger vehicles, this is the beginning of the end. Gentlemen, start your batteries.

Reactions: Oregon TDI

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
This is not the end of the beginning. For the lover of diesel passenger vehicles, this is the beginning of the end. Gentlemen, start your batteries.
I think you're right.

Reactions: Oregon TDI

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Yeah, but it will be a long time (at least a decade) coming.

Mercedes seems to be a lot more forthcoming on this issue then the others. A slow gradual shift away from combustion until around 2025 when electric will take the lead in automotive engines.

And even that is not the end for combustion engines. Just the tipping point where the majority is electric and the minority is not. Anything that is designed for both towing and long range is not going electric until we have another breakthrough in technology. The combination of those two can not be done by what we have today. And some sport type vehicles are going to last a looooong time on gas engines. The camry and civics are going all electric baby. Electric Appliances... All the way.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Chairman Poetsch spent the first 1/2 hour apologizing, owning up to the problems and recognizing the impact in client trust. He was all about personal responsibility, rebuilding trust (one customer at a time), and vowed not to stop the investigation (with an independent outside firm Jones Day) until they have all the answers as to why and how and who made this happen.

They both referenced the siloed culture that was too beaurocratic, over staffed, secretive, and heiarical. Basically no one talked to each other between brands and no one felt safe coming forward. They've identified 400 with knowledge of the events, some have been removed from their posts and some now felt safe to come forward.

Make no mistake this is an EA189 problem. And the fraud started in the beginning (2006) when they abandoned the Bosch system for Winterkorns magic NOx filter. The problem is a much bigger/complicated deal in NA than anywhere else (read: class action suits).

This new screen is the fix. It's inexpensive and will take all year to supply and fix all the cars impacted. Why didnt they do it before? Because the material didn't exist before. Personally, I'm sceptical of another in-line magic screen, but it's their show. God help them if they are wrong a second time...

Overall the tone is as you would expect. We are sorry. We screwed up. We will take care of those impacted (and some mention of something for all owners). Rebuilding trust with our customers and employees is Job 1. We will be a better, more streamlined, customer focused company because of all this. Better products are coming.

But no mention of a future of my diesel hybrid, or the commitment to diesels in general :(

Still don't understand why they said the 3.0L will get a new catalytic converter, but whatever. I'm hoping for a longer warrantee on the AdBlue system.
Thank you for the detailed reply.

The adblue system should have 10year/100k as a minimum at this point. I guess the automatic goodwill fixes will have to do for now, but I wish VW would officially extend the warranty on those badly designed systems.

Yes, it hard to believe a sink strainer can be a valid fix.

Had a nice laugh at Winterkorns magic NOx filter!

Yes, VW has great challenges to overcome. But heck, they are no more screwed up then the Ford Motor Company was and Ford has went from a world class mess to a world class success in just a decade. I have spent the last 10 years looking at the engines they shipped. Ford has went for 10 years behind technology to cutting edge in the last decade. And Ford has fixed their corporate culture of fear and loathing. That was an fantastic feat that Ford has pulled off.

Imagine if VW decides to reorganize plus double down on technology. What would happen if VW manages to move forward at the same rate that Ford did!

I guess the corporate denials that still are occurring in the outer regions of VW and the "naturally" slow rate of any bureaucratic change is getting me down. Watching VW choose the bean counting, de-contenting, warranty weaseling path since 2006 has just left me feeling like the guy that bought the lifetime season pass the to team that might soon win the super bowl and every year since then, they have performed worse and worse. From the top 20% to the bottom 20% was quite a slide to watch. VW, can you manage to turn that ship around? There are icebergs ahead if you don't.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah, but it will be a long time (at least a decade) coming.

Mercedes seems to be a lot more forthcoming on this issue then the others. A slow gradual shift away from combustion until around 2025 when electric will take the lead in automotive engines.

And even that is not the end for combustion engines. Just the tipping point where the majority is electric and the minority is not. Anything that is designed for both towing and long range is not going electric until we have another breakthrough in technology. The combination of those two can not be done by what we have today. And some sport type vehicles are going to last a looooong time on gas engines. The camry and civics are going all electric baby. Electric Appliances... All the way.
I'm going to suggest a longer timeline than 10 years for electric to overtake combustion simply due to the dynamics of power generation and grid infrastructure.
Think about it like this, suppose everyone in a 2 square mile radius of your house suddenly wanted an EV and put in a charger. Now, everyone wants to charge between 5 and 7 in the evening from getting home and going out. As well, all the usual load is on the system - cooking, maybe laundry, etc.

Until cities and towns upgrade the ability to handle those types of loads it will remain combustion.
Sure, some cities and towns will be leaders in the changeover, can you imagine Detroit or Chicago spending the money to upgrade? How about fed gov subsidies to everyone? Happening?

Also, people really love their pickup trucks. I don't see these converting to E soon.

2141 - 2160 of 13152 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.