1,817 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
827 Posts
Ok,now what happens ? A new emissions system maybe? New DPFs ,cats etc. This is why so many car manufacturers won't touch the deisel issues.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Here is what EPA/CA stated ...

Carmaker allegedly used software that circumvents emissions testing for certain air pollutants

09/18/2015: EPA, California Notify Volkswagen of Clean Air Act Violations

Here in IL and I would assume a few more states, our local EPA doesn't even test diesels for emissions, they're exempt (as well as EV's and NG powered vehicles)

Here is the key 'admission' by VW of its presence:

"EPA and CARB uncovered the defeat device software after independent analysis by researchers at West Virginia University, working with the International Council on Clean Transportation, a non-governmental organization, raised questions about emissions levels, and the agencies began further investigations into the issue. In September, after EPA and CARB demanded an explanation for the identified emission problems, Volkswagen admitted that the cars contained defeat devices."

·
Registered
438 Posts
Guessing we are getting 1/2 the story.

Wondering if it is out of spec all the time except when being tested, or just drops out for a few conditions to aid drivability (or some other decent reason) and just makes sure it doers not drop out during testing?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Always wondered why my 2010 TDI Golf Wagen (Jetta Sportswagen) did not 'Need' Adblue while my 2014 Touareg did. Now we know why. Very disappointed in VW

Mike

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Guessing we are getting 1/2 the story.

Wondering if it is out of spec all the time except when being tested, or just drops out for a few conditions to aid drivability (or some other decent reason) and just makes sure it doers not drop out during testing?
Agree.

I don't think VW would go to that extreme. I am sure they know that everybody get caught eventually. Doing this in purpose is suicidal. $18bil in fines can put this company in a tailspin.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Don't forge the EPA is run by the administration that so still trying to prove they did the right thing with GM.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
On the surface this looks really bad...

VAG needs to respond quickly and correctly. This has the earmarks of bringing bigger brand damage than the falsely accused "run away" Audis of the 80's. Even though the 3.0L TDI is not mentioned, it could easily become collateral damage in a PR nightmare.

VAG has admitted to building an algorithm for the 2.0L TDI that knows when it is being tested for emissions. If they delibritly, knowingly, purposely programmed the vehicle to cheat, I'm not sure what response could even be offered. But VAG better know...

If proven true, VAG is going to pay a heavy price in the court of public appeal (let alone what the regulators will do).

"TDI" has become an important brand attribute in NA - and around the world. If the acronym turns into a joke like, "Totally Deceitful Information", than I'm afraid our resale values will go down along with VAGs reputation.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Looking forward to VW's official response. That will be key. A PR nightmare in any event but I think VW will find a way to mitigate it. Agree that the 'Clean Diesel' slogan is over no matter the outcome.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Why would that be? What's different in the Touareg, Q7, and Cayanne's emission system?
Article states: The agency said the diesel cars that violated federal standard were the 2009-14 Volkswagen Jetta, Beetle and Golf, the 2014-15 Volkswagen Passat, and the 2009-15 Audi A3.

4 cylinder TDI.

More info on TDIClub : Official: Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs triggers massive recall - TDIClub Forums
Could it be that SUVs and trucks have a higher pollution allowance? So they didn't have to cover it up?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Looking forward to VW's official response. That will be key. A PR nightmare in any event but I think VW will find a way to mitigate it. Agree that the 'Clean Diesel' slogan is over no matter the outcome.
Yep, it all comes down to what VAG says Monday. "Ze EPA vanted von tested outcome, Ve gave vem von tested outcome...and then ve vent back to polluting ze air", probably won't work so well...

I'll never forget the 60 Minutes "Audi Killer" interview. The VAG engineer, unemotionally sitting there saying, "It is not ze kar, it is ze driver." With the driver on the other side of the interview being a mother who killed her son by driving him through the garage door, through the garage itself, and into the pool.

Even though it proved to be driver error, it still destroyed Audi for 10+ years here.

Thankfully we aren't talking about loss-of-life, but in many respects this could be much worse for VAG...

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Could it be that SUVs and trucks have a higher pollution allowance? So they didn't have to cover it up?
Believe it or not, I think it has something to do with the 3.0L AdBlue system being more sophisticated?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
It's crazy to think what it would cost - if its even possible - to retrofit 500,000 2.0 TDIs with our "so reliable" emissions system.

On the other hand, if they have to change the programming, one would speculate it would have to change the HP, torque figures, and therefore dramatically cut the milage and performance numbers.

This is brewing into an epic cluster f*ck!

Sh*tty day for already misunderstood diesel's...

1 - 20 of 13138 Posts